Civilian vs Matriarch 2 Wave

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which is the better defensive knife?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:36 am

Civilian (with zip tie “wave” mod)
13%
Matriarch 2 Wave
88%

Total votes: 8

panflap

Re: Civilian vs Matriarch 2 Wave

Post by panflap »

I've been carrying the Matriarch 2 Wave for a year and it has been the perfect concealed carry weapon. You barely notice it's in your pocket and the handle and blade show virtually no signs of depreciation. I feel completely safe trusting my life to this weapon. I will probably acquire the Civilian in the future (out of curiosity and collector's interest) but I am perfectly happy to use the Matriarch forever.

One comment I would like to add: although the Emerson wave works well, I prefer not to use it. To deploy it, you have to grasp the knife with your pointer finger while applying pressure to the sides with your thumb and ring finger, which is a bit awkward as far as having good control of the knife is concerned. When you deploy the knife, you wind up grasping the handle at the base so you are forced to readjust your grip before striking. I also can't help but worry a bit about accidentally cutting myself during the deployment. If I'm wary of a potential self defense scenario, I prefer to grasp the knife in my pocket with my entire hand. Then I can just remove the knife and flick it open with my thumb using the Spyderco hole. It can be extremely quick and there's no concern about an awkward grip, cutting myself, etc. Just my two cents for anyone who thinks the Emerson wave is a must.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear panflap:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

panflap wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:09 pm
I've been carrying the Matriarch 2 Wave for a year and it has been the perfect concealed carry weapon. You barely notice it's in your pocket and the handle and blade show virtually no signs of depreciation. I feel completely safe trusting my life to this weapon. I will probably acquire the Civilian in the future (out of curiosity and collector's interest) but I am perfectly happy to use the Matriarch forever.

One comment I would like to add: although the Emerson wave works well, I prefer not to use it. To deploy it, you have to grasp the knife with your pointer finger while applying pressure to the sides with your thumb and ring finger, which is a bit awkward as far as having good control of the knife is concerned. When you deploy the knife, you wind up grasping the handle at the base so you are forced to readjust your grip before striking. I also can't help but worry a bit about accidentally cutting myself during the deployment. If I'm wary of a potential self defense scenario, I prefer to grasp the knife in my pocket with my entire hand. Then I can just remove the knife and flick it open with my thumb using the Spyderco hole. It can be extremely quick and there's no concern about an awkward grip, cutting myself, etc. Just my two cents for anyone who thinks the Emerson wave is a must.
Hey Panflap,

Welcome to the forum!

I carried a Matriarch 2 with the Emerson wave for about a year.

When I carried it regularly, I carried it in my front left pocket, setup for a reverse grip draw. This way it wasn't in my EDC knife position, and it was easy to turn my off-hand into a scary sharp talon, even if I was on my back or grappling with someone. It was also concealed most of the time, depending on the shirt I was wearing. I had no qualms about cutting myself on accident, and drilled the draw at least a few times every day. Unfortunately, I lost the Matriarch in a move, and never bothered replacing it.

I would caution anyone who's thinking of "trusting their life" to a pocket knife. Knives should be a last resort self-defense tool, when all other options have been exhausted. Knife fights aren't fun, and you will get hurt.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I have a Matriarch 2 that I some times carry, and a few other waved knives and yet to see them cross. I like the idea of deploy out of pocket, but most of the time if I'm grabbing a knife I usually don't want it open out of my pocket. I could see myself only pulling a knife after physical contact. This being a last ditch effort, I definitely don't want the hook preventing draw if I'm in an off position.

Total fan of the knife, its just not enough of a daily tool for me personally, definitely a conversation piece if someone sees me use it at the office to open mail.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the only problem with the matriarch 2 is that it's not made with h1. the matriarch is made in seki. h1 is in seki. pacific salt 2 handles are in seki. ticn is in seki. literally everything is in place to make this happen.

the matriarch and civilian are not suggested for edc due to their tips. h1 is renowned for its toughness and elastic properties. the matriarch is a self defense knife. self defense knives need to be at the ready at all times and consistently placed. this means that it would be beneficial to have the most maintenance-free steel possible so it could be carried inside the waistband (the only place everyone can consistently carry, regardless of attire).

it just makes sense to make the matriarch 2 as an h1 salt knife. please, sal? i've been asking for years now, but i'm trying not to be obnoxious about it.

;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've started to lean away from SD knives that can't stab or have weak tips. It's not that edge centric knives can't be effective, but you're limiting your options vs a knife that can wear both hats. That said the Matriarch 2 is a very nice knife (I've bought one), and priced reasonably compared to a lot of SD knives. I'm a big fan of the Emerson wave, fastest way to go from pocket to open knife I've used, even vs an automatic.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
max808

Post by max808 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:05 pm
it just makes sense to make the matriarch 2 as an h1 salt knife. please, sal? i've been asking for years now, but i'm trying not to be obnoxious about it.

;)
+1

Pretty please with sugar on top? :smiling-halo

And let's not forget about big brother & lil sis...
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
jdw

Post by jdw »

Neither. If you can't talk your way out of it, or if you can't run, then you are far better off grabbing the nearest large blunt object and start swinging. If the only threat is losing a wallet or such, then throw it as far as you can and run.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Monty

Post by Monty »

Interesting seeing these threads always devolve into spreading the same internet wisdoms. I have an acquaintance who killed someone with a knife in a self defense situation. Running shoes wouldn't have solved the problem. He didn't end up in the hospital, he wasn't cut by his own knife. His gun was no longer on his person, so that was out. Flashing a knife to scare the attacker would have been comical.
max808

Post by max808 »

Monty wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:16 pm
Interesting seeing these threads always devolve into spreading the same internet wisdoms. I have an acquaintance who killed someone with a knife in a self defense situation. Running shoes wouldn't have solved the problem. He didn't end up in the hospital, he wasn't cut by his own knife. His gun was no longer on his person, so that was out. Flashing a knife to scare the attacker would have been comical.
Sorry for your acquaintance, I hope he's handling it well. Would you mind sharing which knife he used in that encounter?
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard