High HRC is not equal high wear resistance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Banter 247

Re: High HRC is not equal high wear resistance

Post by Banter 247 »

For the sake of calibrating... the people driving the hrc conversation are all specifically repeating that hrc is only one contributing predictor of performance. We’ve been repeating this every time we’ve talked about it.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Virtually any knife below optimal hardness still works.
Knives with subpar geometry work.
Knives that aren't very sharp work.
Ugly knives work.
Knives with poor fit and finish work.
Knives without locks work.
Knives with cheap Chinese mystery steel work.
And so on.

The community just has its things they value over others. 440c used to be considered (essentially) super steel, now hardly anyone wants it. It isn't that a knife in 440c doesn't work, it's that there are other options that objectively work better. And since we're all knife nerds here, we're usually drawn to those options. I feel like reaching optimal hardness is just another step in this process of the evolution of development on a production level as well as the continuous growth in popularity of high performance options. We'll likely be seeing harder knives in the future (not all models and companies, but certainly some), with HT protocols more focused on strength and stability, because they flat out perform better.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Banter 247 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:50 am
For the sake of calibrating... the people driving the hrc conversation are all specifically repeating that hrc is only one contributing predictor of performance. We’ve been repeating this every time we’ve talked about it.
Yeah, you see a lot of that on the internet in general.

Statement: "X matters"
Response: "X isn't everything, know"
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Banter 247 wrote:
I can confirm this. And I really value the measurements that are done, cut tests, etc. But your consumers are often over-simplifying, leading to tons of misinformation on the inter-tubes, painful to filter for a beginner in this hobby (= me two years ago).

Since I started the thread with Rex45 vs. Cruwear, let me add that I still like the Rex45 PM2 just as much as the Cruwear one. HRC does matter, e.g., it's nice to carry a knife that can cut a steel cable. HRC data are valuable, and so are wear resistance, toughness, and corrosion resistance data. But - even if they are interrelated - there is no reason to mingle the 4 metrics. They are great excuses to have multiple knives :)

Roland.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

ferider wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:57 am
Banter 247 wrote:
I can confirm this. And I really value the measurements that are done, cut tests, etc. But your consumers are often over-simplifying, leading to tons of misinformation on the inter-tubes, painful to filter for a beginner in this hobby (= me two years ago).

Since I started the thread with Rex45 vs. Cruwear, let me add that I still like the Rex45 PM2 just as much as the Cruwear one. HRC does matter, e.g., it's nice to carry a knife that can cut a steel cable. HRC data are valuable, and so are wear resistance, toughness, and corrosion resistance data. But - even if they are interrelated - there is no reason to mingle the 4 metrics. They are great excuses to have multiple knives :)

Roland.

Multiple knives, for the Win! :D