a painful lesson relearned *update*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blues

Re: a painful lesson relearned *update*

Post by blues »

BHQ's service is to be lauded...and...rewarded. I will bear this in mind next time it comes time to place an order.
- Retired from the chase -
JonLeBlanc

Re: a painful lesson relearned

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:47 pm
I’ve had more trouble with UPS (pronounced oops) and fedex than usps. At work, fedex delivered 360’ of 5” threaded steel casing. About $300/10’ stick. 5 of the pieces had been abused by spearing the ends with a forklift and dragged so much the threaded ends were worn through the threads. We filed a claim and got more coming, but that delayed us and was an expensive move for fedex. They never came to claim their ruined casing either.

I recently had a Midway order arrive with the tape obviously cut and missing a box of personal defense ammo. The delivery guy very carefully folded the box up and set it on the pile upside down. I was home and watched him deliver, so I know it wasn’t someone else. :mad: I made sure Oops knew it was ammo and that they had a thief in their local delivery pool.
The brown one is THE ABSOLUTE worst, no care, no accountability. Once, ONCE one of their drivers finishing his early morning run offered to personally bring me a package that arrived at the station too late to go out with the regular day's batch (which itself was, of course, UPS's fault) on his way home, and I thought that was way above and beyond and I thanked him profusely, but I put that down to the work ethic and kind heart of an individual. The organization as a whole...ridiculously blasé.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:24 pm
As many of you may remember I have told any who will listen to not ship through USPS. Even if it's free it's not worth it I said. Packages marked as delivered and not delivered I said....

So I recently bought a Chief (I paid to send it UPS) arrived with out incident. Then I ordered a Urban LW and Waved Dfly..... and I made a terrible mistake.

My budget was pretty thin so I decided to go with the free shipping from bhq through the USPS. I should have know better, it's really my fault at this point.

In an effort to save $17 I shipped through the USPS. I got my package delivered notification yesterday at around 10am I was home, heard no knock, no bell, open my front door to get my package of knives and find.... a package of coffee filters.

Had to fill out a missing package claim on their website, still waiting to hear back from them. The package didn't show up today.

BladeHQ being the class act that they are will take care of me if it doesn't show up in 7 days, they even set aside an urban for me just in case.

Buy yea, lesson relearned NEVER ship USPS. I'd have gladly paid $17 to not have to deal with this hassle. :mad:

*Update*

I talked to BladeHQ this morning. And their customer service is amazing. They didn't make this my problem they made it their problem. They said they will deal with USPS, send me a replacement for my Urban, refund my Dragonfly (which they have sold out of! Dang that things popular), and the icing on the cake, they won't charge me for reshipping UPS :D

Well done BHQ well done.
I have shipped and received probably close to 50 knives YTD, through USPS. Most have been packaged small flat rate, some medium flat rate. Some have insured values of over 1000 USD. I would estimate the value shipped and received through USPS to upwards of 15K USD. I've yet to have a single hiccup with USPS. They've been incredibly reliable and cost effective for me.

Granted, I ship everything with signature confirmation, and depending on price, full insurance. I also receive everything to my work, so there's always someone to sign for packages, and they don't get left on the "porch".

I'm sorry to say, I can't echo your feelings around this. I'm no promoter of the USPS, but they've been good to me, so far.
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:03 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:47 pm
I’ve had more trouble with UPS (pronounced oops) and fedex than usps. At work, fedex delivered 360’ of 5” threaded steel casing. About $300/10’ stick. 5 of the pieces had been abused by spearing the ends with a forklift and dragged so much the threaded ends were worn through the threads. We filed a claim and got more coming, but that delayed us and was an expensive move for fedex. They never came to claim their ruined casing either.

I recently had a Midway order arrive with the tape obviously cut and missing a box of personal defense ammo. The delivery guy very carefully folded the box up and set it on the pile upside down. I was home and watched him deliver, so I know it wasn’t someone else. :mad: I made sure Oops knew it was ammo and that they had a thief in their local delivery pool.
The brown one is THE ABSOLUTE worst, no care, no accountability. Once, ONCE one of their drivers finishing his early morning run offered to personally bring me a package that arrived at the station too late to go out with the regular day's batch (which itself was, of course, UPS's fault) on his way home, and I thought that was way above and beyond and I thanked him profusely, but I put that down to the work ethic and kind heart of an individual. The organization as a whole...ridiculously blasé.
Agreed. I don't use UPS unless I am absolutely forced to.

USPS & FedEx are my go-to's.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:

The brown one is THE ABSOLUTE worst, no care, no accountability.

I don't know...have you ever had Amazon packages delivered by LaserShip?? Holy crap. They were awful. I'll take USPS and FexEx over UPS in my area for sure, but LaserShip is next level awful. They delivered so many of my Amazon packages different houses on my street and across the street it was lunacy. Or they just chucked them up my sidewalk instead of walking up and setting them gently. It was one of the best days of my life when Amazon canned them and went with their own reliable delivery service. No issues these days.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:10 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:

The brown one is THE ABSOLUTE worst, no care, no accountability.

I don't know...have you ever had Amazon packages delivered by LaserShip?? Holy crap. They were awful. I'll take USPS and FexEx over UPS in my area for sure, but LaserShip is next level awful. They delivered so many of my Amazon packages different houses on my street and across the street it was lunacy. Or they just chucked them up my sidewalk instead of walking up and setting them gently. It was one of the best days of my life when Amazon canned them and went with their own reliable delivery service. No issues these days.
Wow, I'd never even heard of lasership lol. But I imagine everybody has horror stories about one shipper or another. But yeah they sound pretty bad.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Matt, have you reported this to the police?
I don’t usually invite the po po into my life but we have occasional nextdoor stories about mail theft and our police actually do catch them and stop this action. Not sure what resources the police in your area have. Maybe they actually asks a few questions at the post office and sort someone out.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Forget the police, report it to the postal inspectors. They live for this stuff.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One more reason BHQ gets 90% of my knife money.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:18 pm
The private sector almost always puts the government to shame.
Broad generalizations are never always correct.
In my area usps is great. Never had a problem. But if anything (usually Amazon deliveries) get bounced to On-Track (a private and cheap delivery service here) it turns into a circus. They can’t find buildings. Leave packages on doorsteps half way across town. I’ve even delivered packages to other addresses that got dropped here.
There's a reason I said almost. Anecdotal evidence only says so much, but at least I've used both USPS and UPS/FedEx in over 30 different places and can say I've had MANY more mishaps with USPS than the others.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yeah BHQ really saved the day here. I was already a regular customer, but this certainly reinforces my desire to do business with them. Jade M4 Dodos don't hurt either :D

As far as the police... not much they can do. I talked to USPS this afternoon. They are going to talk to the carrier. I'll see where it goes from there.

Going forward I'm going to have my packages held or delivered elsewhere. And I will be getting a security camera.

As far as UPS vs. Others. I'm sure it depends where you live. UPS for me has been reliable, on time, their carriers ring the bell when they drop off a package, and their customer service easy to get ahold of. It is a nightmare getting ahold of the USPS, and their carriers (in my neighborhood) not very courteous or competent. Which is not to say they aren't awesome in other places.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

BHQ is OK I have found better vendors and faster... allot faster. Sniffing and this thread stinks of fish. Nuff said.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

They may have found themselves a new customer in me after reading this.
I'm so glad things are finally starting to go your way!
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Glad to hear BHQ took care of you they are awesome.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Heaps of Canned Mackerel.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Someone in this thread is definitely starting to smell :rolleyes:

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

USPS is actually pretty good normally in my area.

Have had UPS deliver to the wrong house more than a few times, same with FEDEX.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 pm
BHQ is OK I have found better vendors and faster... allot faster. Sniffing and this thread stinks of fish. Nuff said.
How do you mean?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Never a problem in my area with USPS -- and it has been a very long time since I once had a problem with UPS. I am sure they both screw up now and then, and no doubt some areas are better or worse than others. A particular carrier could be the root of the problem. Or your neighborhood.
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:35 am
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 pm
How do you mean?
Guerrilla influencers / promoters. I think that's what s/he is referring to.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hey I work in IT. I'm not an influencer, I am not paid or compensated for my opinions, I have no sponsors, I recieve no free products to review.

I am a cutlery enthusiast. Those of you who have been around the forum for more than a few months know me and know I'm not selling anything.

If I'm saying good things or bad things about a product or company, it's my unvarnished opinion period. BladeHQ did me a solid. They turned crap situation into a positive one and they deserved the praise. That knife company who recalled their M390 knives, did the right thing by their customers and deserved praise. Michael Janich has great self defense courses that I have studied and I highly recommend BECAUSE I LIKE THEM. I also happen to think Spyderco Salt Knives are the best thing since the knives that brought us sliced bread.

I'm a little offended at the notion that anyone thinks that I or anyone else on the forum is a nefarious promoter of some kind. If you have a problem with people sharing their likes or dislikes of cutlery businesses, or products, may I humbly suggest you're on the wrong forum. We are here to give our opinions and talk knives.

If a thread begins to "smell like fish" to you, please for everyones health and safety, stop reading it immediately and move to a fresh thread that does not offend your nostrils or delicate sensibilities.