Stretch 2 SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Stretch 2 SE

Post by Tims »

Are these still being produced?

This is a model I’ve never really considered because I’m not fond of the blade shape. Folks rave about it though and ergos look great so thought I’d give it a shot in SE or zdp. None of my usual retailers seem to have any SE in stock though.
Wartstein

Re: Stretch 2 SE

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 pm
Are these still being produced?

This is a model I’ve never really considered because I’m not fond of the blade shape. Folks rave about it though and ergos look great so thought I’d give it a shot in SE or zdp. None of my usual retailers seem to have any SE in stock though.
Give it a try, blade shape may look a bit odd at first, but works great in a wide variety of tasks.

Ergos of the Stretch 2 are amazing, both behind the choil and choked up, even better than on my otherwise preferred Stretch 1, and especially for larger hands! Just keep in mind: Held behind the choil your hand is quite far away from the edge (which is no real drawback, cause using the choil is as comfortable as holding the knife behind it).

I never came across a serrated version tbh.

The ZDP Stretch 2 you can maybe find in the brown G10 version. But I figure that one is not as comfortable as the FRN model, for the handle is not contoured. Besides it's heavier and more expensive. One Plus of that version: The blade is a bit longer than on the FRN model.

You still can find (on bentoboxshop for example) the V Toku version. Also the Stretch ONE (so not TWO) in HAP40, maybe my favorite folder of all times.
Just be aware: If you get the Stretch primarily for the ergos, the Two is even more comfortable than the One imho.
Overall I personally prefer the One (better edge to handle ratio, hand closer to the edge in a regular grip, smaller package in the pocket).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't think a serrated Stretch 2 was ever offered. Don't see it in any of the catalogs. If it had been, it would have been the FRN VG-10 version, since Spyderco stopped using ZDP-189 for serrated knives over a decade ago. OTOH, both the green FRN and brown G-10 ZDP-189 versions, in PE, should be widely available.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tims

Post by Tims »

Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer, I was tossing up between zdp-189 PE and vg10 SE.
Vtoku2’s are not much dearer than vg10 so I might give that a crack too.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:07 am
Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer, I was tossing up between zdp-189 PE and vg10 SE.
Vtoku2’s are not much dearer than vg10 so I might give that a crack too.
You probably know that anyway, but there's no SE V Toku Stretch as far as I'm aware of..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As far as I know the last SE Stretch version offered is now discontinued, which is a real shame because it's one of the best SE options available.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The SE Stretch1 was discontinued due to low sales so there probably won’t be a SE Stretch2.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Wasn't the stretch designed with skinning deer in mind? Not sure how well serrations would work for that purpose
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Marulaghost wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 am
Wasn't the stretch designed with skinning deer in mind? Not sure how well serrations would work for that purpose
Many, and especially "the Deacon" will know more about this, but I think that there was a Stretch-like model called "Hunter" first, out of which Sal developed the first Stretch as an EDC knife meeting his personal preferences (but still a good hunting folder certainly).

At least that's about what I have read (long time AFTER I got my first Stretch. Didn't know anything about this model back then, and was not expecting much, but was blown away when I actually USED the knife...)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Looked wide and far for a Stretch 2 SE. Wound up getting a Stretch1 SE and have remained impressed with it.

That being said you can always buy what you want and this fellow will put a Spydie edge on it for you.

https://www.razoredgeknives.com/services-fees/dlc

I have seen his work shown here and it is impressive.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 am
As far as I know the last SE Stretch version offered is now discontinued, which is a real shame because it's one of the best SE options available.
Yes, long discontinued. I’ve got one and... I dunno, doesn’t stay in my pocket long. I know FFG SE is supposed to be amazing, but I think my lil matriarch is a better SE blade.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Oh well, that makes the decision to get PE easier. If the Caly 3.5 lightweight were closer on the horizon I mightn’t even be considering the stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:28 am
Oh well, that makes the decision to get PE easier. If the Caly 3.5 lightweight were closer on the horizon I mightn’t even be considering the stretch.
Caly 3.5 lw is a knife I am really looking forward to.

Still, the Stretch is just sooo "genuine-Spyderco-form-follows-function" that I think everyone should try one at one point of collecting / using Spyderco.. ;)