Upcoming Sage 5 LW - Who's In?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Upcoming Sage 5 LW - Who's In?

Post by GarageBoy »

But then, sage 5 lw vs native lw?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:03 pm
But then, sage 5 lw vs native lw?
Tough one.

For me personally, the superb backlock strongly speaks for the Native, but most things else for the Sage, especially its 10% longer edge in a quite similar closed package..
It also looks as if the Sage would offer more space for a good grip BEHIND the choil than the Native (could be wrong though).

Anyway, if I'd settle for an edge that short as the Natives (61mm) , I'd always choose the Chaparral over it (60mm of edge, so virtually the same).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:47 am
i am in as well, hoping to get both sage 5s but this one first. yes price anyone$ 130 ish?
I'm really hoping cheaper than that. I'm hoping It's in line with the para lightweight, and chap lightweight. Right around 90
mayong

Post by mayong »

I'm in. The leaf is my favorite among all blade shapes!
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

I hope for a price point on par with the p3 lw. I can't justify a Para 3 Lightweight.
Opinions on different places are divided on the bd1n steel, the blade grind is massive for a folder this size and the sage 5 proved to me that less is so much more. I tried carrying my Para 3 cruwear to give it a second chance, and I love cruwear. It's likely my favorite steel in a folder, so when I say I actually gave that Para 3 away to a friend afterwards and still don't regret it, it's safe to say I did the right thing holding out for the sage 5 lightweight.

The sage line is one of my favorite. Doesn't need changes other that flair or flavor because to me it's as good as it gets in its simplicity. Never felt the need to get them all, save for the titanium 2 because it's ridiculously beautiful, but I'll end up using the 5 or lw anyway.
This and the ikuchi are my most valuable purchases this year in terms of use, the dlt tan dlc 20cv pm2 is cool and I've been carrying it a lot, but that's mostly because of the new factor. I'll end up switching it out to cruwear one day, m390 another, plain black on black s30v etc.

The ikuchi is this knife that weights nothing, thin stock unlike 90 percent of all folders nowadays. And now it's broken in and the wheel made less sharp it fires open and a simple wrist flick closes it. And the blade is locked up, very tight but smooth in deployment. I thought it would be a comprise what with the Itty bitty washers on there but none of that. Well done Paul. I've thrown it on my person pretty much every day. It'll be the sage 5 that will share that function. Wonder about the bushing pivot system too in a sage.