looking for custom scale maker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie
Member
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

looking for custom scale maker

Postby foofie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 pm

I have decided that my air and ikuchi need custom scales. One is disco'd, the other so new that my usual sources for scales do not have either model. I am guessing that I will need to send the knives to a scale maker - so looking for quality and trustworthy craftsmen.

Looking for any suggestions.
If you have had a bad experience, perhaps pm me but maybe don't post it here?

I saw a picture of some crosscut micarta, and now can't stop thinking about that. Feel free to post any custom scale pictures along with the maker, since we all love looking :D
Thanks.
btw - live in California - so ideally someone in the conus.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5647
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Only - but good - experience with cuscadi.de...
Unfortunately based in Europe...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5647
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Added to my post above: Just looked it up, their worldwide shipping is 15 Euro, so really quite ok.

If they have or can make the scales you want and you don't have to send them your knives, that could be an option.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

foofie
Member
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby foofie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:21 pm
Only - but good - experience with cuscadi.de...
Unfortunately based in Europe...
Cuscadi is great - will post some pics up later. But Luke has no access to these knives, and I don't want to ship them to Germany and back...

User avatar
DutchBlades
Member
Posts: 1629
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby DutchBlades » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:28 pm

+1 for Cuscadi; I've had several scales and they never disappointed (apart from an uneven sanded CF backspacer for the Techno).
:spyder: A tiger has claws,
A wolf has teeth,
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco. :spyder:

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto

Spook410
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:34 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Spook410 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 pm

update: Cuscadi is showing on FB that they have Ikuchi scales available.

Textured 3D G10 PM3 scales from Cuscadi have been great. No issues with the transaction. Good selection (reference pictures on his FB page) of materials and designs for well established models. Not sure what newer models are available. It's a small shop so there won't be scales for every model knife made.

Wish Spyderco would offer textured 3D G10 instead of the flat boards on some sprints.

User avatar
Mako109
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: Seattle/San Francisco, USA

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Mako109 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Contact Eric of Shepard Custom Creations.

Website: shepard-custom-creations.myshopify.com
Instagram: @shepardcc

Based in the US and makes some great looking custom scales. He's working on my order right now so I'll be able to report first hand on his work in the days to come. The photos on his website and IG speaks to the quality his work.

foofie
Member
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby foofie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Spook410 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 pm
update: Cuscadi is showing on FB that they have Ikuchi scales available.

Textured 3D G10 PM3 scales from Cuscadi have been great. No issues with the transaction. Good selection (reference pictures on his FB page) of materials and designs for well established models. Not sure what newer models are available. It's a small shop so there won't be scales for every model knife made.

Wish Spyderco would offer textured 3D G10 instead of the flat boards on some sprints.
Thanks for the update! I have worked with Cuscadi many a times. Maybe this means it is time to get on Facebook :eek:

Cscottsss
Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:33 am
Location: Lexington, KY

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Cscottsss » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Hands down Aramis, dude makes some amazing scales.

foofie
Member
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby foofie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 pm
Hands down Aramis, dude makes some amazing scales.
Yes - he is quite the cnc wizard. Unfortunately does not do custom orders on new knives. And a bit far away.
That said - I have been considering his scales for a para3. I emailed him, but haven't received a reply - does anyone know if his scales will work with a deep carry clip? The clip side of the pm2 scales I saw all have a milled relief for a standard clip. Because they are 3-d contoured, nonstandard clips don't appear to work?

User avatar
Mako109
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: Seattle/San Francisco, USA

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Mako109 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:03 pm

foofie wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 pm
Hands down Aramis, dude makes some amazing scales.
Yes - he is quite the cnc wizard. Unfortunately does not do custom orders on new knives. And a bit far away.
That said - I have been considering his scales for a para3. I emailed him, but haven't received a reply - does anyone know if his scales will work with a deep carry clip? The clip side of the pm2 scales I saw all have a milled relief for a standard clip. Because they are 3-d contoured, nonstandard clips don't appear to work?
Here's a pic of a few of my PM2s, all with Aramis Scales and MXG Gear deep carry pocket clips. I didn't ask him to do anything special and the clips fit and look great. Later he informed me that he can make the scales specifically for deep carry pocket clips, but I prefer it the way it is. That gives me the option of switching to standard clips if needed. He also offered to make Yojimbo 2 scales for me configured for deep pocket carry clips.

I don't know if he'll do them for his PM3 scales, but ask him. He certainly has the capability.
Image

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4189
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby TomAiello » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:23 pm

foofie wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 pm
Hands down Aramis, dude makes some amazing scales.
Yes - he is quite the cnc wizard. Unfortunately does not do custom orders on new knives. And a bit far away.
That said - I have been considering his scales for a para3. I emailed him, but haven't received a reply - does anyone know if his scales will work with a deep carry clip? The clip side of the pm2 scales I saw all have a milled relief for a standard clip. Because they are 3-d contoured, nonstandard clips don't appear to work?
I had to rework my Aramis PM2 scales to make a deep carry clip work. With his stock clip spot, the deep carry clip is awkward. It actually will screw in, if you have the right screws, it just won't sit quite flat.

I ended up going with the solid ti non-deep carry MXG clip, and I'm surprised how much I like it (I'm definitely a deep carry guy).

I keep considering his PM3 scales as well. Combining no deep carry with the already very high factory clip location, though, is giving me pause on that.

FWIW, Aramis scales are hands down the best ones I own (and I have a lot that I have nothing bad to say about). They give my PM2 a totally different feel--its like a totally new knife.

Ferris Wheels
Member
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Ferris Wheels » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Mako109 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:03 pm
foofie wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 pm
Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 pm
Hands down Aramis, dude makes some amazing scales.
Yes - he is quite the cnc wizard. Unfortunately does not do custom orders on new knives. And a bit far away.
That said - I have been considering his scales for a para3. I emailed him, but haven't received a reply - does anyone know if his scales will work with a deep carry clip? The clip side of the pm2 scales I saw all have a milled relief for a standard clip. Because they are 3-d contoured, nonstandard clips don't appear to work?
Here's a pic of a few of my PM2s, all with Aramis Scales and MXG Gear deep carry pocket clips. I didn't ask him to do anything special and the clips fit and look great. Later he informed me that he can make the scales specifically for deep carry pocket clips, but I prefer it the way it is. That gives me the option of switching to standard clips if needed. He also offered to make Yojimbo 2 scales for me configured for deep pocket carry clips.

I don't know if he'll do them for his PM3 scales, but ask him. He certainly has the capability.
Image


Where did you get the blue hardware? Are those custom lanyard tubes?


Classy looking customs. Been considering Aramis' scales for a little while now.

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 2235
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Larry_Mott » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm

What about Suingab /g10.it
I have ordered a pair of these babies, stunning IMO

Image
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

User avatar
jpm2
Member
Posts: 864
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: TX - in the sticks

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby jpm2 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Here's some scales I made from scrap micarta.

Image

Image

I'm just showing them for reference and not recommending this maker, I had a lot of trouble with him.

foofie
Member
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby foofie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:11 pm

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:29 pm
Here's some scales I made from scrap micarta.

I'm just showing them for reference and not recommending this maker, I had a lot of trouble with him.
Nicely done - kind of what I am looking for. Too bad the maker is questionable :p
Ok - gonna do the Air for sure. Now thinking of Aramis scales for para3 rather than ikuchi scales.

User avatar
Forest Green
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:04 am

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Forest Green » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm
What about Suingab /g10.it
I have ordered a pair of these babies, stunning IMO

Image
Suingab did these 3D shredded carbon fiber "Tribute to Bob Lum" scales, the inlay is quite stunning, I had absolutely no trouble ordering or receiving , I will happily order from him again.
Attachments
IMG_1431.jpg

User avatar
Mako109
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: Seattle/San Francisco, USA

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Mako109 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Ferris Wheels wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:14 pm
Where did you get the blue hardware? Are those custom lanyard tubes?


Classy looking customs. Been considering Aramis' scales for a little while now.
Titanium hardware is from eBay seller xxxadrenalinxxx based out of Australia. He's very responsive and will work with you to get things right. Considering the distance from Australia to the US, fulfillment is relatively fast. I highly recommend him.

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 8930
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby Doc Dan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:02 pm

BOOMER52, a member of this forum does CNC scales for Spydercos. You can email him directly by clicking on his profile.

There are some really good scale makers out there, nowadays.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
anycal
Member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: California

Re: looking for custom scale maker

Postby anycal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:29 am

The CF scales from Akhmedov are very well made. Little thicker for my taste, but great looking scalels.

Couldn't resist those CF Ikuchi scales from Cuscadi. Ordered. I will report back in 2-3 weeks.

Image
Peter


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ankerson, archangel, Bill1170, Bing [Bot], JMM, Larrin, max power, Spydergirl88, tbdoc4kids and 54 guests