Looking for impressions on the Spyderco Salt or Salt2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Looking for impressions on the Spyderco Salt or Salt2

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hey guys I am looking at buying a Spyderco Salt 2 since the Salts are gone.

Looking at SE Blade with Black coating used to own a Pacific Salt SE I intend to replace after gifting it.

How do they compare I know it is shorter than the Pacific Salt and looks like it has more of a belly to it which I like.

Thanks.
Danvp

Re: Looking for impressions on the Spyderco Salt or Salt2

Post by Danvp »

Lengthwise you can compare the salt 2 with a delica (in my opinion it is a salt delica) and the Pacific salt with the Endura. If you handled those two knives you know the difference. I know they are not exactly the same, still it will give you a good example.
I tend to find more uses for the bigger of the two. The salt 2 is a bit to small for cutting bread for instance. I know it all depends on your own uses and tastes. Anyway, can't go wrong with both of them.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Salt 2 is a linerless delica 4, slightly thicker frn handle, ti pocket clip, and the H1 blade. I’m quite happy with mine in SE/satin/yellow. I think I’d prefer the endela as a Salt, same SE/satin/yellow. But I don’t have an endura nor have I held one. They seem huge. My pm2 seems big. I often find I really like full grip handles and shorter blades, which is partly why I love the para3.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not the black coated model, but like the others said...it's basically a linerless, corrosion resistant, SE Delica. Virtually the same knife. If you like the size of a Delica, you'll have no problem loving this knife. It's pretty tough as well. In this photo, I made about 3 pull cuts and sliced through this branch like it was nothing. One of my favorite outdoor use only knives! Mine is all sorts of scratched up...as H1 scratches EXTREMELY easily. I'm not sure how they hold up with the coating...It's not DLC is it?

Resized_20180819_142216.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I EDC a SE Salt 2... I like it a lot. Well, I like it so much that I want the all black PE version as well.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks the comparison to the Endura and the Delica makes allot of sense.

Yeah H1 scratches if you look at it wrong but I don't mind it, The Black coating is a Titanium Nitrite my boss had it on one of his old automatic Spyderco's Citadel I believe it is called that is a very tough coating, very tough. NOT DLC thicker and different and strong.

Well this would make my first Delica :) and I do enjoy H1 Steel but will not consider a PE due to lack of edge retention.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a great knife. I gave one to my best friend and he uses the heck out of it. The DLC is holding up good despite him cutting up a pop can just because it was sharp enough to do it. I was impressed by the handle molds, they're beefy for being linerless. I really think we're getting to a point where steel liners aren't necessary in a folder anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm
It's a great knife. I gave one to my best friend and he uses the heck out of it. The DLC is holding up good despite him cutting up a pop can just because it was sharp enough to do it. I was impressed by the handle molds, they're beefy for being linerless. I really think we're getting to a point where steel liners aren't necessary in a folder anymore.
You might be right when it comes to Spyderco but I kid you not Benchmade is trying the same thing and failing miserably!!!! A coworker showed me his new Liner-less Benchmade Bugout and it is pure crap by comparison. Spyderco really is so much better.

I looked at this thing in horror it looks and feels cheap in the hand whatever that material they are using in the handle it is, it is thin and cheap you can squeeze both sides together. He even commented the blade looks cheap. The good news he is able to return it, and is.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 pm
Evil D wrote:
You might be right when it comes to Spyderco but I kid you not Benchmade is trying the same thing and failing miserably!!!! A coworker showed me his new Liner-less Benchmade Bugout and it is pure crap by comparison. Spyderco really is so much better.

I looked at this thing in horror it looks and feels cheap in the hand whatever that material they are using in the handle it is, it is thin and cheap you can squeeze both sides together. He even commented the blade looks cheap. The good news he is able to return it, and is.

It makes sense on longer models where you can get more mechanical leverage but on something as small as a Native or Salt 2 you have to do something stupid for liners to really matter. The molds Spyderco are making are far more than just slabs of plastic, there's a lot of webbing and male/female points inside where the scales mate up to each other and lock together. I still would be ok with minimal liners just around the pivot and stop pins but so far my buddy is not gentle with his Salt 2 and it's holding up great.
~David
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

The coating on the Salt 2 is good. In normal use it holds up just nicely. I scratched mine when cutting a dirty carpet with sand in it. Did i say cut? I mean abuse...
Will post a picture of it tomorrow.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I think Vivi’s use of the pac salt has dispelled any notion these linerless salts can’t hold up!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I like mine. I have a plain edge salt 2, and am very happy with it. People say the h1 plain edge doesn't hold an edge well but mine is nice and sharp. It is basically a lighter more corrosion resistant Delica. I haven't weighed it but it feels a lot lighter in hand. I'm also a big fan of the blade shape.
lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 pm
Evil D wrote:

The benchmade is less rigid, I've handled the bugout. But I'm not really a benchmade fan anyway lol.
(to be fair in terms of construction most benchmades are well made)
However Spyderco does indeed seemto have the EDGE (pun intended) in linerless construction!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

maybe these folders don't need liners, but even my dragonfly feels less sturdy than i'd like because it doesn't have liners. i've never done anything with it where i felt liners were necessary (the same goes for my pac salt), but that doesn't mean that i wouldn't appreciate having liners and a more solid feel to the knives.

that said, the salt is a great knife. i prefer the length of the pacific salt for my purposes, but there's nothing wrong with the salt. i went with a native salt instead for that size range though because i wanted to try lc200n. i haven't been disappointed.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I owned a Spyderco Pacific Salt PE satin finish and really enjoyed it. I had it about a year before I lost it and I’m seriously considering buying another. A little blade heavy but I didn’t mind. Super tuff, no blade play. You just have to sharpen them more often.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
vivi

Post by vivi »

I tried them and found them too small for my hand, and the design of the ergonomics placed my thumb in an incredibly uncomfortable position. Pacific Salts work much better for me, even though I liked the idea of a lighter, more compact version of the knife for days I don't expect to cut much.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think a fully lined knife with G10 scales feels great. But those liners increase the weight, add cost, decrease corrosion resistance in essentially every case, and rarely provide any benefit.

What does extra handle strength really get you, when you've never broken an unlined knife handle? Would you wear shoes that weighed an extra half pound each but had stronger sides if you've never ripped through the side of your shoe?
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm
Not the black coated model, but like the others said...it's basically a linerless, corrosion resistant, SE Delica. Virtually the same knife. If you like the size of a Delica, you'll have no problem loving this knife. It's pretty tough as well. In this photo, I made about 3 pull cuts and sliced through this branch like it was nothing. One of my favorite outdoor use only knives! Mine is all sorts of scratched up...as H1 scratches EXTREMELY easily. I'm not sure how they hold up with the coating...It's not DLC is it?

Resized_20180819_142216.jpeg
TiNi coating. Slicker and thinner feeling than DLC. Holds up pretty good, but on my Pacific Salt some rubs off when I open and close it. Keep in mind this is what it looks like after years of constant carry:

lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks a lot now I am wanting a serrated blade...
vivi

Post by vivi »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:40 pm
Thanks a lot now I am wanting a serrated blade...
I have a lot of knives that cost more than my SE Pacific Salt, but none that I carry more often. Most my other knives would impress someone a lot more if they held them, but they don't perform as well.

I used to hate serrations and even ground them off knives before, converting them to PE. I gave them a second shot with the Pacific Salt above, and I'm glad I did.

The trick is to learn how to sharpen them. If you don't, you won't like them. If you do, you may end up carrying them more often than not.

I never thought SE edges could whittle hotdog roasting sticks, peel apples, push cut envelopes open etc., but a properly sharp one does all those things with ease.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only issue with carving with SE is that I'm right handed and it would be easier for a righty if the serrations were ground on the other side so the flat side of the blade is flat on what you're carving. I plan on having a knife sent out to get teeth ground in it and I may have them do it on the back of the blade to see how this works.
~David