a painful lesson relearned *update*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: a painful lesson relearned *update*

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:44 pm
Hey I work in IT. I'm not an influencer, I am not paid or compensated for my opinions, I have no sponsors, I recieve no free products to review.

I am a cutlery enthusiast. Those of you who have been around the forum for more than a few months know me and know I'm not selling anything.

If I'm saying good things or bad things about a product or company, it's my unvarnished opinion period. BladeHQ did me a solid. They turned crap situation into a positive one and they deserved the praise. That knife company who recalled their M390 knives, did the right thing by their customers and deserved praise. Michael Janich has great self defense courses that I have studied and I highly recommend BECAUSE I LIKE THEM. I also happen to think Spyderco Salt Knives are the best thing since the knives that brought us sliced bread.

I'm a little offended at the notion that anyone thinks that I or anyone else on the forum is a nefarious promoter of some kind. If you have a problem with people sharing their likes or dislikes of cutlery businesses, or products, may I humbly suggest you're on the wrong forum. We are here to give our opinions and talk knives.

If a thread begins to "smell like fish" to you, please for everyones health and safety, stop reading it immediately and move to a fresh thread that does not offend your nostrils or delicate sensibilities.
Be be as offended as you like, thin skin is not a particularly useful trait.

The way this post is worded making a particular vendor out to be heroic at the cost of the USPS is suspect. IE: Smells fishy. I did not call you a liar or a plant, this is giving the benefit of the doubt.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Ok, I have a confession. I’m an old school influencer, typically called an “enabler”.
I admit it, I like spyderco products and think you should too.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:02 pm

The way this post is worded making a particular vendor out to be heroic at the cost of the USPS is suspect. IE: Smells fishy. I did not call you a liar or a plant, this is giving the benefit of the doubt.

I'd tread lightly as your recent posts are approaching troll level :rolleyes:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Hey I work in IT. I'm not an influencer, I am not paid or compensated for my opinions, I have no sponsors, I recieve no free products to review.

I am a cutlery enthusiast. Those of you who have been around the forum for more than a few months know me and know I'm not selling anything.

If I'm saying good things or bad things about a product or company, it's my unvarnished opinion period. BladeHQ did me a solid. They turned crap situation into a positive one and they deserved the praise. That knife company who recalled their M390 knives, did the right thing by their customers and deserved praise. Michael Janich has great self defense courses that I have studied and I highly recommend BECAUSE I LIKE THEM. I also happen to think Spyderco Salt Knives are the best thing since the knives that brought us sliced bread.

I'm a little offended at the notion that anyone thinks that I or anyone else on the forum is a nefarious promoter of some kind. If you have a problem with people sharing their likes or dislikes of cutlery businesses, or products, may I humbly suggest you're on the wrong forum. We are here to give our opinions and talk knives.

If a thread begins to "smell like fish" to you, please for everyones health and safety, stop reading it immediately and move to a fresh thread that does not offend your nostrils or delicate sensibilities.

So you're not calling me out, merely saying that the way I worded my post is suspect. Ok... :rolleyes:

When you're smelling things that aren't really there, your delicate sense of smell isn't a particularly useful trait either. Particularly when it starts to offend other people.

If you smell fish, kindly get some fresh air in another thread.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:19 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

So you're not calling me out, merely saying that the way I worded my post is suspect. Ok... :rolleyes:

When you're smelling things that aren't really there, your delicate sense of smell isn't a particularly useful trait either. Particularly when it starts to offend other people.

If you smell fish, kindly get some fresh air in another thread.
:D
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

Yeah, I think it rather stretches the imagination to think that you just pulled that story about coffee filters, empty boxes etc out of whole cloth. And even if one were inclined to think one might do something like that to earn favors from a retailer, I can assure anyone reading this thread that the carriers DO make egregious "mistakes" and nice folks DO help themselves to the packages on others' doorsteps. So I wouldn't worry about sensitive-nosed skeptics lol, and I'm glad you're gonna get straightened out by BHQ. :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
blues

Post by blues »

FWIW, and it's conjecture only, but as a retired "fed" I'm less inclined to believe that a postal employee is responsible than that someone, a neighbor, a drive by wacko, "somebody" decided that it was your turn in the barrel.

I say this not out of any allegiance to (quasi) governmental agencies but from the perspective that USPS employees generally make a good living and have a lot to lose financially, (including pension), if they lose their job, or via the judicial system if the Postal Inspectors were to obtain sufficient evidence to have the U.S. Attorney's office accept the case for prosecution. (Which in the current circumstances alone would be below the threshold for prosecution absent evidence of other cases the subject was involved in.)

Were it me, I'd make a report to the USPS, regardless of the goodwill that BHQ has provided in the current circumstances...and I'd also get an inexpensive camera trained on that area of your porch to review any nefarious comings and goings.

Knowledge is power and I hope you get to the bottom of this.
- Retired from the chase -
PStone

Post by PStone »

Glad to hear BHQ took care of you! I once swore I wouldn’t buy from them again after a debacle concerning shipping. They ended up redeeming themselves with good customer service(Eric), and have since sold me at least 5 knifes.

My theory is that a walking porch pirate snatched a box. Opened it while walking. It contained coffee filters. Then saw your package. Swapped out your box for the filters. Opened your package while walking. Pocketed the knifes. Saw another package on another porch. Ditched your box on that porch for that neighbors package. Neighbor gets home. Finds your empty box where theirs should be. Went to your house to investigate. You weren’t home. Left your box so you knew you were ripped off.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

blues wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:59 pm
FWIW, and it's conjecture only, but as a retired "fed" I'm less inclined to believe that a postal employee is responsible than that someone, a neighbor, a drive by wacko, "somebody" decided that it was your turn in the barrel.

You may be right. The detail that has me really confused, is the return of the empty box. Leaving coffee filters was strange, but I could reason that to, ok you're a package theif, the last box you stole had coffee filters which are of no value to you, so why not leave them at your next package grab.

But as criminal behavior goes, it seems bold and odd to return to the scene of the crime the next day and drop off the empty box and risk being seen or caught with evidence. Even if it's a neighbor who was wrongly delivered my package but decided to keep my knives, why return the empty box and possibly be seen doing so? It makes no sense to me.

It crosses into as you said someone messing with me. Which also doesn't make sense from a standpoint of, ok you're a neighbor who wants to mess with me (I get along with my neighbors though so not likely) so you commit a crime? I could see messing with my trash cans, maybe some TP or dog poo in a bag, but mail theft?

I've looked at this from every angle I can think of. I have no clue what happened here. Nothing adds up. Maybe a bored teenager more interested in mischief than crime, looking for a thrill without thinking to hard about consequences of getting caught? It's just random and bizarre. And yes a security camera is coming soon. And I am talking to USPS about it, waiting to hear back from them.
DirtMcGirt wrote: Glad to hear BHQ took care of you! I once swore I wouldn’t buy from them again after a debacle concerning shipping. They ended up redeeming themselves with good customer service(Eric), and have since sold me at least 5 knifes.

My theory is that a walking porch pirate snatched a box. Opened it while walking. It contained coffee filters. Then saw your package. Swapped out your box for the filters. Opened your package while walking. Pocketed the knifes. Saw another package on another porch. Ditched your box on that porch for that neighbors package. Neighbor gets home. Finds your empty box where theirs should be. Went to your house to investigate. You weren’t home. Left your box so you knew you were ripped off.
That's actually a decent theory.
I've asked around the with the neighbors though, none of them have had any packages taken or gotten any by mistake. Could have been someone from the next neighborhood over I suppose.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

Cool. So, USPS back in rotation as an option for shipping? ;)

Honestly, for how much stuff is purchased on-line in our household, I am surprised I don't have to deal with more things missing - 2 in the last 10 years? When you consider how much stuff gets shipped in general, it is amazing how efficient the system is - pick your shipper.
Peter
Doeswhateveraspidercan

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:15 pm

I'd tread lightly as your recent posts are approaching troll level :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: I read you and since you have brought this up will reply by saying that I have observed allot of clannish behavior here, allot of chinning in and going along to get along and be popular and quite frankly that is not for me. You are correct and I am done participating before Sal is forced to make a decision.

So if people want to be snarky and cover it with polite words like the OP good for you, but that is too politically correct and an ill fit for yers truly to participate in.

To be clear I have never observed this from you Steel City and appreciate the warning.

Returning to lurking and learning from the members who truly have something to contribute beyond things like this thread.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I dont understand what your so butt hurt about?? You should be happy that a fellow enthusiast, solid contributor thats always helpful and respectful here on the forum, had his problem resolved.

What's the issue with being satisfied that BladeHQ came through for him with great customer service??

Do you work for USPS or something? I honestly don't see your issue. It's not like he bought a non Spyderco knife and is promoting it...we know that gets you gassed up, but this, this is kind of ridiculous.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:15 pm

So if people want to be snarky and cover it with polite words like the OP good for you, but that is too politically correct and an ill fit for yers truly to participate in.
My bad, I apologize for trying to drop a subtle hint. I prefer to keep things civil on the forum as we have users of all ages and dispositions. As far as your threat to going back to being lurker.....

No....please....don't :rolleyes: (no charge for the free snark)

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I do work for USPS. It could be the carrier or neighbor but I know I've misdelivered packages before. Not on purpose but I'm human. And I've gone back later and switched them. You should ask USPS to check their data and see where it was actually delivered from the GPS logs. I would guess the knife is there. We're the coffee filters addressed to you?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
PStone

Post by PStone »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:43 pm
That's actually a decent theory.
I've asked around the with the neighbors though, none of them have had any packages taken or gotten any by mistake. Could have been someone from the next neighborhood over I suppose.
Yeah. These guys are criminals and make a living doing this. They hit different neighborhoods in large sections at a time. Most of the time it is multiple people canvassing an area. Who knows where they’re from. Maybe even the next town over. Been going on here heavy for the last couple months. They do the same to cars at night. Entire neighborhoods are hit at a time. People post security footage here of the packages and cars being hit on a local Facebook news page daily. They most likely were wearing a backpack for all their days booty. The filters were left to make room for your box. Then your box was left at at a later porch to make room for that box. I know you talked to PD already, but maybe call them back and ask if any others reported any more missing mail. Although most of us only call the carrier and never report it. Myself included. But our PD is strongly encourage everyone to report any thefts at all. Even if they can’t do anything for you, you can help them and the rest of the neighborhoods by filing a report. So if others call, there are reports on file and they can possibly trend and predict the thefts.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:51 pm
I do work for USPS. It could be the carrier or neighbor but I know I've misdelivered packages before. Not on purpose but I'm human. And I've gone back later and switched them. You should ask USPS to check their data and see where it was actually delivered from the GPS logs. I would guess the knife is there. We're the coffee filters addressed to you?
I posted a pic of the coffee filters on the previous page. No label.

Sorry to be disparaging your company so much. The situation was frustrating for me.

The only thing that makes me suspect the carrier is that this is the second package from BHQ to go missing. The last one turned up after I called customer sercice and filed a claim, the package showed up the next day. It was tossed at my door (I heard it hit the ground hard), and I when I went outside I saw the carrier practically running away. I've had 2 USPS packages sent to me in the last few weeks by a fellow forum member here, and those packages arrived without incident. This is 2 for 2 packages from BHQ going missing with usps. Strange that only my knife orders go missing. The addresses are correct on the packages I got last week, and on the empty box. When I order bhq through ups no problems. UPS delivers things here from Amazon weekly, no issues. I order a knife through usps it goes missing. Could be an unfortunate coincidence. It's why I went for the free shipping this time, I figured, the budgets tight and what are the odds that they'd lose another package? Pretty high apparently. And the no doorbell ringing or knocking annoys me. I was home. If they did deliver the package and someone else took it, it could have been avoided by a simple push of a button. It was only 30 minutes from when they say it was delivered and when I checked.

I could also see the carrier bringing back the empty package so they could claim they delivered it. I dont know its very strange. Dirt had the best theory so far. The words out in the neighborhood, hopefully if someone did get my box and brought it to my house they'll here about it through the neighborhood watch and tell me. I can't imagine they would have though. I knew the box was empty as soon as I picked it up. I imagine most people would have as well, but who knows.

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:52 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:51 pm
I posted a pic of the coffee filters on the previous page. No label.

Sorry to be disparaging your company so much. The situation was frustrating for me.

The only thing that makes me suspect the carrier is that this is the second package from BHQ to go missing. The last one turned up after I called customer sercice and filed a claim, the package showed up the next day. It was tossed at my door (I heard it hit the ground hard), and I when I went outside I saw the carrier practically running away. I've had 2 USPS packages sent to me in the last few weeks by a fellow forum member here, and those packages arrived without incident. This is 2 for 2 packages from BHQ going missing with usps. Strange that only my knife orders go missing. The addresses are correct on the packages I got last week, and on the empty box. When I order bhq through ups no problems. UPS delivers things here from Amazon weekly, no issues. I order a knife through usps it goes missing. Could be an unfortunate coincidence. It's why I went for the free shipping this time, I figured, the budgets tight and what are the odds that they'd lose another package? Pretty high apparently. And the no doorbell ringing or knocking annoys me. I was home. If they did deliver the package and someone else took it, it could have been avoided by a simple push of a button. It was only 30 minutes from when they say it was delivered and when I checked.

I could also see the carrier bringing back the empty package so they could claim they delivered it. I dont know its very strange. Dirt had the best theory so far. The words out in the neighborhood, hopefully if someone did get my box and brought it to my house they'll here about it through the neighborhood watch and tell me. I can't imagine they would have though. I knew the box was empty as soon as I picked it up. I imagine most people would have as well, but who knows.
You can rip on the company all you want haha When you're a good guy it's hard to think like a bad guy. Honestly I never ring the doorbell for a package. Would be interesting still to see if it was ever scanned somewhere else. You should get a bin like for garden hoses and ask deliveries be put there or something at least then you could likely rule out a neighbor. That and the camera seem like good ideas. I hope you resolve it just trying to give my perspective. Hope it all gets resolved. I do hate the way bhq packs their knives thought but we don't have to get into that here. :)
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

In the ~15 months I've been on this forum (including some back-reading of old threads), I've virtually never seen anyone try to promote any company other than Spyderco. And I certainly didn't think this thread got out of hand in that regard.

I do really enjoy seafood though.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 am
In the ~15 months I've been on this forum (including some back-reading of old threads), I've virtually never seen anyone try to promote any company other than Spyderco. And I certainly didn't think this thread got out of hand in that regard.

I remember a while back a certain someone that's no longer around got into with a couple members in the "what other is in your pocket thread"...which I found pretty amusing, since it was a thread created for non Spyderco knives hahah.

I too love seafood...but certainly won't say what restaurants I enjoy eating it at :rolleyes:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:03 am
Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 am

I remember a while back a certain someone that's no longer around got into with a couple members in the "what other is in your pocket thread"...which I found pretty amusing, since it was a thread created for non Spyderco knives hahah.

I too love seafood...but certainly won't say what restaurants I enjoy eating it at :rolleyes:
I grew up in a commercial fishing family. No restaurants. Just the daily catch. :D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?