Manix 2 LW Maxamet opening not very smooth

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Virox96

Manix 2 LW Maxamet opening not very smooth

Post by Virox96 »

Hi everyone. My first time on the forum. Long time Spyderco fan. I have just received my Manix 2 LW in maxamet. Very happy with the knife but it feels like the ball bearing is rubbing on the "tang" and the opening isn't very smooth. It seemed very smooth at first but has changed to like a rubbing/grinding type of feeling. Is this normal, will it wear in? The closing is fine, the spring is hard but not too bad.

Thanks
Wartstein

Re: Manix 2 LW Maxamet opening not very smooth

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum!

I can't really help, not too much experience with the cbbl (though it's my second favorite lock) and no issues

Just wanted to bump your (first) post, I am sure there' ll be people who can weigh in better than me...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

Every M2 Lightweight I've owned was pretty underwhelming out of the box. I feel like once the bearing/tang and blade/pivot interfaces wears in a little and the spring breaks in, the action improves dramatically.

Edit: hold the lock open while you move the blade in/out to make sure it's the bearing/tang that you're feeling and not the blade/pivot. Sometimes its hard to tell what's rubbing weird.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve got two m2 LW,s and both were pretty smooth out of the box and got better with use.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I had one that felt the same way. As it turned out, the pivot was too tight. After an adjustment, the opening/closing is much smoother, and without blade play. That might be the place to start. Oiling all the contact points helps as well. The first time I did that, it felt a little counterintuitive to be oiling the lock(the blade "tang" and ball bearing), but it was still as secure as ever and improved the action. Hopefully you get it sorted out so you can fully enjoy your new knife!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Work it, a little oil, maybe adjust the pivot. My LW was OK out of the box, but has worn in nicely, no adjustments necessary!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Virox96

Post by Virox96 »

Thanks for all the advice. I put some oil on the points of contact between the ball and the tang. It is very smooth now. The actual pivet is fine. It has loosened up nicely now. Really loving this knife now.