What to do if someone tries to rob you with a knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: What to do if someone tries to rob you with a knife?

Post by Naperville »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:43 am
Naperville wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:48 pm

I might drop my wallet at his feet and as he bent over to pick it up, use my knife on his jugular.

HAHAH oh man, that was good for a laugh! Pretty sure that's murder in some states..
If you had CCW at the time, you could draw and shoot to kill. So if it's a 3 inch knife it's Homicide, 1st Degree Murder?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:36 pm
restless ghost wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 pm
Roundhouse kick, right to the face. :cool:
That's a crescent kick ;)
thanks. i’m aware. ;) this comment just reminded me of this scene from billy jack.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
jdw

Post by jdw »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:21 am
DSH007 wrote:
Naperville wrote:

I might drop my wallet at his feet and as he bent over to pick it up, use my knife on his jugular.

HAHAH oh man, that was good for a laugh! Pretty sure that's murder in some states..
If you had CCW at the time, you could draw and shoot to kill. So if it's a 3 inch knife it's Homicide, 1st Degree Murder?
It's not murder in my state. It's not particularly justified, IMO, but you would get away with it. The real question is if you are really willing to actually kill somebody over what's in your wallet?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

eRoc wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:59 am
I always run across these types of conversations and I'm always surprised that no one advises getting involved with your local PD. I started going to crime watch meetings with my wife last year. I got to meet my local police officers that patrol my area. They printed out arrest reports and heat maps for me with information on what's happening in my neighborhood, places to avoid, and trending crimes. I got to ask the police officers that patrol my streets questions instead of random internet people that live in different counties, states, and countries that have wildly different laws on self defense.

1. Get involved with your local PD. I was surprised at how cool they were and how much they wanted to help. It's sad how few people attend crime watch events for their communities. The DPD brought in pizza and cokes and I got to meet a ton of neighbors(which is helpful in itself).
2. Invest in good running shoes
Very smart. Bravo
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

What size knife is normally used in situation like this? Excuse my ignorance. I figure cheap stilettos or gas station knives with a 4 inch blade?

I'm just curious because obviously the situation depends on what kind of knife they have. A machete is very different from than a spyderco McBee.

There are some (admittedly rare) situations where if you're wearing solid boots and either can't run away or it somehow doesn't make sense to run, you can lay on your back and kick off any stab attempts until people arrive. I'm fully aware this sounds crazy but I have a friend who had a karate instructor that spoke of this as a formidable option in certain situations. Obviously it won't really work that well on someone with a huge knife hellbent on killing you, and I also obviously wouldn't do this alone on a dark street in the inner city, but just food for thought. It's really hard for someone to get to you when you're on your back with your feet up. Shuffle so you're always facing them, and not only can your kicks defend you, but potentially cause enough damage to end the situation.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

I forget where or by whom I'd seen this said, but the quote was "You don't win a knife fight, you only lose less."

A tip I'd read in one of Mas Ayoob's books (which are good for general theory, but outdated in a lot of ways) was to keep a small amount of cash in a rubber band or clip or whatever, separate from your wallet, and in a mugging just drop the cash and run.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

jdw wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 am
Naperville wrote:
DSH007 wrote:
Naperville wrote:

It's not murder in my state. It's not particularly justified, IMO, but you would get away with it. The real question is if you are really willing to actually kill somebody over what's in your wallet?
Well, I'm not striking him/her with the knife over my wallet, I'm doing it because they have me at knife point. I'm pretty ruthless when you're threatening my life.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Naperville wrote:
DSH007 wrote:
Naperville wrote:

No, not first degree murder.. but I wouldn't be surprised if some overzealous prosecutor in certain jurisdictions went out of their way to bring up manslaughter charges.. Not saying I agree with it, or even that I think the charges would hold up.. just that it wouldn't shock me..

One of the kids at the group home I mentioned in my post was charged with attempted murder for spraying cleaning chemicals on someone at his school.. the charges were tossed out before being adjudicated, but the fact that he was charged at all solidifies in my mind that sometimes laws, or the application of them, are simply not logical.

My post was intended to be humorous, rather than any sort of actual legal advice. Regardless.. I'd throw my wallet on the ground and then RUN..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:30 am
eRoc wrote:
I always run across these types of conversations and I'm always surprised that no one advises getting involved with your local PD. I started going to crime watch meetings with my wife last year. I got to meet my local police officers that patrol my area. They printed out arrest reports and heat maps for me with information on what's happening in my neighborhood, places to avoid, and trending crimes. I got to ask the police officers that patrol my streets questions instead of random internet people that live in different counties, states, and countries that have wildly different laws on self defense.

1. Get involved with your local PD. I was surprised at how cool they were and how much they wanted to help. It's sad how few people attend crime watch events for their communities. The DPD brought in pizza and cokes and I got to meet a ton of neighbors(which is helpful in itself).
Very smart. Bravo
It depends on where you live. Here in Chicago the city refused to hire cops and they are short several thousand, so they put the most of the CAPS Officers on the street. CAPS was a community police interface. Now meetings are held not by the police station, but by Ward Committeeman and asking about crime and how to thwart it is considered racism. YEP, racism.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:05 am
Pelagic wrote:
eRoc wrote:

Very smart. Bravo
It depends on where you live. Here in Chicago the city refused to hire cops and they are short several thousand, so they put the most of the CAPS Officers on the street. CAPS was a community police interface. Now meetings are held not by the police station, but by Ward Committeeman and asking about crime and how to thwart it is considered racism. YEP, racism.
You mean they're claiming the act of policing a certain area is considered racism? I'm just curious. Sounds like demographics and culture to me.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Naperville wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
eRoc wrote:

Very smart. Bravo
True. I can't speak on Chicago because I've never been. Here in Dallas, the DPD encourages concealed carry and self defense laws are in place to protect law abiding citizens. If you live in a state where they don't allow concealed carry, have strict knife laws, have revolving door justice systems, little police protection, little to no stand-your-ground laws, then you better have some good shoes and really fast track times because at that point it really doesn't matter which Spyderco knife you carry.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 am
Naperville wrote:
You mean they're claiming the act of policing a certain area is considered racism? I'm just curious. Sounds like demographics and culture to me.
YEP! The prior Chicago Mayor and Police Dept were harassed by the DOJ and Obama Administration. They have court orders against them because a Chicago police officer shot a black youth with a knife. I don't agree with either side, but that is where that is at.

My mom attended a ward meeting and she was in the community police group. They would drive around in unmarked citizens cars and call police if they saw anything suspicious.

Well, a white teen from Beverly was beaten unconscious AND until he was foaming at the mouth, buy a group of black youth who did not live in the neighborhood. Parents wanted to know why all of the police were in black neighborhoods(high crime rates) and not in the white neighborhoods(where the tax payers paid for them) and the black ward boss said that was racism.

Chicago is a lost cause. I moved 35 miles away in 2017.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:37 am
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 am
Naperville wrote:
YEP! The prior Chicago Mayor and Police Dept were harassed by the DOJ and Obama Administration. They have court orders against them because a Chicago police officer shot a black youth with a knife. I don't agree with either side, but that is where that is at.

My mom attended a ward meeting and she was in the community police group. They would drive around in unmarked citizens cars and call police if they saw anything suspicious.

Well, a white teen from Beverly was beaten unconscious AND until he was foaming at the mouth, buy a group of black youth who did not live in the neighborhood. Parents wanted to know why all of the police were in black neighborhoods(high crime rates) and not in the white neighborhoods(where the tax payers paid for them) and the black ward boss said that was racism.

Chicago is a lost cause. I moved 35 miles away in 2017.
Good move. Unfortunately a lot of division in this country was caused by Obama siding with BLM on every single police shooting aired by the mainstream media (which was always black victims). He took a very anti-police and anti-law enforcement stance by doing this whether he meant to or not. Every situation should be looked at individually, logically, and objectively. The truth is, the law is the most equalizing force in society. It's the reason both me and Mark Zuckerberg can't drive 75mph in a 55 zone. I am very pro-law enforcement, but it's sad that every mistake officers make is put on the news as if all police are like that. And of course, I have nothing against black people. Skin color doesn't determine anything. It's a negligible biological difference. I treat it like hair color honestly, I just don't care. But demographics and culture play a huge role in crime statistics and its a shame police catch a bad rap.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:57 pm
It makes me wonder, do any of the more self-defense oriented people have any suggestions as to what to do if that or something like it happens? .....
Presumably running away is safer but I don't run very fast afoot and to do that I'd have to turn my back to the assailant.
Being unarmed (i'm not gonna use the small spyderco I normally carry as a weapon unless I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, it is a TOOL) what is the best course of action if someone pulls a knife? I'm assuming most thugs might not be trained combatants, is there a way to knock it out of their hand? ........
Hi Lonerider. Like many have said, it's borderline foolish to not just give up your wallet and phone, they are replaceable and life and limb are not. Not to mention the legal ramifications of self defense. Give them your stuff and hope thats the end of it.

BUT.... As others alluded to, they may not be satisfied with just your possessions, for a number of reasons even if you comply they still may try to inflict bodily harm on or kill, you or a loved one.

That's what you prepare for, not to defend your wallet, but to defend life.

Running is a great option for runners or people without slower loved ones or small children. Not a great option for people less able to run.....

So what do you do when giving up your wallet doesn't placate an assailant and you can't run?
That is the real question.

Don't kid yourself, sometimes there's nothing you can do. It's common to be robbed by multiple people with guns. One or two approach you from the front, one or two come up behind you. Facing 2-4 armed men? I'd try praying at that point because you're at their mercy.

But in dealing with a lone attacker,
I think universally the best answer is to have a concealed carry permit and carry a gun. But OK, let's say you don't have that.

I carry a knife for this purpose because I can't carry a gun where I live. Pepper spray and tasers are an option, but can be ineffective. With proper training you can target limbs with a knife and physically disable an attacker (without killing them). A grim prospect cutting someone like that, but one I'm prepared for if my life or a loved ones life is in mortal danger.

But OK, let's say you're unarmed and facing a knife attack... what do you do?

You study Michael Janich's CBC (Counter Blade Concepts) course. Available on staysafemedia.com . It will teach you the empty handed skills you need to defend yourself from a knife attack. Then find a buddy and train. Even if you just learn the split X technique, you'll be better prepared to stop a knife attack empty handed than most. I highly recommend it.

From there you can study the CBC Advanced course which will teach you how to do everything you learned in the unarmed course with a knife. By building off the previous system rather than teaching a new one, it makes it easier to learn. Then you'll have one system you can use armed or unarmed.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

If someone threatened me with a knife, I'd bore them to death by explaining the ins and outs of edge geometry, how the steel they chose isn't the best choice for stabbing humans (along with an in-depth explanation on how carbides, chemistry, and heat treat affect those properties), and then use the finishing move of debating the place of sprint run/exclusive run flippers in the overall marketplace and how they drive up prices for everyone else. If that doesn't defeat their willpower, I'll use my secret weapon of arguing about users vs collectors and how each impacts the hobby.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

jabba359 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:35 pm
If someone threatened me with a knife, I'd bore them to death by explaining the ins and outs of edge geometry, how the steel they chose isn't the best choice for stabbing humans (along with an in-depth explanation on how carbides, chemistry, and heat treat affect those properties), and then use the finishing move of debating the place of sprint run/exclusive run flippers in the overall marketplace and how they drive up prices for everyone else. If that doesn't defeat their willpower, I'll use my secret weapon of arguing about users vs collectors and how each impacts the hobby.
🤣
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

jabba359 wrote:
LOL!
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

ZRowsn1s,

Fortunately my friend who runs the local bike shop used to do both tae kwon do and hapkido years ago. At one point he taught hapkido.
But while for my own peace of mind I would like to ask him about a handful of basic things, I fear it would be awkward. Have to figure out how to bring it up.
I have no smartphone and rarely carry more than $5, if a mugger accosts me I'm screwed lol.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

jabba359 wrote:
Gets my vote for winning the forum (and the internet for me) today!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

jabba359 wrote:
Legit post.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?