Chaparral Sun and Moon suggestion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Chaparral Sun and Moon suggestion

Post by Doc Dan »

I got to thinking about the Sun and Moon Chaparral and did not want to hijack the previous thread.

I think a knife like this, with either ivory polished G10 or black polished G10, with a red Spyder inlay would be just about perfect. I think it would be more popular...I mean, everyone loves the bug. The black G10 could have a mother of pearl or abalone bug, and the ivory could have a red g10 or red coral inlay of the bug.

Just my pea brain thinking out loud.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Re: Chaparral Sun and Moon suggestion

Post by Wartstein »

First: Cool idea, I´d totally like to see such a model!

But I really can´t decide if it would likely be MORE popular than the upcoming sun and moon version. I even don´t know, which version I´d choose first.

Bugs instead of the sun and moon circles would be mostly popular amongst total "Spyder-heads" (can you say that in English??), but maybe not so much amongst knife users, -collectors, - buyers generally?
And even amongst people who love Spyderco, some would maybe feel like "I don´t want to carry a knife that in a way "screams" I am Spyderco-fan" (even if they ARE in fact). Just to illustrate: There are days on which one maybe would like to carry a T-Shirt with Spyderco-logo, but on other days a more "neutral" one.

So why would I myself maybe choose the "sun and moon" version over a fictional "bug"-version?:

It´s because what I like in that upcoming design is exactly the very simple, plain and simplified depiction of the sun and moon theme.
It has something really timeless but also very "ancient" to it, sun and moon were (or are) important in almost any culture all over the world in a metaphysical or religious way at some point. "Sun and moon" affect all life on earth everywhere (or make it possible in the first place), so that theme has some kind of "uniting aspect" to it.

I also think, that a simple "circle" (probably often INDEED meant to depict or be a symbol for sun or moon) was probably one of the first form humans did draw or scribe into some rock face. And the circle by itself does (or did) symbolize many things in different contexts all over the world. So everone could choose what specifically it means for them... ;)

So that´s cool I think, and adds a lot of "depth" to that otherwise beautifully plain design...

/ That being said: A BUG-MOTIVE Chap would be great either, as said... but if it should come in the overall G10 sun and moon design, for me ADITIONALLY and not INSTEAD...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:51 am

But I really can´t decide if it would likely be MORE popular than the upcoming sun and moon version. I even don´t know, which version I´d choose first.

Bugs instead of the sun and moon circles would be mostly popular amongst total "Spyder-heads" (can you say that in English??), but maybe not so much amongst knife users, -collectors, - buyers generally?
And even amongst people who love Spyderco, some would maybe feel like "I don´t want to carry a knife that in a way "screams" I am Spyderco-fan" (even if they ARE in fact). Just to illustrate: There are days on which one maybe would like to carry a T-Shirt with Spyderco-logo, but on other days a more "neutral" one.

So why would I myself maybe choose the "sun and moon" version over a fictional "bug"-version?:

It´s because what I like in that upcoming design is exactly the very simple, plain and simplified depiction of the sun and moon theme.
It has something really timeless but also very "ancient" to it, sun and moon were (or are) important in almost any culture all over the world in a metaphysical or religious way at some point. "Sun and moon" affect all life on earth everywhere (or make it possible in the first place), so that theme has some kind of "uniting aspect" to it.

I also think, that a simple "circle" (probably often INDEED meant to depict or be a symbol for sun or moon) was probably one of the first form humans did draw or scribe into some rock face. And the circle by itself does (or did) symbolize many things in different contexts all over the world. So everone could choose what specifically it means for them... ;)

So that´s cool I think, and adds a lot of "depth" to that otherwise beautifully plain design...

/ That being said: A BUG-MOTIVE Chap would be great either, as said... but if it should come in the overall G10 sun and moon design, for me ADITIONALLY and not INSTEAD...
I completely agree and that was very thoughtfully 'spoken'.
Last edited by jdw on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jdw wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:57 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:51 am

I completely agree and that was very thoughtfully "spoken'.

Thanks a lot, I´m glad you got what I mean. Some thoughts are still a bit hard for me to express in English.

But I really like how that "sun and moon"-theme is somehow simplified to it´s most basic, condensed form in that design. And that being on a KNIFE is just great. I´ll have to have one, that´s for sure... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:03 am
But I really like how that "sun and moon"-theme is somehow simplified to it´s most basic, condensed form in that design. And that being on a KNIFE is just great. I´ll have to have one, that´s for sure... ;)

Add me to the list of those who agree with you on this issue. There's also the chance that, while some would find :spyder: inlays preferable, others would see them as billboard ads and pass on the knife for that reason. The simple truth is that nothing appeals to everyone.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Thanx for the input.

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:24 am
Hi Doc,

Thanx for the input.

sal
Hi Sal,

This was not meant to be a negative criticism in any way. As I said in the other thread, I like the simplicity and clean look. I am just thinking about future iterations.

(still home sick...developed pneumonia while trying to get better from the other stuff...arrggghhh!)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Didn't take it any other way.

Hope you get well soon. Gail and I ended up with pneumonia after the Eugene show.

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 pm
Hi Doc,

Didn't take it any other way.

Hope you get well soon. Gail and I ended up with pneumonia after the Eugene show.

sal
Thank you, I appreciate it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:16 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:03 am

Add me to the list of those who agree with you on this issue. There's also the chance that, while some would find :spyder: inlays preferable, others would see them as billboard ads and pass on the knife for that reason. The simple truth is that nothing appeals to everyone.
Actually the Spykers 'in your face "billboarding" is the main reason i have so far turned down two offers to buy one.. Second reason is i frankly think it's awful, but it is still an interseting collector's item.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I'd prefer the circles, but the logo is an interesting idea
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Spyderco did some good work on the inlays on the One Eyed Jack. I would love to see them continue to develop in this area.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

The more I look at this one the more I kind of want one. I've never owned a "themed" or knife with any designs so this will be out of my norm.

My one main gripe which might prevent me picking one up is I wish the black moon was on the clip side to be more discreet while carrying it. I find black blends better in my darker jeans obviously.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:46 pm

My one main gripe which might prevent me picking one up is I wish the black moon was on the clip side to be more discreet while carrying it....
If I could choose, I'd prefer that too, but it's really not a deal breaker.
Plus the Chap carries quite deep anyway, so not a lot of handle is sticking out of the pocket and so to be seen.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:19 pm
Cscottsss wrote:

My one main gripe which might prevent me picking one up is I wish the black moon was on the clip side to be more discreet while carrying it....
Plus the Chap carries quite deep anyway, so not a lot of handle is sticking out of the pocket and so to be seen.
Good info, thanks. I've never owned or even handled a Chaparral.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 am
I got to thinking about the Sun and Moon Chaparral and did not want to hijack the previous thread.

I think a knife like this, with either ivory polished G10 or black polished G10, with a red Spyder inlay would be just about perfect. I think it would be more popular...I mean, everyone loves the bug. The black G10 could have a mother of pearl or abalone bug, and the ivory could have a red g10 or red coral inlay of the bug.

Wow ... your brain has a mind of his own ...that's awesome ;)

P.S Cool ideea anyway :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Cscottsss wrote:

Then I'd say: Give the Chap lightweight a try, even before the "sun and moon". HXP steel, the most perfect fit and finish I've seen even on a Spyderco, their best executed backlock and that amazingly slicey, but still strong 2mm blade is hard to beat for the money...

/ Concerning carry: Here's a quick pic for you comparing the Chap lw to the Stretch 1... EDIT :Sorry, that the pic is that large.. couldn`t resize on my phone

Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

The recommendation to give the LW Chaparral a try is great with one big exception - good luck finding one in the USA.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:08 am
Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Cscottsss wrote:

Then I'd say: Give the Chap lightweight a try, even before the "sun and moon". HXP steel, the most perfect fit and finish I've seen even on a Spyderco, their best executed backlock and that amazingly slicey, but still strong 2mm blade is hard to beat for the money...

/ Concerning carry: Here's a quick pic for you comparing the Chap lw to the Stretch 1... EDIT :Sorry, that the pic is that large.. couldn`t resize on my phone

Thanks for the pic! Yes, that carries perfectly for my office EDC.

I've been trying to order a LW for a while but nobody can keep them in stock. :(
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:02 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 am

Wow ... your brain has a mind of his own ...that's awesome ;)

P.S Cool ideea anyway :spyder:

Actual image of my brain.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050