looking for custom scale maker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Post by foofie »

anycal wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:29 am
The CF scales from Akhmedov are very well made. Little thicker for my taste, but great looking scalels.

Couldn't resist those CF Ikuchi scales from Cuscadi. Ordered. I will report back in 2-3 weeks.

Please do. I noticed that there is no chamfering on those scales - wondering if they will feel blocky.

Edit - blocky and Ikuchi??!!
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

I have had all my scales come from cuscudi no complains.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I have no issues with cuscadi. In fact I am a big fan.
Years ago (read pre-spyderco), I had a BM940 that I loved. I didn't like the aluminum, so had cuscadi make cf scales. Back then, it was a slab of cf with no contouring or chamfering like they now do. The scales were beautiful, but felt horrible in hand. That's why I always look at how any scale maker chamfers or breaks the edges. I have found that I dislike straight slabs.

I will add I was staring at pics on the internet, and it looks like the stock ikuchi scales don't have much chamfering either. I will check tonight when I get home - this may all be a non-issue.
Those scales are really nice...
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Another vote for Cuscadi.It's expensive,but their quality is as perfect as you will possibly get.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JustinTheTown

Post by JustinTheTown »

Mako109 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:05 pm
Ferris Wheels wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:14 pm
Where did you get the blue hardware? Are those custom lanyard tubes?

Classy looking customs. Been considering Aramis' scales for a little while now.
Titanium hardware is from eBay seller xxxadrenalinxxx based out of Australia. He's very responsive and will work with you to get things right. Considering the distance from Australia to the US, fulfillment is relatively fast. I highly recommend him.

Lol uhh, why are his screw kits listed in the $6,000 range?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

JustinTheTown wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:54 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Ferris Wheels wrote:

Titanium hardware is from eBay seller xxxadrenalinxxx based out of Australia. He's very responsive and will work with you to get things right. Considering the distance from Australia to the US, fulfillment is relatively fast. I highly recommend him.

He does it that way just to indicate they are out of stock. If you try to purchase you'll see they're unavailable. This way he doesn't have to re-list each item every time they're back in stock. His stuff sells fairly quick and he's always working to fulfill orders.

Welcome to the forum.
JustinTheTown

Post by JustinTheTown »

Mako109 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:58 pm
JustinTheTown wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:54 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Ferris Wheels wrote:

He does it that way just to indicate they are out of stock. If you try to purchase you'll see they're unavailable. This way he doesn't have to re-list each item every time they're back in stock. His stuff sells fairly quick and he's always working to fulfill orders.

Welcome to the forum.
Awe makes sense, I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks for the info and the welcome.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I just got notification - my para3 in maxamet has shipped. I guess Aramis scales go to the top of the list.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have quite a few custom scales from several makers. Aside from the absolute highest quality sets I have ever seen or held from Steve Ketchen (who has since disappeared into thin air with three of my knives a while back that even police involvement couldn’t recover), I’ve picked up multiple CF and silver twill sets from Aramis Akhmedov that were exceptional.

Before Steve, I first started my custom scale journey with Luke at Cuscadi but he unfortunately he didn’t quite deliver what I wanted and requested on two occasions - namely Native 5 scales without a lanyard hole. Seems like a small detail and easy enough NOT to drill out, but each time I received them, the holes were there! The fit wasn’t quite right either and upon sending the scales to Steve to polish up a bit more, he mentioned the screw holes weren’t counter-bored correctly either. I really like what Cuscadi offers style-wise but I’m not sure I’d use him again for scale sets - backspacers maybe. The desert ironwood ones I have from Cuscadi have also cracked. :(

Other folks I’ve had experiences with are RC Bladeworks who offers his scale sets (mostly PM2 and Para 3s) on both IG and eBay that are top-notch and Eric AKA ShepardCC who makes nice stuff but is notoriously difficult to deal with sometimes. I’m interested in trying out Clover Knifeworks (books closed according to his IG page but worth a try), and several folks here on the forum if I can convince them :D: Michael Reinhold has made a few drool-worthy sets, Chad AKA explorer42, and an up and coming fellow named Liquid Cobra! ;) Hope that helps!(?) Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I think my good buddy RadioactiveSpyder covered it as well as I could have. Only thing I’d say is that Craig J. Morgan also makes some phenomenal wood scales. He’s the president of OKCA and just and all around great guy and friend. He’s on Facebook and IG if you want to get ahold of him.

Rich
Think for yourself