If you could only have TWO Spyders...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: If you could only have TWO Spyders...?

Post by wrdwrght »

In this mental exercise (because I’d not really limit myself to two), my goal would be to maximize my environmental and jurisdictional reach.

Accordingly, I’d take a Caribbean (which I consider one of Sal’s masterpieces; mine is a PE leaf) and a Lil Native slipjoint (not yet available, but I base this choice on my newly-arrived backlock, which I consider one of Eric’s masterpieces).

The Caribbean will take me to, well, the Caribbean, or the Gulf of Maine, or my rain-soaked backyard with little worry about performance-degrading corrosion, and with a proven expectation of fantastic sharpening response.

The Lil Native slipjoint will take me to most European destinations, as well as to Boston, NYC, and other hysterical American cities.

Funny how this and similar exercises makes me prize the Spydies I haven’t chosen that much more...
-Marc (pocketing a Maxamet Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:35 am
one would be the native but I'll be darned if I can figure out what the other should be...
Hmmmm... You have an orange Endura, don't you? :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

That's a hard one.

Para3 M390 - favorite Spyderco with austrian steel

Dfly Salt handle with VG10 blade - yellow handle, lightweight for summer carry, small but extremely usable
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:56 am
That's a hard one.

Para3 M390 - favorite Spyderco with austrian steel

Dfly Salt handle with VG10 blade - yellow handle, lightweight for summer carry, small but extremely usable
YEAH!! :D
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

My god man! What could cause such a distopian future? Sinister government plot? Harsh financial hardship? Marriage? That thought is too much to bear!
I want no part of such a future.
I will continue to own a para 3 and a caly3.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Sage 2, but I'm not sure about the other one. I know I want a larger blade though.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

P4 K390
Pacific Salt SE
Justin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

crazywednesday wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:48 am
P4 K390
Pacific Salt SE
Big-knife-guy! :)

I am more of one too actually, before I had the Chap LW my only-two-knives-choice would always have been Endura 4 and Stretch 1.

But the Chap is just too good, so I'd end up with only ONE bigger knife in the given scenario...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Shaman and LC200N Native (I'd cheat and have my hawkbill dragonfly too :D )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am
Shaman and LC200N Native (I'd cheat and have my hawkbill dragonfly too :D )

Ok, just hide it in the coin-pocket and we'll make an exception for you.. ;)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Random answer for today... PM2, DF2
PStone

Post by PStone »

Of the ones I own currently, Native and Bushcraft. But I would ideally put the Proficient in place of the Bushcraft. I just don’t have one yet. Yet...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:12 am
Of the ones I own currently, Native and Bushcraft. But I would ideally put the Proficient in place of the Bushcraft. I just don’t have one yet. Yet...
That's actually a quite practical choice. As long as you can also carry the fixed blade in your day to day life whenever you want to.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:18 am
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:12 am
That's actually a quite practical choice. As long as you can also carry the fixed blade in your day to day life whenever you want to.
I am lucky enough to live in a part of my state that has no length limit or restrictions. So yes, it would be possible. But that is the Natives role. I would need a fixed blade for camping, hunting, and basically all my outdoorsy and harder use activities.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if i had to only have two, it would be my manix lw in xhp and my pacific salt. if i could only have one, it would be my native salt to cover all bases. if i could dream a little, it would be a manix salt and a caribbean 2 (with a redesigned handle without a pinky hook) in sheepsfoot se.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

As a law abiding city dwelling, office worker and weekend warrior, pretty much the two that I've been carrying the most lately:

1. Urban environment: Ikuchi
2. The great outdoors: PM2 in M390 (would love to try Cruwear) + Aramis custom CF scales (a must).
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I really don't like the idea of being limited to just two Spydies. Tough decision but probably a Manix 2 or Shaman in M390/20CV/204P/M4/CruWear and something salty like the Pacific Salt SE or Tasman Salt SE. Ideally, I would want a third option like the Chaparral, Dragonfly 2, or even a Manbug.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would say a Military and a fixed blade like the Province.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:55 pm
I would say a Military and a fixed blade like the Province.
You DO like longer blades... ;)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

If I could only have two then it is an easy decision.

#1. Spyderco Native Chief

#2. Spyderco Stretch 1

We have worn this forum out over the Merits of the Stretch so I will not elaborate.

The Native Chief however is indeed something very special it ticks of many points and satisfies many roles.

The native chief hits the following points with me.

#1. Handle is the perfect size not to large not to small blade to handle ratio is superb.

#2. Handle has a built in choil very much like the Stretch the shape has allot to do with accessing the spydie hole as well.

#3. Blade has a 50 / 50 choil.

#4. Beyond the Choil there is still plenty of blade to work with and will keep your hands out fo the cut material.

#3. The blade has enough length to be used with food without getting the pivot messy. Just opened a Mango for a friend plenty of blade to work with.

#4. This is a stabby blade great for opening packages and using only the very tip avoiding tape gunk as much as possible.

#5. The blade on this knife is superr sharp and I guess ground thin behind the blade adding to it's laser like cutting ability.

#6. However they managed it the S30V is easy to touch up on this blade and very welcome.

#7 The back-lock is superbly tuned not too much and not too little tension you can put this in your pocket without clipping it and have no worries over a larger blade opening and stabbing you.

#8. The pivot is very smooth.

#9. THe weight is very light I handed it to my boss and the first thing he said was wow that is so light! and it carries very well in the pocket not a pocket hog whatsoever at all. DOnt even know it is there as I am sitting typing this Woah just did a double check yep it is there alright. :)

#10. Linerless construction means less chance of unsee corrosion taking place and does nothing to deprecate the knife.

I was just cutting up some paper this morning using my Manix 2 XL DLC which Vivi's videos got me to buy and I have to say I like the XL much better than the regular old Manix 2.

The Manix XL gives a great feeling in the hand in use and so does the Native Chief.

I can see myself easily purchasing a SE version of this knife and a PS. My dream is for the Native Chief to arrive in Cruwear I will buy without hesitation.