Dragonfly Wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lifereinspired

Dragonfly Wharncliffe

Post by lifereinspired »

Hello,

I became enamored with Spyderco when I first felt the incredibly smooth action at a local outdoor store. I was instantly hooked and came home raving about them to my spouse. When we traveled to Colorado last year, we went to the factory store on Golden. Their knives are completely unique and gorgeous.

I got a Manbug for my birthday and last year a Byrd Robin, yet, I’ve found myself still really wanting that Dragonfly. I was intrigued to read about the new Wharncliffe model being released this year, almost anytime now. I don’t know a ton about Wharncliffes but have read that they can be extremely useful for everyday tasks and that makes a lot of sense to me. So, I have a couple of questions about this knife.

1) Is this a “sprint run” or similarly limited time/edition run? If I do decide to go with the Wharncliffe, I don’t want to wait only to find out there will never be more made. Or, rather, is it becoming a regular part of the lineup from now on (or for the foreseeable future, anyway)? I noticed some places have it and some are out of stock and I don’t know if that’s because they are already sold out for good or if they’ve yet to be received or if they are just waiting on the next shipment.

2) I don’t have a place near me to try out the Wharncliffe vs the standard leaf blade. I can totally see that for things like mail and packages, cardboard, the Wharncliffe would be just perfect and better than the standard blade. But how about as a “food knife”? Say, eating a steak or doing a little light outdoor food prep (nothing crazy, just a little slicing meat or veggie, perhaps for kebabs, etc). I would think for cord and rope, the Wharncliffe would also be excellent. What are your thoughts? I definitely want this to be a knife that I could easily use for eating a meal, too. Is the tip of one of the styles stronger than the other? I’m careful with my knives and don’t pry with the tip or anything but sometimes, in small spaces, one has to use the tip and I’m wondering which one would be stronger and more useful for those small-space use case needs.

3) This one is, perhaps, a little delicate. I found out a few years ago that I have a rare genetic condition that causes a lot of health issues (many serious). That, plus my small female frame, means I’m not very physically strong. I honestly cannot imagine having to use a knife of any sort as physical protection but if we’re talking about that proverbial “nightmare situation”, I read recently something that was interesting. The article or review said that there was evidence that a Wharncliffe of the same blade size was “better” or more effective for protection than other styles and the writer specifically mentioned that this Spyderco forum has a lot of that information. I did do a search on the forum a few different ways but there are so many mentions of Wharncliffe blades from so many forum fans of that blade style that it made it really difficult to actually pinpoint any of that information. I don’t know of other search words I could combine to try to locate that data. I wondered if anyone could share their thoughts on this or even just link to where might find that data. I’d be interested to read it (and I’m not trying to ask anyone to rewrite it all here if it’s viewable elsewhere). Probably isn’t a real reason to buy one model over the other but I’m interested to hear what you think and to learn more.

4) Lastly, are the ergonomics of the Wharncliffe and standard DFs (the feel in hand, circular opening point, handle, etc) all exactly the same? I can’t try them both side by side so just wondered. The regular DF is easy for me to open and hold and I just want to be sure that the Wharncliffe would match.I couldn’t imagine that it would be a large variation but read that there has to be a little difference just because of how the tip of the Wharncliffe has to fit into the handle.

Thank you so much in advance for anything you’re able to share. I’m really looking forward to learning more from those in this amazing community. So much knowledge...I’m just amazed and so grateful for the willingness to share that with others. :)

PS Can I ask why the FRN Byrd Robin is so much heavier (comparatively) than the DF 2? An ounce heavier, nearly 50%. Obviously, the G-10 version has heavier scale material but I would have thought that the FRN is basically the same. Obviously the steels are different but I wouldn’t have thought that the steel material itself would make a difference. Just curious. Thanks again!
Michael Janich

Re: Dragonfly Wharncliffe

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Lifeinspired:

Thank you very much for your post.

To answer your questions:

1) The Dragonfly Wharncliffe is a regular-production knife, not a Sprint Run, so it should be readily available for the foreseeable future.

2) A Wharncliffe works well as a food knife--especially when cutting on a cutting board or plate. I like to ride the tip on the cutting surface, which creates a shearing angle with the rest of the edge through the food and keeps the edge from dulling on the cutting surface.

3) The shape of a Wharncliffe allows it to cut with full power all the way to the tip. This provides maximum cutting power and leverage in a small blade. This article explains this concept in greater detail: https://blademag.com/knife-collecting/o ... ical-knife.

4) The ergos and opening arc of the Wharncliffe Dragonfly 2 are identical to other versions of the same model. I have a production sample sitting on my desk and just compared it to several other Dragonfly 2s. The Round Hole location is exactly the same, to the leverage and opening arc are also the same.

The Robin is significantly heavier than the Dragonfly 2 because it has stainless steel liners and a 4-position stamped clip. The Dragonfly 2 is linerless and has a wire clip.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
carrot

Post by carrot »

The biggest wharncliffe expert has just jumped in so I feel silly now posting this but I’ve already written it so here goes.

1. Most Spydercos are introduced with the idea that if they are successful and good sellers, they will keep being made. The Delica in wharncliffe appears to have been so well received that the Endura and Dragonfly soon followed. I’m certain there will be plenty of Dragonfly Wharncliffe to follow.

2. Wharncliffe blades suffer a little on the cutting board because of two things: high tip “aggression”, which causes the blade to dig extra hard into the board, and the lack of curvature, which means they don’t do rocking cuts effectively. In such a small blade you’d be forced to do draw cuts, which wharncliffe do very effectively. On a ceramic plate, which are notorious for dulling pocket knives, there is less to dull, just the very point of the tip.

3. It is hard to say of course because of so many factors, but a wharncliffe has more cutting aggression towards the tip because a slicing action gets concentrated there. On a regular leaf blade some materials may slip off the rounded belly of the blade where the tip on a wharncliffe is more apt to catch the same materials. The same action is why a hawkbill is so prized for separating tough fibrous materials.

4. Yes, if the D4 and E4 designs are anything to go by, they should feel the same to open and close.

5. I don’t own a FRN Robin (I am a crazy huge fan of the Byrds, but I like the feel of the stainless ones best) but I think that there are steel liners underneath. The Dragonfly is made for ultimate light weight and so lacks steel liners. I have a few Dragonflies. They are great knives and I love the “derringer” feel of the handle.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

lifereinspired wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:28 pm
Let me start by saying that my wife is very tiny and she has a genetic condition that makes it hard to do some things. She saw my FRN Dragonfly one day, and she took it for herself. HaHaHa! It is perfect for her tiny hands and non-existent pants pockets. Now she has an orange and a purple Dragonfly, each.

Hello,

I became enamored with Spyderco when I first felt the incredibly smooth action at a local outdoor store. I was instantly hooked and came home raving about them to my spouse. When we traveled to Colorado last year, we went to the factory store on Golden. Their knives are completely unique and gorgeous.

I got a Manbug for my birthday and last year a Byrd Robin, yet, I’ve found myself still really wanting that Dragonfly. I was intrigued to read about the new Wharncliffe model being released this year, almost anytime now. I don’t know a ton about Wharncliffes but have read that they can be extremely useful for everyday tasks and that makes a lot of sense to me. So, I have a couple of questions about this knife.

1) Is this a “sprint run” or similarly limited time/edition run? If I do decide to go with the Wharncliffe, I don’t want to wait only to find out there will never be more made. Or, rather, is it becoming a regular part of the lineup from now on (or for the foreseeable future, anyway)? I noticed some places have it and some are out of stock and I don’t know if that’s because they are already sold out for good or if they’ve yet to be received or if they are just waiting on the next shipment. As has been said, this is a regular production knife, so no hurry.

2) I don’t have a place near me to try out the Wharncliffe vs the standard leaf blade. I can totally see that for things like mail and packages, cardboard, the Wharncliffe would be just perfect and better than the standard blade. But how about as a “food knife”? Say, eating a steak or doing a little light outdoor food prep (nothing crazy, just a little slicing meat or veggie, perhaps for kebabs, etc). I would think for cord and rope, the Wharncliffe would also be excellent. What are your thoughts? I definitely want this to be a knife that I could easily use for eating a meal, too. Is the tip of one of the styles stronger than the other? I’m careful with my knives and don’t pry with the tip or anything but sometimes, in small spaces, one has to use the tip and I’m wondering which one would be stronger and more useful for those small-space use case needs. The wharncliffe excels at rope, opening packages, and etc. I think food prep goes to the regular leaf blade. It is better, for me, all around than the wharncliffe, but I could be very happy with only the wharncliffe.

3) This one is, perhaps, a little delicate. I found out a few years ago that I have a rare genetic condition that causes a lot of health issues (many serious). That, plus my small female frame, means I’m not very physically strong. I honestly cannot imagine having to use a knife of any sort as physical protection but if we’re talking about that proverbial “nightmare situation”, I read recently something that was interesting. The article or review said that there was evidence that a Wharncliffe of the same blade size was “better” or more effective for protection than other styles and the writer specifically mentioned that this Spyderco forum has a lot of that information. I did do a search on the forum a few different ways but there are so many mentions of Wharncliffe blades from so many forum fans of that blade style that it made it really difficult to actually pinpoint any of that information. I don’t know of other search words I could combine to try to locate that data. I wondered if anyone could share their thoughts on this or even just link to where might find that data. I’d be interested to read it (and I’m not trying to ask anyone to rewrite it all here if it’s viewable elsewhere). Probably isn’t a real reason to buy one model over the other but I’m interested to hear what you think and to learn more.

Here is a video of a smaller wharncliffe (no longer made) by Cold Steel and you can see the cutting power: https://youtu.be/u5SHPjWRDDw

It really is better for defense, in my opinion.

4) Lastly, are the ergonomics of the Wharncliffe and standard DFs (the feel in hand, circular opening point, handle, etc) all exactly the same? I can’t try them both side by side so just wondered. The regular DF is easy for me to open and hold and I just want to be sure that the Wharncliffe would match.I couldn’t imagine that it would be a large variation but read that there has to be a little difference just because of how the tip of the Wharncliffe has to fit into the handle.

The ergos are the same and you should love it.

Thank you so much in advance for anything you’re able to share. I’m really looking forward to learning more from those in this amazing community. So much knowledge...I’m just amazed and so grateful for the willingness to share that with others. :)

PS Can I ask why the FRN Byrd Robin is so much heavier (comparatively) than the DF 2? An ounce heavier, nearly 50%. Obviously, the G-10 version has heavier scale material but I would have thought that the FRN is basically the same. Obviously the steels are different but I wouldn’t have thought that the steel material itself would make a difference. Just curious. Thanks again!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Also, welcome to the Forum. I hope you will stick around. We have a number of women, here.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum lifereinspired! :)

As others have said, the Wharncliffe blade shape should serve your needs well. And the Dragonfly is a superb lightweight design.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I love my WC Delica so I'm super excited to grab the Dfly version.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Got this little guy in today. An instant Spyderco classic!
Compared with a Lil Native and Victorinox Compact 91mm:
Wharnie df2 underneath lil native
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Thanks for the pics.. these will really help me decide..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

carrot wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 am
The biggest wharncliffe expert has just jumped in so I feel silly now posting this but I’ve already written it so here goes.

I feel like the only thing left I can add is "it cut guud".

I'm waiting for a Salt version in LC200N and SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Great pics SG! Very helpful.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

OK stop it! You guys are not helping my wallet a bit. And those pictures make it even worse. Ha ha Ha ha ha!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:04 pm
Got this little guy in today. An instant Spyderco classic!
Compared with a Lil Native and Victorinox Compact 91mm:
Wharnie df2 underneath lil native
Centering is off on the Native? Or optical illusion? Thanks for the pics of the DF.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sober_Survival wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:56 pm
Centering is off on the Native? Or optical illusion? Thanks for the pics of the DF.
Optical illusion
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

You can't go wrong with a Dragonfly!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I got mine last week, and I'm loving it. It's so light that I almost forget I have it on me, and it uses one of my favorite blade shapes.

I only have a tiny nitpick about mine, and it's the last third of the edge has a slight curve, like it was sharpened just a bit more near the tip. I'm sure that it will even out after enough sharpening. As it is, it has no effect on cutting or sharpening whatsoever.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I only wish the release a spyderedge variant ....THAT would be a must buy for me :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Of course the op is another one and gone.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

I'm really digging this one.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

DigDug72 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:18 am
I'm really digging this one.
Nice. Who made the scales?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050