If you could only have TWO Spyders...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: If you could only have TWO Spyders...?

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:19 am
Even though I typically EDC smaller blades, I'd probably have to go with my H1 SE Spyderhawk and H1 PE Pacific Salt. I think I could do pretty much any task with those two knives. Plus they are light weight, zero rust, ultra tough, and easy sharpenability.
The day I realized I could carry a PE and SE Pacific Salt and still come in under what my Szabo folder weighs, is one of the last times I carried it :p

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:43 am
Backlock Shaman in 4v
Native Chief with liners in k390

I'll see myself out.
I think thats an awesome choice
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:11 am
Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:53 am
I think I'd go with my Stretch in peelply cf and zdp189, and something significantly smaller and lighter like a FRN Dragonfly.
The CF/ZDP Stretch is one of the nicest production knives I've used. Nice pick.
So why don't you use it anymore...? ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:44 am
Vivi wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:
I think I'd go with my Stretch in peelply cf and zdp189, and something significantly smaller and lighter like a FRN Dragonfly.
Because I like the size of the Police and practical nature of Pacific Salts more than the niceness of that knife. That and I sold it maybe 8 years ago? Wasn't a knife I saw myself carrying to work or clipping to my shorts on a run, just seemed too nice.

I don't like holding on to knives that aren't seeing much use, and could go for another collection purge this summer in fact.

All that said, I've handled a lot of high end CF Spydercos, and something about that Stretch left a strong impression. It felt a lot nicer than my CF Millies, my Phoenix, etc.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:44 am
Vivi wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:
Because I like the size of the Police and practical nature of Pacific Salts more than the niceness of that knife. That and I sold it maybe 8 years ago? Wasn't a knife I saw myself carrying to work or clipping to my shorts on a run, just seemed too nice.

I don't like holding on to knives that aren't seeing much use, and could go for another collection purge this summer in fact.
I totally get that, other than my Stretch 1 backup and my wooden handled Milli (which I'll sell anyway to get the money for the Chief) all my knives see a lot of use and I want it that way.

While I love the Stretch 1 and for me it's on "the lower end of perfect size", I never really liked CF. FRN is perfect, if I wanted something more "exklusive" I'd always go for nice Micarta.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

steelcity16 wrote:
Even though I typically EDC smaller blades, I'd probably have to go with my H1 SE Spyderhawk and H1 PE Pacific Salt. I think I could do pretty much any task with those two knives. Plus they are light weight, zero rust, ultra tough, and easy sharpenability.
Steelcity16, I agree with you on the H1 SE Spyderhawk but as far as the PE goes do you have or tried the PE Caribbean? My first introduction in the salt series was the PE H1 Pac Salt. While it's still a great knife, I would hands down chose the PE Caribbean over the PE Pac Salt. With the Spyderhawk and Caribbean I would be set in any environment granted that we could also bring the Sharpmaker.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SaltSerious wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Steelcity16, I agree with you on the H1 SE Spyderhawk but as far as the PE goes do you have or tried the PE Caribbean? My first introduction in the salt series was the PE H1 Pac Salt. While it's still a great knife, I would hands down chose the PE Caribbean over the PE Pac Salt. With the Spyderhawk and Caribbean I would be set in any environment granted that we could also bring the Sharpmaker.

I haven't tried a Caribbean for two reasons. Mainly because I prefer lightweights these days, but also because the scales are a not appealing to me. Plain old neon yellow peel ply G10 sans grooves and I would have at least bought one to try out.

If they ever do a Carribean LW I will be all over it. And if the FFG PE LC200N Pacific Salt ever becomes a reality, that would likely take the place of the H1 PE Pacific Salt in my two-knife only scenario.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:22 am
I am not claiming to be a victim whatsoever. I just kindly asked for you to let it go. I must have really upset you. Again, I apologize. But seriously, let it go.
"You laughed at something I said, I must have really upset you" sure thing lone wolf :p

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:01 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:22 am
I am not claiming to be a victim whatsoever. I just kindly asked for you to let it go. I must have really upset you. Again, I apologize. But seriously, let it go.
"You laughed at something I said, I must have really upset you" sure thing lone wolf :p
What is your problem? You're the one trying to antagonize me nonstop. That CAN'T be because I made you happy.

This site really seems ridiculous at this point. I've been trying to stay on topic, yet you and "does whatever" are attempting to instigate e-arguments with me for your own entertainment. Tell you what. Just keep doing what you're doing. I don't care.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Bit of a bias here, but I make no apology... :)

Serrata, and a Military, any one at all...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Very good and sensible choice imho.

Can't go wrong with a Stretch (even as a "one and only folder") though ZDP (other than HAP40) is TOO hard for my limited sharpening skills...

And the DF I'd upgrade (in size at least) slightly to a Chap... ;)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Tempting as it is to choose a larger blade like the K390 Police or my Lefty Millie as one of the options, I think I’d have to go with a pair that have maximum versatility in terms of being able to use them in the most settings.

Even in work environments like warehouses, you can get a lot of work done with a super sharp small knife, and I prefer them for social environments.

Then one of the 3.5”ish blades for any heavier work.

It’s tough to choose from all the great contenders, but at the moment I’d probably go with the K390 Urban and the Gayle Bradley 1.

The Urban is low-key, minimalist design perfection, coupled with outstanding cutting performance.

(This one is a newish replacement I got for my first well used one that I lost at work.)

The GB1 is a stout workhorse for pretty much everything else a knife needs to do - a comfortable, durable tool that is a pleasure to use and sharpen.

Another pair of knives that would be close contenders would be the ZDP-189 Dragonfly and the Cruwear PM2:

The Urban and GB1 pipped them at the post because if I really was limited to two Spydies, I’d want blades with a long sharpening life. If you look at both the GB1 with its hollow grind, and the Urban with its flat ground 3mm stock, down to 0.015” BTE - they would both still be quite thin behind the edge, even with say, half an inch of steel sharpened away over time.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Mr Blonde wrote:
I remember when KSF had the CF Stretch's, agree a great knife. For a long time the Sprig and Caly 3.5 would have been my choices. The Waterway has dethroned the Sprig (both are great), but the 3.5 remains a favorite.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

This was easy. I could probably sell all of my Spydies except these two and not look back. I won't, but I could. These two see the most pocket time (nearly 100%). I'm trying to remember the last time I carried a knife that was not one of these and I can't remember the date, but I know it was around Christmas.

1. Military Ti/CF S90V
2. Manix 2
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hopweaver wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:41 am
This was easy. I could probably sell all of my Spydies except these two and not look back. I won't, but I could. These two see the most pocket time (nearly 100%). I'm trying to remember the last time I carried a knife that was not one of these and I can't remember the date, but I know it was around Christmas.

1. Military Ti/CF S90V
2. Manix 2
For me it was the same with Stretch 1 and Endura... never thought that I'd even go below their general size-range.. But then I discovered the Chap lw, it's just so good that it gets its pocket time, despite being small...
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Endela and a Mule.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:22 am
Endela and a Mule.

You already have an Endela? Would you like to post some first impressions in the "Endela-thread"...? I'm courious... ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83925&start=80
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

On it's way,and i can't wait for it :)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 am
On it's way,and i can't wait for it :)
Same here, serrated version!! ;)
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

Native Maxamet and Millie