a painful lesson relearned *update*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: a painful lesson relearned *update*

Post by steelcity16 »

So, the CRAZIEST thing happened to me the other day!

I was walking down the street in a neighborhood near mine and I saw a box just sitting on someone's porch! Just sitting there, like they had left it out on the curb on trash day. I couldn't believe my luck! So I go grab the box and open it with my trusty Spyderco Chap LW and to my surprise it was a brand new pack of coffee filters! Why someone would put a brand new pack of coffee filters out on their porch like trash is beyond me, but i'll take what I can get. Unfortunately for me, I drink Stok Cold Brew by the gallon, so I don't have a huge need for coffee filters. They are handy for lint free buffing and filtering other non-coffee liquids though. Like drawn butter for my Lobster tail dinners. Or, worst case, I could return them to Target for store credit that I can use for a few bottles of Stok Cold Brew. So I grab the filters, but leave the empty box. Why did I leave the box you ask? Because I know how much stuff I ship out weekly and how expensive boxes are, so I'm sure they will appreciate it next time they need to mail something!

Sooo, I start heading home with my brand new coffee filters, whistling a tune thinking about all of the non-coffee things I am going to filter. Motor oil, paint, gas, drawn butter...mmmm....lobster. Then it happened again! ANOTHER box just sitting out on someone's porch like discarded trash! So I head up there to check it out and BOOM! I couldn't believe it! It was from my favorite knife dealer BladeHeadquarters! I set my filters down on the ground and grab the package. I open it with my trusty Chap LW, and there is was. The unmistakable red and black of a Spyderco box! Why would someone throw out a brand new Spyderco knife? Must be a Benchmade fan, or maybe a wife who was upset with her husband for ordering another new knife instead of paying the phone bill. Regardless, I was so excited that I completely forgot about the coffee filters and I headed home with my Spyderco knives!

The next day I decided to go see if my coffee filters were still there. I brought the BHQ shipping box back as well just in case the person needed a box for mailing something out. The coffee filters were gone! Someone else must have walked by and thought they were discarded trash and grabbed them. Bummer. I hid the empty BHQ box behind a planter so no one would see it and think it was trash and grab it. Hopefully they appreciate my kind gesture! :D

So that was my awesome week! Anything interesting happen to any of you this week?? :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
blues

Post by blues »

^^^^Why do you feel the need to piss all over the guy's thread? Move on if you don't care for it. At this point you're just proving yourself to be an ***.

Nobody here knows what the facts are. Either accept the OP at his word or move on. You've had more than your share of time on the soapbox.
- Retired from the chase -
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blues wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:30 am

^^^^Why do you feel the need to piss all over the guy's thread? Move on if you don't care for it. At this point you're just proving yourself to be an ***.

Nobody here knows what the facts are. Either accept the OP at his word or move on. You've had more than your share of time on the soapbox.

If you are talking to me I think you need go back to lurking this forum. Its clearly a joke and I'm not trying to piss on anyone. :rolleyes: I was the one who called out someone in this thread for trolling. This is just me trying to get inside the mind of whatever deranged individual would do something insane like this. :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I enjoy humor and didn't find the post to be offensive, but the effort certainly outweighed the effect, lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:55 am
I enjoy humor and didn't find the post to be offensive, but the effort certainly outweighed the effect, lol.

Thanks Pelagic! ;) It was clearly for entertainment purposes and not meant to discredit ZrowsN1s story in any regard. I don't doubt that it happened like he said. Crazy stuff like this happens all the time in the US of meth! :(
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

As a Canadian who sometimes orders stuff from our neighbours to the south, I prefer USPS over any of the couriers.
blues

Post by blues »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 am
If you are talking to me I think you need go back to lurking this forum. Its clearly a joke and I'm not trying to piss on anyone. :rolleyes: I was the one who called out someone in this thread for trolling. This is just me trying to get inside the mind of whatever deranged individual would do something insane like this. :confused:
Guess you're right. I thought you were mocking the OP by posting it. Too many years investigating complex matters to see the simple one in front of me, I guess.

Apologies.

Lurk mode engaged.
- Retired from the chase -
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

blues wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:02 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 am
Guess you're right. I thought you were mocking the OP by posting it. Too many years investigating complex matters to see the simple one in front of me, I guess.

Apologies.

Lurk mode engaged.

Lol. No worries. Thanks for the apology! :)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

blues wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:02 am
Apologies.

Lurk mode engaged.
Hey blues, it’s all sorted. No need to retreat to lurk mode. We’re all good and we want you to participate. We all have different perspectives.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Lots of testy threads popping up lately...heck is going on here lately!?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:03 am
Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 am
I do really enjoy seafood though.
I too love seafood...but certainly won't say what restaurants I enjoy eating it at :rolleyes:
Hahaa :D

Calamari, Octopus, Shrimp, Crab, Lobster, Scallops, Clams, beer battered fish n chips, a good fish taco. All good. Not much for other fish though, can't abide salmon, don't eat sushi (except for the crab and shrimp variety). Fished with my Grandfather when he was alive, we'd eat the Largemouth Bass we caught. Haven't done much fishing since he passed.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:15 am
So, the CRAZIEST thing happened to me the other day!
it's cool man, I got a laugh out of it.

Thank you everyone for the support, kind words, and sticking up for me too.

Didn't realize this thread would turn so contentious.

The story has a happy ending though, and hopefully I will post pictures of it soon :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:33 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:03 am
Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 am
I do really enjoy seafood though.
I too love seafood...but certainly won't say what restaurants I enjoy eating it at :rolleyes:
Hahaa :D

Calamari, Octopus, Shrimp, Crab, Lobster, Scallops, Clams, beer battered fish n chips, a good fish taco. All good. Not much for other fish though, can't abide salmon, don't eat sushi (except for the crab and shrimp variety). Fished with my Grandfather when he was alive, we'd eat the Largemouth Bass we caught. Haven't done much fishing since he passed.
All good choices. I tend to go for the fish that minimize hype and maximize taste. They're always the cheapest. Next time at a seafood market look into Trigger fish, Monk fish, and Sheepshead. The first 2 just look ugly and turn people off. Sheepshead is somehow been deemed a junk fish by many. It is beautiful white meat with an excellent flavor. Those 3 are world class and very affordable. I also really like Cobia, Spanish mackerel, and trout/bluefish but they must be very fresh. Offshore fish, Wahoo is my favorite. Mahi and Tuna are always winners as well, and Swordfish is absolutely decadent but must be very fresh. If I'm landlocked and must by frozen stuff from a store, I get whiting. Best tasting AND cheapest. Just nothing farm raised (Tilapia... Yuck!).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Happy ending as promised :D

If I ever learn more about what happened I'll share. Otherwise, thanks again all for the support.

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice looking knives right there. Enjoy :) I love my waved df2
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:09 pm

If I ever learn more about what happened I'll share. Otherwise, thanks again all for the support.
After all that we don’t get a first impressions review?
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Congrats.. nice to see they had the DF in stock after all.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For many different reasons than what Brother "ZROW" decided to no longer use the USPS to ship his packages I've also decided that they are not a good option as well. About 10 to 12 years ago when I was much more active in the knife market than I am now for different reasons I used them a lot>> sometimes over a dozen times within a week. But I've seen some pretty dismal changes in the USPS over the past 4 to 5 years especially.

Here in the locale I live at it seems like virtually every Postal employee I've tried to deal with truly have their degree in "arrogance & rudeness". I do still use them to buy Money Orders to pay some bills with but that's another story all together. The Post Office is not what they used to be at all. The level of apathy and downright stupidity that I find almost all Post Offices have anymore is just outright sickening.

I have a "UPS Store" very close and handy to me and I'm always treated very well. Also the 2 times I've had insured packages get lost in the UPS system I got my insurance money for the packages in as early as 2 to 3 days. The last time I lost an insured package at the Post Office it was close to 3 months before I ever got my insurance coverage paid to me>> and was contacting them about 3 times a week until I finally got reimbursed. I don't know what all has changed in the US Postal system but it's to the point to where I truly hate to walk into those places anymore. It is sickening to see a once well run and well respected institution truly go down the toilet>> but the present day United States Post Office is a loser in my opinion :(
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

^ JD I'd pick UPS for ease of getting ahold of their customer service.

And yes reviews will be forthcoming for a number of things, custom sharpmaker bases, the Chief, waved Dfly, and Urban..... just not in this thread :D

Ready to close the book on this one (unless the mystery ever gets solved, in which case I will share).

*I forgot to respond to Giftedmisfit, I had to order the Dfly from Knifecenter.