AEB-L Urban sprint issue.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slumblor

Re: AEB-L Urban sprint issue.

Post by Slumblor »

I just found this thread yesterday as I have been waiting for my new urban. I've had the K390 since it first came out and love it, I had no issues with mine.

My AEB-L arrived today and I can see the differences and how the way the blade sits could be an issue, but mine seems ok and that doesn't bother me too much. But it is very stiff, so I went to loosen the pivot and it immediately just spun. Went from being excited for a new knife to disappointed pretty quickly.
Last edited by Slumblor on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I am curious about this one but a little cautious after reading this thread. Is the tip proud enough to catch your finger while reaching into your pocket?
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

Thanks for the positive input. I was getting the idea that none of the K390 Urbans were worth looking for.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Freediver wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:47 pm
I am curious about this one but a little cautious after reading this thread. Is the tip proud enough to catch your finger while reaching into your pocket?
NO !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

Freediver wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:47 pm
Mine is not sticking out enough to catch my finger. After multiple sharpenings tho, it could.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Ok, thanks!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Can anyone lay the new one over an older one?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I don't understand how and why this hypothetical " proud tip issue " started but people should be less ostentatious and more realistic and not try to create dark scenarios. We are talking a 65 $ little slipit here so...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:23 pm
I don't understand how and why this hypothetical " proud tip issue " started but people should be less ostentatious and more realistic and not try to create dark scenarios. We are talking a 65 $ little slipit here so...
I’m not sure if this is directed towards me, but if so sorry to offend you if so.
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

elena86 wrote:
Im not sure I understand why you say ‘hypothetical’ issue. Many ppl in this thread have said it’s an issue for them. If you sharpen a blade enough times the tip moves up the spine as the Blade length gets shorter, thus making the proud tip more exposed. The knife cost is irrelevant as to whether or not it is a ‘real’ issue.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Took less than 5 minutes to get the aebl tip perfectly positioned... a little longer for the k390, but it's perfect too.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

elena86 wrote:
This! I was thinking the same, decided not to say it, but since you did I will agree. These knives are very good and I would not avoid one based on this thread unless you have no possibility of a return.
For the record, I have both the K390 and the AEB-L. I would recommend either to a friend.

Edited to add missing word.
Last edited by JRinFL on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:19 pm
elena86 wrote:
This! I was thinking the same, decided not to say it, but since you did I will agree. These knives are very good and I would not avoid one based on this thread unless you no possibility of a return.
For the record, I have both the K390 and the AEB-L. I would recommend either to a friend.
You may not avoid one based on this thread but others might. Some ppl have really had issues with these knives and others should know. For the record, I have an AEB-L and am on the fence. I’m considering a k390. This is an open forum and discussion about any issues with Spyderco knives is fair game. I appreciate your input and opinions.
PineChaos

Post by PineChaos »

JRinFL wrote:
elena86 wrote:
This! I was thinking the same, decided not to say it, but since you did I will agree. These knives are very good and I would not avoid one based on this thread unless you have no possibility of a return.

More people need to speak up when these sort of "issues" come up. You can pick out imperfections on any knife regardless of it's price or maker, and I'm no stranger to doing so. But some of the stuff that gets tossed around here is unreasonable.

Here's my $.02, I've handled about a dozen of these AEB-L Urbans already. The finish is better than past Urbans, blades are nicely ground, the lock and detent are nice and strong. I tried to jam my finger on the closed tip to see if I could touch it, not happening. Jimping was not the cleanest but perfectly acceptable for a knife in this price range. It's a nice little knife. If you are intrigued by the steel, you should pick one up while they're available.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

PineChaos wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:34 am
JRinFL wrote:
elena86 wrote:

More people need to speak up when these sort of "issues" come up. You can pick out imperfections on any knife regardless of it's price or maker, and I'm no stranger to doing so. But some of the stuff that gets tossed around here is unreasonable.

Here's my $.02, I've handled about a dozen of these AEB-L Urbans already. The finish is better than past Urbans, blades are nicely ground, the lock and detent are nice and strong. I tried to jam my finger on the closed tip to see if I could touch it, not happening. Jimping was not the cleanest but perfectly acceptable for a knife in this price range. It's a nice little knife. If you are intrigued by the steel, you should pick one up while they're available.
Where's the thumb's up icon when I need one?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc, we’ll have to settle for

+1
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:48 am
PineChaos wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:34 am
JRinFL wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Where's the thumb's up icon when I need one?
Fair enough, it’s not currently an issue. I’m looking to get years of use out of a Spyderco knife. If I use this knife daily and sharpen it a few times a month, over time, I can’t help but to feel it WILL be an issue. I’m still on the fence here and was gauging what other peoples experiences and opinions were. I appreciate everyone’s input here and have learned a bunch from this thread, that’s what it’s all about.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

While i do see a prominent gap between the blade and the backspacer there is absolutely no fear that I'll get hurt. It's deep enough in the scale to make that a non issue. Enough rounds of sharpening, yes, that will become a factor to consider, but seeing how easy it is to fix means I'll take that course of action when i need to
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wish people would send their knives in to Spyderco so they can see this in person.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Redman5006 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:02 pm
Thanks for the positive input. I was getting the idea that none of the K390 Urbans were worth looking for.
FWIW, my K390 Urban is great. No issues whatsoever. I follow these forums daily and I'd never even heard there was some with issues until it was mentioned in this thread.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!