Finally.......whew...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Finally.......whew...

Post by MacLaren »

Just bought a pretty much brand new Yo2 in 20cv ( my favorite steel for allround use - 204p,m390,20cv- that little family :D )
Should be here Wednesday I'm hoping anyways.
Its gonna be so good to have a Yo2 again!!
Btw, the CF looks REALLY GOOOD on this model.
Any pics and comments of Yo2 20cv are certainly welcome!
ZrowsN1s

Re: Finally.......whew...

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Congrats on the new knife :D
The Yo2 is a favorite.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:29 pm
Congrats on the new knife :D
The Yo2 is a favorite.
Thank you.
And, yes one of my faves for sure. Really glad to be getting one again.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

They are great and come razor sharp from the factory. I had to have one for my left and right front pockets so I bought two. They are almost too pretty to use!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 pm
They are great and come razor sharp from the factory. I had to have one for my left and right front pockets so I bought two. They are almost too pretty to use!
Nice :D
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Is that a newly released variant? I hadn't heard of it...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Congrats on your new acquisition. A unique knife and easily one of my top 5 Spyderco's. Purchased the G10/S30V in 2012 and the CF/CPM20V this year. Loved the smooth texture of the CF so much that I smoothed the G10 scales myself. To me that elevated its looks to where is resembles smooth ebony micarta, and it feels just like the CF version in hand.

The F&F on my CF version has to be one of the best examples I have ever received from Spyderco. Straight out-of-the-box the blade was literally hair shaving sharp.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mako109 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:51 pm
Congrats on your new acquisition. A unique knife and easily one of my top 5 Spyderco's. Purchased the G10/S30V in 2012 and the CF/CPM20V this year. Loved the smooth texture of the CF so much that I smoothed the G10 scales myself. To me that elevated its looks to where is resembles smooth ebony micarta, and it feels just like the CF version in hand.

The F&F on my CF version has to be one of the best examples I have ever received from Spyderco. Straight out-of-the-box the blade was literally hair shaving sharp.

Thank you Mako.
Very, very, nice!!
Ya know, I realize that the Yo2 in 20cv, is a departure from other CF Spydies in that shes not peel ply, but solid Carbon Fiber.
I really like that.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:00 pm
Ya know, I realize that the Yo2 in 20cv, is a departure from other CF Spydies in that shes not peel ply, but solid Carbon Fiber.
I really like that.
Just to clarify, "peel ply" is a layer of plastic-backed mesh or something similar that's peeled off to leave a texture on a sheet of composite after forming and curing. (In boats/aircraft/etc this gives better adhesion when gluing parts together.)

Spyderco typically uses the term to denote the extra-grippy texture on CF sprint runs out of Golden. Here's a picture of what it looks like from a different supplier. Technically, I think most textured G-10 is also peel ply, but Spyderco started using it with CF to distinguish it from the glossy or matte-finish scales coming from Japan.

The CF+G-10 material uses in flat-slab CF models from Taichung has a similar texture, but Spyderco calls it "Carbon Fiber / G-10 Laminate" to avoid confusion.

As far as I recall, all the CF used in Golden is solid. Solid CF is used in Taichung any time there's 3-D contouring, and I'm pretty sure all Japan models also have solid CF even if they're not contoured.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:54 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:00 pm
I really like that.
Just to clarify, "peel ply" is a layer of plastic-backed mesh or something similar that's peeled off to leave a texture on a sheet of composite after forming and curing. (In boats/aircraft/etc this gives better adhesion when gluing parts together.)

Spyderco typically uses the term to denote the extra-grippy texture on CF sprint runs out of Golden. Here's a picture of what it looks like from a different supplier. Technically, I think most textured G-10 is also peel ply, but Spyderco started using it with CF to distinguish it from the glossy or matte-finish scales coming from Japan.

The CF+G-10 material uses in flat-slab CF models from Taichung has a similar texture, but Spyderco calls it "Carbon Fiber / G-10 Laminate" to avoid confusion.

As far as I recall, all the CF used in Golden is solid. Solid CF is used in Taichung any time there's 3-D contouring, and I'm pretty sure all Japan models also have solid CF even if they're not contoured.

The Yo2 in s90v looks to be peel ply cf or cf/g10 lam.
I could be wrong though. Actually, this will be the first solid cf I've ever seen from Spyderco.But, that's just me. The Gayle Bradly 1 was peel ply cf, also a Sage I once had was peel ply cf too.
Dont get me wrong, I love peel ply cf.
Actually, I think the Millie in 52100 I had was solid carbon fiber?
Also, forgive me for calling everything that's not solid carbon fiber, peel ply. I'm sure there are carbon fiber G10 laminate too like you stated.
Lol, thinking again, I think the Millie in 52100 was cf/g10 laminate?
Last edited by MacLaren on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benisben25

Post by benisben25 »

Stopppp. I’ve been back and forth on ordering this for months now... looks like I know what I’ll be doing. Congrats on the new knife!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benisben25 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:04 pm
Stopppp. I’ve been back and forth on ordering this for months now... looks like I know what I’ll be doing. Congrats on the new knife!
Lol!!! :D
That was awesome
Pull that trigger man! :D
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:58 pm
Also, forgive me for calling everything that's not solid carbon fiber, peel ply. I'm sure there are carbon fiber G10 laminate too like you stated.
Not to belabor the point, but whatever you want to call it, peel-ply CF IS solid carbon fiber. Peel-ply is just a surface texture. Smooth CF, peel-ply CF, BOTH are solid carbon fiber :) That is what he was saying, and that's what it is (unless it is specifically specified as a laminate, which could have either surface textures too).

Congrats on the awesome knife, I'm a big fan of Yo2.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

dogrunner wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:58 pm
Not to belabor the point, but whatever you want to call it, peel-ply CF IS solid carbon fiber. Peel-ply is just a surface texture. Smooth CF, peel-ply CF, BOTH are solid carbon fiber :) That is what he was saying, and that's what it is (unless it is specifically specified as a laminate, which could have either surface textures too).

Congrats on the awesome knife, I'm a big fan of Yo2.
I did not know that.
It's just such a big difference when you compare a normal cf from spyderco to say cf from ZT, or Brous for instance
Thanx for the info.
And, thanx for the congratz :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

At any rate......it should be here Wednesday I'm hoping.
I'll put some pics up.
Man, it really does feel good to have a Yo2 again.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:08 pm
I did not know that.
It's just such a big difference when you compare a normal cf from spyderco to say cf from ZT, or Brous for instance
Thanx for the info.
The Taiwan-made CF laminate is fairly unusual stuff. The fact that you had so many early examples of it makes it understandable that you'd assume most Spyderco CF is the same. I think China is the only other place they're using it, though that could have changed in the last few years.

I don't mind it myself, but I understand why it throws people off.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:43 am
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:08 pm
I did not know that.
Thanx for the info.
The Taiwan-made CF laminate is fairly unusual stuff. The fact that you had so many early examples of it makes it understandable that you'd assume most Spyderco CF is the same. I think China is the only other place they're using it, though that could have changed in the last few years.

I don't mind it myself, but I understand why it throws people off.
Ah, thank you. That makes perfect sense.
I really appreciate your patience and understanding. :)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Congrats on your Yo 2!!! I hope it lives up to all your expectations and serves you well!!!!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:53 am
Congrats on your Yo 2!!! I hope it lives up to all your expectations and serves you well!!!!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanx Mr.Janich!
I have zero doubt it will, as the other surely did :D
And, its here today! It was just mailed out yesterday. Come to find out, the guy I bought it from lives in NC too.
Cant wait to pick her up!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just got her in hand. And, WOW. This is the same CF that ZT uses, except she feels just a bit smoother.
Man, this piece is perfection I must say. And, the seller wasnt kiddin lol. This baby is pretty much brand hammer new.
And, talk about SHARP. This YO2 is on another level imo.
The guys and gals in Golden really outdid themselves.
And, I'm not sayin this just because I bought it and its mine.
Lol, anyone on the fence, can jump!!
Pics and thread to come later.....