Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Post by Cambertree »

Ok, so after trying unsuccessfully to acquire a few of the previous REX45 models, my friend Enactive kindly snagged a REX Chief for me and shipped it over the Pacific to Australia.

Thanks heaps for that mate, I’m really liking this knife and steel! :) :cool:

First impressions:

Initially, I wasn’t that interested in the whole Native family, as I have a few Seki knives in HAP40 which suit my needs just fine.

It was really the steel which tempted me to try the Chief.

The build quality is excellent. Enactive graciously sent me the knife with the tighter lockup out of the two REX45 models he acquired from different sources. There’s barely any perceptible up and down movement in the locked blade - it feels almost as rock solid as my Chinook 4 with the Powerlock.

It’s the tightest Spyderco backlock I have, although the G10 and Pakkawood Dragonflys and HAP40 Stretch come close in that regard.

The opening and closing action is smooth and authoritative. The opening feels a bit different to the knives I’m used to which have ‘Spydie humps’- like the pivoting action of the thumb describes a bit tighter of an arc. I don’t personally have any issue with the knives which have thumbramps and raised Spydieholes, but I am looking forward to exploring the uses of a blade which is less wide and more nimble in turning cuts, like a paring knife or petty knife.

I’m currently either closing it with two hands, or depressing the lockbar with one hand and brushing the blade closed against my leg.

Designwise, it feels as sleek and elegant as I thought it would be. Like the Military and the Police 4, this knife packs a good amount of blade into a very unobtrusive knife to carry in the pocket.

The edge seemed quite well rendered. The battery on my digital calipers was flat so I couldn’t take a behind the edge reading, but the edge angle measured 17.5 degrees per side on my goniometer. I used it for a couple of days at work, and was pleased with the edge, before thinning it out on the Atoma benchstones.

The knife is comfortable in different grips, although the lack of chamferimg on the edges of the G10 scales seems like a strange omission, considering other Golden knives like my Lefty Millie and Maxamet Para 3 have very comfortable chamfered edges.

The pocket clip was on the wrong side too ;) :p , so I swapped it out with a Lynch clip for lefty carry. :D

Overall, I’m excited by this knife and look forward to using it at work and for general knife duties, as well as some kitchen work.

The mods I’ll perform will be to smooth over the edges of the G10 scales, sand underneath the clip pinch point so it is less of a pocket chewer and thin out the edge, of course.

Here’s some comparison pics and one of the early results of playing with it for food prep:
806AAAC3-62FF-4877-A59B-1C00CA7E246F.jpeg
69856FEC-E76C-47F9-BABD-AD104C0F449D.jpeg
Millie and Chief

C273D02F-7326-4D82-BA94-29F23C2634C7.jpeg
HAP40 Endura and Chief

B3B624D8-9CB6-49B0-8379-F987B374BFAA.jpeg
Police 4 and Chief

CA4071AD-B9BF-4EC5-8749-22274B2DA0DD.jpeg
Emphasis and Chief
Last edited by Cambertree on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Away from home without the Chief, but here is a number I did on my PM2 scales a while back. The others I took down were not as dramatic, but still noticeable in hand.

Peter
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 am
Either of you have pictures? I may try sanding mine later tonight.
Here you go Vivi :) :
B2BDDA79-334C-4C76-82CA-21B7C29DCFF4.jpeg
More later... ;)
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’m very happy with the design of the native chief. It great in the hand and is slim in the pocket. I’m also happy to have been able to get it in Rex45.Image
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

So glad i could get one of these REX 45 Chiefs for you! And glad that you have had a chance to put it to use and tune it up to your liking. Really happy you're enjoying it. I'm sure you'll put one of your screaming sharp edges on it soon enough. :D :cool:

It was also nice that we didn't have any of the shipping shenanigans that we've had with some of our other exchanges. Just a quick delivery this time. :rolleyes: :eek: :p :cool:

Based on my pair of Chiefs, i think you'll get a lot of satisfaction from yours. I have found REX45 to be an excellent steel. I know you are fond of K390, which i only have in the Delica and still haven't used that as much as my 3 REX 45 models.

It's cool that you and Vivi measured the bevel angles as so acute! I have noticed that both my original S30V and my REX 45 models both have excellent geometry. The distal taper is spectacular too.

PS the food looks fantastic as usual!
Cambertree wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 am
Ok, so after trying unsuccessfully to acquire a few of the previous REX45 models, my friend Enactive kindly snagged a REX Chief for me and shipped it over the Pacific to Australia.

Thanks heaps for that mate, I’m really liking this knife and steel! :) :cool:

First impressions:

Initially, I wasn’t that interested in the whole Native family, as I have a few Seki knives in HAP40 which suit my needs just fine.

It was really the steel which tempted me to try the Chief.

The build quality is excellent. Enactive graciously sent me the knife with the tighter lockup out of the two REX45 models he acquired from different sources. There’s barely any perceptible up and down movement in the locked blade - it feels almost as rock solid as my Chinook 4 with the Powerlock.

It’s the tightest Spyderco backlock I have, although the G10 and Pakkawood Dragonflys and HAP40 Stretch come close in that regard.

The opening and closing action is smooth and authoritative. The opening feels a bit different to the knives I’m used to which have ‘Spydie humps’- like the pivoting action of the thumb describes a bit tighter of an arc. I don’t personally have any issue with the knives which have thumbramps and raised Spydieholes, but I am looking forward to exploring the uses of a blade which is less wide and more nimble in turning cuts, like a paring knife or petty knife.

I’m currently either closing it with two hands, or depressing the lockbar with one hand and brushing the blade closed against my leg.

Designwise, it feels as sleek and elegant as I thought it would be. Like the Military and the Police 4, this knife packs a good amount of blade into a very unobtrusive knife to carry in the pocket.

The edge seemed quite well rendered. The battery on my digital calipers was flat so I couldn’t take a behind the edge reading, but the edge angle measured 17.5 degrees per side on my goniometer. I used it for a couple of days at work, and was pleased with the edge, before thinning it out on the Atoma benchstones.

The knife is comfortable in different grips, although the lack of chamferimg on the edges of the G10 scales seems like a strange omission, considering other Golden knives like my Lefty Millie and Maxamet Para 3 have very comfortable chamfered edges.

The pocket clip was on the wrong side too ;) :p , so I swapped it out with a Lynch clip for lefty carry. :D

Overall, I’m excited by this knife and look forward to using it at work and for general knife duties, as well as some kitchen work.

The mods I’ll perform will be to smooth over the edges of the G10 scales, sand underneath the clip pinch point so it is less of a pocket chewer and thin out the edge, of course.

Here’s some comparison pics and one of the early results of playing with it for food prep:

806AAAC3-62FF-4877-A59B-1C00CA7E246F.jpeg

69856FEC-E76C-47F9-BABD-AD104C0F449D.jpeg
Millie and Chief

C273D02F-7326-4D82-BA94-29F23C2634C7.jpeg
HAP40 Endura and Chief

B3B624D8-9CB6-49B0-8379-F987B374BFAA.jpeg
Police 4 and Chief

CA4071AD-B9BF-4EC5-8749-22274B2DA0DD.jpeg
Emphasis and Chief

Nice work on easing those edges! That looks great.
Cambertree wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:23 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 am
Either of you have pictures? I may try sanding mine later tonight.
Here you go Vivi :) :

B2BDDA79-334C-4C76-82CA-21B7C29DCFF4.jpeg

More later... ;)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:48 pm
Nice one! What are the trees leafing out early in your neck of the woods? Can't quite make it out in the photo.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

This is an awesome knife, if you think its to big,, get one. Slim in pocket, spydie flicks easy,,, I like it more than I thought I would
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 pm
This is an awesome knife, if you think its to big,, get one. Slim in pocket, spydie flicks easy,,, I like it more than I thought I would
Ooh that's cool that yours will spydie flick! Mine seems way too stiff to do that so far but I haven't messed with the pivot or anything. Did you have to loosen yours up?
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

No, just opened/closed a lot, after a week or so added a drop of mineral oil. It was never too stiff out of the box
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

The weight and length of the blade make flipping the Chief easier than most backlocks.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

So true. Mass makes drop shutty more easily possible, too. Even on budget knives like my Byrd Rescue. Much easier to Spydie flick than say my Pac Salt 2.
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Snagged a Rex model off the local knife store. Haven’t had too much cutting yet.

First impressions
Golden quality, fit and finish are amazing. Lock up is great no blade play.
No need to really tune anything on it, action is smooth and crisp, especially for a big ole lock back.
It disappears into the pocket, even for its size.
I’d like the G10 to be radiased? I think the term is... corners smoothed down a bit.

Here it is with my other Orange monsters. Guess which one has had the most use....
https://i.postimg.cc/L4yQkj5s/EBE05158- ... 94-E86.jpg
vivi

Post by vivi »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:48 pm
Nice one! What are the trees leafing out early in your neck of the woods? Can't quite make it out in the photo.
That picture was taken up a mountain where the trees have barely popped.

Here's how they look at ground level

Everything has been coming back in the past couple of weeks. Trying to get out and enjoy it before it gets real hot out.
kobold

Post by kobold »

No use yet, still just admiring the knife. :)
IMG_1197.JPG
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Nice reflection. Very Rockstead.
vanka

Post by vanka »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:57 pm
I’m very happy with the design of the native chief. It great in the hand and is slim in the pocket. I’m also happy to have been able to get it in Rex45.Image
Nice blade swap on the native chief. I was wondering how it'll look like, Now i'm considering of doing the same. But i believe we need some custom scales and clips to play with.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tried using the sharpmaker on Rex45 for the first time. 15 degree slots resulted in a microbevel as expected, since the factory edge was about 13-14 dps. Just used the flats of the medium rods for about 12 strokes per side and its back to catching hairs above the skin and effortlessly gliding through materials.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:37 am
Tried using the sharpmaker on Rex45 for the first time. 15 degree slots resulted in a microbevel as expected, since the factory edge was about 13-14 dps. Just used the flats of the medium rods for about 12 strokes per side and its back to catching hairs above the skin and effortlessly gliding through materials.
It's just such a nice steel. Strong with a stable edge and good sharpening response.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve gotta stop reading the General Discussion forum. Now I’m jonesing for a Native Chief, and it ain’t going away.

Jim