Neat thing about those Pacific Salts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Neat thing about those Pacific Salts

Post by vivi »

They don't set off metal detectors I've been through.

I've carried mine into amusement parks, concerts, NBA games etc. Never set one off.

Obviously don't do something stupid with this info like carry one into court, but it's nice for a day at six flags or something.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Re: Neat thing about those Pacific Salts

Post by The Meat man »

That's weird. It certainly is a magnetic steel.

Good to know!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Hmmm, interesting anecdotal evidence. I'm not convinced :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not something to try at TSA checkpoints though, where you’re 50/50 going to be sent through a metal detector or those millimeter wave detectors (the ones where you raise your hands above your head). Good luck explaining that to them... ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Good to know!
I have no idea why it happens. I may pick up a cheap metal detector wand and wave it over my pockets with different knives clipped to it.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:50 pm
Not something to try at TSA checkpoints though, where you’re 50/50 going to be sent through a metal detector or those millimeter wave detectors (the ones where you raise your hands above your head). Good luck explaining that to them... ;)
Yup, I only try this at places where I can walk back to my car and drop it off if need be. Flying I put a padlock through the spyderhole and toss that in my checked luggage.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm thinking the metal detectors were visual and not functional. I have metal detectors you run across the ground and they are incredibly sensitive, a knife blade would kick it into overload mode....

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:19 pm
I've carried mine into amusement parks, concerts, NBA games etc.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:59 pm
Vivi wrote:
I've carried mine into amusement parks, concerts, NBA games etc.
“It’s for cutting apples!”
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

It could be that you can't heat treat H1 the way you can other steels
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Huh, that's very interesting, Vivi.

I just did some googling and apparently austenitic stainlesses like H1 are harder to pick up, due to low electrical conductivity and being non magnetic.

Some types of detectors can be tuned to pick up a response better, apparently.

This article claims that some 'high end stainless' is practically 'invisible' to detectors which use magnetism and electrical conductivity to pick up ferrous and non-ferrous metals:

https://detectingschool.com/do-metal-de ... ess-steel/
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Interesting although I don't think I'll try it.......
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd give it a try somewhere that I could get away with playing dumb like I forgot but not anywhere that it could get me arrested. I did accidentally carry a Military into a government building once that didn't have a metal detector or guards at the door but the guard at the front desk spotted it immediately. He was cool though and just asked me to put it in my car. I remembered my Glock but the knife is so second nature I forget it's there sometimes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Good to know!
Yes, H1 does stick to magnets, and thus is a magnetic steel. I say this, because in the past I've read posts from some people who have said that H1 is more akin to a 'glass' than a steel, which is incorrect.

I'd never tempt fate by trying to get it past a detector, though. Not worth the potential hassle for me.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 pm
.... Flying I put a padlock through the spyderhole and toss that in my checked luggage.
That's a great idea Vivi! The padlock is a definite deterrent to someone stealing it.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Vivi wrote:
They don't set off metal detectors I've been through.

I've carried mine into amusement parks, concerts, NBA games etc. Never set one off.

Obviously don't do something stupid with this info like carry one into court, but it's nice for a day at six flags or something.
Did you remove the clip?
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

no
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am pretty sure metal detectors are adjustable. On the highest setting the rivets on your jeans will set it off and on the lowest setting it will take a handgun to set it off. It all depends on where they choose to set the sensitivity.

I forgot I had my BK14 around my neck once and walked through a metal detector in a government building without an issue.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If the metal detector is properly adjusted it should pick up an H1 knife. I would agree that they had the sensitivity set too low.
As an anecdote, I went to a major amusement park down here and on the morning visit I went through the detector without incident, later when we returned in the afternoon my watch set the detector off and I had to be wanded.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Very interesting... years ago I carried a Pacific Salt in my waistband in the Philippines. We ended up going to a mall in Baguio City and I was a little nervous because they had security guards with metal detecting wands checking people before they entered.

They were not able to detect it, but my wife told me the wands were probably fake.

I definitely would not knowingly try to get one through a metal detector though.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

as much as i hate my freedom being trampled by people who are afraid of everything, i definitely don’t want to be caught “accidentally” carrying an almost 4” spyderedge knife in all black tucked into my waistband. “whoops” isn’t going to be very believable in that moment and the knife would appear even more murdery (in the words of mr. shabazz) because it would seem like i was trying to hide it.
i usually place my knife in plain sight. when security freaks out about it, i calmly have a conversation with them about freedom and how knives are tools before walking it back to the car. i don’t think it’s worth getting caught sneaking it into a place you aren’t supposed to have it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C