Spyderco CS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

Re: Spyderco CS

Post by soc_monki »

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:38 am
soc_monki wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:12 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:23 pm
I like that story! Habby B Day to your son, may I ask how old he is now? If still more or less a kid, the Para 3 is a great choice for a first Spydie I think.
I think it's kinda sharp for first knife. I went with the wooden dragonfly for my 2 YO son.
2 is a little young for a knife period imo. My son is 2 and a half and I wouldn't trust him with a wooden knife! He tends to get a little spirited at times though!

I was playing with my dad's Swiss army knife when I was probably 5 or 6. Cut the dickens out of my thumb too! Learned not to play with sharp objects! Now I play with my knives a lot, but I'm more careful.

Good on Sal and the company! Gotta love when you hear stories like this. Which makes me want to go order an Amalgam that much more! Must wait until next month though!
My son is not special in any way (just for me of course :p ) but he uses knives that aren't sharp or pointy with success.

Take a look at this article I searched just now:
http://www.thekavanaughreport.com/2017/ ... l.html?m=1

He uses other tools daily as well, like screwdrivers (including battery type) hammers (he has his own wooden hammer) and of course"kids tools" to use with play-doh, dustpan and brush... well almost everything apart of power tools, sharp stuff, chemicals, hot stuff and sometimes (but only sometimes) things that can lead to a water flood :D

Kids can do much more than we think they can, it just takes (a lot of) attention and a safety minded approach.
Interesting... My son helps put up dishes and silverware, and helps to cook. Well, kind of! Messes are made, but that's all part of learning. He loves to try and run off with some of my tools, although I try to keep him away from my pliers and things of that nature because if he gets a finger in the cutting edges and happens to fall or whatever, there goes a finger!

He tries to drive my car as well... **** turn the wheel, operates the shifter (he's learned manual already!) but he can't reach the pedals yet! Haha! And he tries to play my guitars. I can only imagine that he's going to get into knives as well, but we'll see!

And aren't our kids the most special to us? That just comes with the territory I think! :D
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

I have to disagree on him being 'too young' - This is why I feel that way... First, I am a US Marine combat veteran and have taught him about gun & knife safety since he was 4. His first knife was an Opinel, I can't remember the model, but it had a rounded tip. He shot his first deer at 9, and he could probably survive on his own longer then most young adults nowadays. He is also a NJHS member.

Sorry if I sound like one of those 'my child is the best kid ever' parents, because I am not. I just wanted to explain my decision to allow him to own a PM3. (Which will sit in his drawer most of the year lol.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I'm sure no other knife company would have done that.Thanks for sharing.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sober_Survival wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:51 pm
He is 13.

How long do all of my posts have to be approved? It's a slow process lol
Read your post just right now!! (I think it did not show up earlier)
13 is old enough for carrying a knife imho, no doubt!

(Concerning approval of posts: I think that will end after three or four).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sober_Survival wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:04 pm
I have to disagree on him being 'too young' - This is why I feel that way... First, I am a US Marine combat veteran and have taught him about gun & knife safety since he was 4. His first knife was an Opinel, I can't remember the model, but it had a rounded tip. He shot his first deer at 9, and he could probably survive on his own longer then most young adults nowadays. He is also a NJHS member.

Sorry if I sound like one of those 'my child is the best kid ever' parents, because I am not. I just wanted to explain my decision to allow him to own a PM3. (Which will sit in his drawer most of the year lol.
Actually you sound like a great dad... :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:34 am
Sober_Survival wrote:

Thanks. I appreciate that.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

And it is STILL making my posts be approved...?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sober_Survival wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:34 am
Sober_Survival wrote:

Thanks. I appreciate that.
You're welcome, I mean it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chris,

I believe your posts have all been approved.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I come from a different age and time. I got my first knife when I was 6 y/o and I got my first shotgun for my 9th birthday and my first rifle that Christmas. I still have them. However, I was taught properly from the time I could walk and got my fanny whacked if I did anything unsafe.

If a parent takes a lot of time, and teaches a kid (who is not exhibiting anti-social traits) the right way, consistently, then a young age is okay. I am aware, however, that things are a bit different, now, than in my Mayberryish youth.

BTW, Kudos to Spyderco CS.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:50 am
Hi Chris,

I believe your posts have all been approved.

sal

Thanks Sal. As a Marine Corps combat veteran, it's always nice to see leadership take an active role. Hope that makes sense. 🇺🇸
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

First of all, I really enjoy hearing positive stories about Spyderco's customer service. It's reassuring to know they take care of us when we need it.

Secondly, great choice for your son's first Spyderco. I'm sure he'll enjoy it for a very long time. It's also good to hear you've taught him about gun and knife safety from a young age. Sounds like you're doing a good job raising a responsible young man.

Lastly, but definitely not the least important, thank you for your service.