AEB-L Urban sprint issue.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Redman5006

Re: AEB-L Urban sprint issue.

Post by Redman5006 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 am
Redman5006 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:02 pm
Thanks for the positive input. I was getting the idea that none of the K390 Urbans were worth looking for.
FWIW, my K390 Urban is great. No issues whatsoever. I follow these forums daily and I'd never even heard there was some with issues until it was mentioned in this thread.
Thanks. To be honest, I’m starting to lean towards keeping my aeb-l and seeing how it goes. It seems the pivot issue with the Urbans in general comes from over tightening rather than typical disassembly.
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well since the trolls r whining about the ‘hytpothetical proud tip not being an issue’ , thereby keeping the discussion productive and making everyone’s comments and concerns null and a waste of time, thanks, but please let me just clarify...

When your Spyderco needs a tune up out of the box, it’s a huge issue, BECAUSE it’s a Spyderco.

Needing to tune up a brand new blade is garbage I expect from a Taylor Cutlery product, not Spyderco.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The pivot on my aebl was no problem. I only took this one apart to look at the differences.
The k390 was a different matter. Disassembly was necessary to correct the blade/backspcer contact issue without sharpening the edge away.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Just got mine today. I have to say, I was a bit worried about how the knife would feel in hand and when my hand bushes by the tip while in pocket. The tip looks worse in photos and in person. In practice, however, I have been running my finger (ever so carefully) along the butt of the knife to see if my finger would catch on the blade. So far, all is good. It is good to know that it is not a problem for me, and that I can always how the blade sits in the handle by knocking down the edge of the choil.
jdw

Post by jdw »

It's kind of funny but I have a lot of knives that I didn't know had 'issues' until I started reading this forum. I realize that different people see f and f tolerances differently. If something doesn't actually affect the performance of the knife or as long as I don't accidentally stab myself in the pocket it's not really a problem. FWIW, my Urban came in good shape. It's a relatively inexpensive slipjoint.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Redman5006 wrote:
Thanks for the positive input. I was getting the idea that none of the K390 Urbans were worth looking for.
FWIW, my K390 Urban is great. No issues whatsoever. I follow these forums daily and I'd never even heard there was some with issues until it was mentioned in this thread.
My memory is not as accurate as it once was, so I’m not trying to catch you out, but given that some members are dismissing problems just because they’ve had the luck of the draw, you might consider this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79977
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:31 am
...but given that some members are dismissing problems just because they’ve had the luck of the draw...
I hope I didn't give the impression that I am being dismissive or implying that those who are concerned are worrying over nothing. The tip is close enough to edge that if it isn't a problem now it will be in the near future. I was seriously considering returning the knife without even opening it. I've been bitten by knives with similar design problems. I was lucky the damage was minor, but this shouldn't be a problem at all. $65 or not, the Urban shouldn't have these issues. But I really wanted to try out AEB-L, so I kept the knife. And I am glad I did. I do need to modify the choil, but I didn't have to before I could use the knife.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:56 am
wrdwrght wrote:
...but given that some members are dismissing problems just because they’ve had the luck of the draw...
I hope I didn't give the impression that I am being dismissive or implying that those who are concerned are worrying over nothing. The tip is close enough to edge that if it isn't a problem now it will be in the near future. I was seriously considering returning the knife without even opening it. I've been bitten by knives with similar design problems. I was lucky the damage was minor, but this shouldn't be a problem at all. $65 or not, the Urban shouldn't have these issues. But I really wanted to try out AEB-L, so I kept the knife. And I am glad I did. I do need to modify the choil, but I didn't have to before I could use the knife.
Who am I to single anyone out?

Whatever, you clearly get it that no Spyderco should be substandard. Some Urbans have been found wanting, to the chagrin of some who have them, which ought to concern everyone.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Redman5006 wrote:
My memory is not as accurate as it once was, so I’m not trying to catch you out, but given that some members are dismissing problems just because they’ve had the luck of the draw, you might consider this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79977
Ok I guess I wasn't remembering correctly. Mine actually had a little pivot issue early on. I don't remember how I corrected it or if I even corrected at all. I just use it and don't worry about it and I've been very happy with it ever since. I freely admit that sometimes I let my OCD get the best of me. I've been trying to stop letting little things like this bother me and I've been much happier because of it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I wanted to do a quick follow up on my impressions of the AEB-L sprint and the issues. I was on the fence about this knife mostly because of the potential exposed tip after multiple sharpenings. With help from some of your positive and constructive input I am not only keeping the AEB-L but I have tracked down the k390 as well. The issues seem minor and there are fixes for them. The wealth of knowledge and experience in this forum is awesome and I appreciate those who knew of the issues sharing info. This platform is perfect for new steels and sprints and look forward to more in the future.
Attachments
0E7ED6D4-E054-4F56-874A-781746069F70.jpeg
Last edited by Redman5006 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

All this discussion of the "D hole" issue with flat FRN handle scales makes me wish for a G10 handled Urban... it started with G10 scales, but when it re-emerged from hibernation in Italy they were gone :(

The recent HH exclusive UKPK gives me hope that we'll see them again some day, though I'm beginning to lose faith that the Ti Urban Sprint will ever appear.

As a side note, my Cuscadi CF scales for the Urban have round holes for both the pivot and pillar screws, but the coarse G10 scales I got from Suingab/G10.lt for my Pingo have D shaped openings.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:48 am
Where's the thumb's up icon when I need one?
👍
-Turbo
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

https://youtu.be/NZxsb-j8bqk