Janisong clip and why we need more like it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Janisong clip and why we need more like it.

Post by VashHash »

Why don't we see more clips like this?

It's a low ride clip and it's got countersunk screws that don't snag when you pocket it. This has been my issue with a lot of low ride clips. They use a rounded screw head that snags the seam of the pocket and makes it harder to draw the knife. I think this clip should be offered on more models.
youmakemehole

Re: Janisong clip and why we need more like it.

Post by youmakemehole »

Like all things that are nicer they also cost more to produce all else held equal. Otherwise you are looking at a weaker design if you want it to cost the same, not to mention it presents more of a challenge to find a design that works with every knife. Just look at how wide the space is between the mounting holes! That clip will only work on the Janisong
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've heard that the janisong clip only fully slips into deep carry on very slender material; perhaps an iteration would increase the radius of the bend?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Clearly you have never tried to put the Janisong clip on a pair of jeans. It sucks! The clip bend is not wide enough to accommodate jeans. If they fixed it, I agree it would be a fine quality deep carry clip.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I don't think the cost difference would be huge. I haven't been able to handle a janisong since I live in the USA and they weren't brought here by spyderco. I just think these changes should be applied to more models. I think it would be an easy conversion for most models to do something similar. It's not a milled ti clip or anything fancy. Just has the right touches for deep carry. I also think they could make the clip thinner to adapt it to other models. Just a thought.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Hopweaver wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm
Clearly you have never tried to put the Janisong clip on a pair of jeans. It sucks! The clip bend is not wide enough to accommodate jeans. If they fixed it, I agree it would be a fine quality deep carry clip.
It's possible, but unnecessarily tight fit between clip and scale.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.