Upcoming Sage 5 LW - Who's In?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unadan

Upcoming Sage 5 LW - Who's In?

Post by Unadan »

I'm very interested in the upcoming Sage 5 LW. Especially since I haven't been able to put my hands on a FRN Chaparral. Other than the obvious differences in locking mechanisms and blade length - what do you see as the pros/cons of this Sage model vs the FRN Chaparral?
curlyhairedboy

Re: Upcoming Sage 5 LW - Who's In?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Better edge retention* and beefier stock, as well as slightly improved ergonomics for larger hands

EDIT: * Was thinking of the para 3 LW when i mentioned this
Last edited by curlyhairedboy on Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'll be buying one as soon as it drops. The Chap LW and Para 3 LW are two of my favorites. This appears to combine the best of both of them. No brainer. Hope to see a few sprints/exclusives of this one
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:38 pm
Better edge retention....
In my experience the CTS HXP of the Chap has better edge retention than S30V... in fact, it feels like a "slghtly better S30 V" to me personally...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
In my experience the CTS HXP of the Chap has better edge retention than S30V... in fact, it feels like a "slghtly better S30 V" to me personally...
Ditto.

XHP has treated me better than s30v. I've spent a substantial amount of time with the Chap and the Sage (various models of each) and I definitely feel like the Chap has the advantage in edge retention.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Unadan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:22 pm
I'm very interested in the upcoming Sage 5 LW. Especially since I haven't been able to put my hands on a FRN Chaparral. Other than the obvious differences in locking mechanisms and blade length - what do you see as the pros/cons of this Sage model vs the FRN Chaparral?
I think the FRN Chap and the Sage 5 LW are, other than their somewhat similar shape, quite different knives:

For me personally the Chap FRN is almost defined by its unique, thin (but still strong!) 2 mm bladestock and its slimness in width, which makes it carry almost unnoticable. Still, its very comfortable in hand, for me even more than the Native 5 FRN (I obviously never handled a Sage LW, so I can´t talk about that one).
Both the thin stock and the slim profile the Sage does not offer.

Then, for me the backlock vs comp.lock makes a huge difference, especially since the Chap FRN features the best executed backlock I´ve ever experienced. Maybe the Native 5 lock is on par.

Furthermore, the Chap has full steel liners, which makes it feel very solid and strong (I think this knife really does need liners, for its FRN handle slabs are so thin). Don´t know about the Sage LW, Eric mentioned in some vid that it has, unlike the Para 3 LW, also liners that go all the way round the handle.

Obviously the Chap is also noticable smaller and lighter, and offers a bit less edge (though the edge to handle ration is really good generally).
That the Chap is shorter in the handle, makes me really LIKE its choil, cause much like on the DFly it is needed to offer a full four finger grip for bigger hands. While on the Sage, I think the choil is in some way "wasted space" and sacrifices edge, for the handle-length would offer a full four finger grip anyway if shaped diferently and choil-less.

Lastly I like the CTS HXP slightly better than S30V (though S 30V is very similar and quite close as far as I can tell and totally fine!)

That being said: The Sage LW looks like a cool knife, and I´d clearly prefer it over the Para 3 lw for example! Why that?:
(Sage 5 LW vs Para 3 LW): More edge in a shorter package; I prefer the leaf shape in smaller blades; a bit stouter tip probably; no "hook" at the end of the handle (I like that hook in BIG knives, but on short ones it can prevent a good four finger grip on the handle (without choking up) for bigger hands); less thumb ramp; and, maybe most important: Thinner blade stock on the Sage 5. Much better especially in such a small blade.
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

The Sage LW will have the new bushing system as the Ikuchi, Kapara and other newer compression lock models. Eric mentioned this at blade I believe.
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

The Sage 5 LW will have the new bushing system like the Ikuchi, Kapara and other newer compression lock models. Eric mentioned this at blade I believe.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Wartstein wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
you're absolutely right, and that's true in my experience as well. I had a bit of a brain fart and was thinking of comparing the new Para 3 LW to the Sage 5 LW. :eek: ;)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
you're absolutely right, and that's true in my experience as well. I had a bit of a brain fart and was thinking of comparing the new Para 3 LW to the Sage 5 LW. :eek: ;)
I see... :)
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I'll be grabbing one for sure, especially since I've absolutely fallen in love with my LW Para 3 and like others, can't find a FRN or CF Chaparral anywhere........
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

So based on the above it appears the Sage 5 FRN is a loser before it even gets released! :)
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've never had a Sage and I may just have to pick up the LW when it drops. I really like my Chaparral FRN and carry it often. Either of these knives will excel at most of my weekday/workday EDC needs. If I needed something a little stouter I'd carry my Native 5 LW. If I needed a little more reach I'd throw my Centofante 3 in my pocket. Weekends I usually pack a fixed blade and a SAK Pioneer.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'm in.
I expect the LW version to be every bit as stout as the native.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Unadan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 am
So based on the above it appears the Sage 5 FRN is a loser before it even gets released! :)
No offense, but I don´t see how you came to that conclusion?!

You just asked how it compares to the Chap FRN, and the Sage lw is clearly a quite different knife. But not BAD by any means! While I prefer the Chap for the reasons I gave in my previous post,I also stated, that I think the Sage LW is a cool and for me better than for example the Para 3 LW knife...

And when it comes to their steels: S30 V is totally fine, but CTS HXP maybe even a tiny bit better...
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

^Mostly tongue in cheek hence the smiley face. :) :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Unadan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 pm
^Mostly tongue in cheek hence the smiley face.
"tongue in cheek"... really had to look up what that means (I am obvioulsy not a native speaker in English) ;)
Thanks for teaching me a new term! :)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm excited about this one. Have wanted a Sage for a while now. Go back and forth on the 1 and 5. If this one is noticeably less dinero - I know which lock I'll get in carbon fiber and which one I'll get in FRN.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

What is the price point going to be on these anyway
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i am in as well, hoping to get both sage 5s but this one first. yes price anyone$ 130 ish?
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9