Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Post by Enactive »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:53 am
I've been waiting a few years for this model to come out. I'm very pleased with it. Such a nice design for those of us with larger hands. Carries well in the pocket without a hump in the blade. Smooth opening and it drops about halfway closed when you press the lock in. Very solid lock up with no blade play.
It cuts very well.

Initial shot when I received it
That's a nice crew you got there. Glad you're happy with your Chief too.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Oh... and the Stretch 2
IMAG2983.jpg
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

All these comparison shots are wonderful! I'm definitely going to have to pick up one of these in the future.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 am
Oh... and the Stretch 2
IMAG2983.jpg

Could you do one when the knives are closed? That would be great...(EDIT: Just Stretch compared to Chief)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 am
Enactive wrote:
Oh... and the Stretch 2
IMAG2983.jpg
Could you do one when the knives are closed? That would be great...(EDIT: Just Stretch compared to Chief)
Sure thing! I will say that the differences here are dramatic regarding edge to handle ratio-- I generally don't focus on that ratio, more how the handle and blade work for me.
IMAG2985.jpg
For the additional 9mm (from 120mm to 129mm of handle) of closed length going from Stretch 2 to the Chief you gain nearly twice as much edge in the deal (16mm-- going from 75mm to 91mm of edge).

The weight difference is also negligible-- a mere 6 grams going from 105 to 111.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The best thing I hear about the Stretch is the comfort in hand. How does the Chief compare?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 am
Enactive wrote:
Oh... and the Stretch 2
IMAG2983.jpg
Sure thing! I will say that the differences here are dramatic regarding edge to handle ratio-- I generally don't focus on that ratio, more how the handle and blade work for me.
IMAG2985.jpg
For the additional 9mm (from 120mm to 129mm of handle) of closed length going from Stretch 2 to the Chief you gain nearly twice as much edge in the deal (16mm-- going from 75mm to 91mm of edge).

The weight difference is also negligible-- a mere 6 grams going from 105 to 111.

Thanks a lot, that´s very kind!!

Don´t want to go off topic, but your example shows again one of the reasons why I prefer the Stretch ONE over the Stretch TWO:
The former had great edge to handle ratio, the latter not at all... let me do your example, just with the Stretch ONE instead of the Stretch TWO:

The Strech ONE has not only 9, but 16 mm less in the handle compared to the Chief (113 to 129 mm), while its EDGE is only 10 mm shorter than the Chiefs (81 to 91 mm)
So here it is the other way round: Stretch ONE has a clearly even better edge to handle ratio than the Chief...and it´s weight is also lighter (95g Stretch ONE, 111g Chief)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:13 pm
The best thing I hear about the Stretch is the comfort in hand. How does the Chief compare?
For me the Stretch 2 is really tough to beat ergonomically and gets the nod. I wear a size Large glove and have fat/square palms with long skinny fingers. I have never met another folding knife that has a behind-the-choil-grip as satisfying to me as the Stretch 2-- The chubby palm swell is really something.

So in ergonomics the Stretch wins. In edge length and carry the Chief wins. The Chief is slimmer and carries a little bit better despite a small amount of additional length and weight-- mostly because the slimmer humpless design.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Just got mine. First impression is that it's very nice, just as I expected from the photos and commentary. Pivot came a touch loose but was easily snugged up. There is now zero blade play in any direction. I look forward to carrying it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mine arrived today. Rides well in the pocket. First impression. A long thin slicer, cuts very well. Delicate tip, but also a sharp and functional tip. Comfortable to use choking up using the choil, or griping all the way back at the end of the handle. When cutting blade orients flat against what you are cutting.

I like the flat spine (as I do on the Shaman, Native, Lil Native).

This knife isn't something like the Shaman that you'd stab into a 2x4 without a second thought. But what you give up in durability you gain in cutting and piercing performance. This is a slicing machine with a needle tip.

Very much enjoyed my first day with it. There are some interesting differences in the spacing just behind the blade choil in comparison to the Police4 that let you choke "back" on the handle as opposed to choking up. Gives you almost the same 'reach' as the P4 held in the same position, but with a slightly shorter blade. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Haven't heard a single thing that has reduced my anticipation for using this new model. I'll be ordering one sometime soon. Looks like an instant classic. I own the Police 3/4 and the Calypso, and owned Natives....I can see inspiration drawn from each.
:unicorn
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Mine should be here tomorrow. I am looking forward to use it....maybe do some in the woods stuff.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Just broke down a cardboard box and it was like the proverbial laser. Especially towards the first half of the blade. It was too easy at some points. Really enjoying this design. Not hot spots in use yet. Got an aftermarket clip on the way too. Gonna try cutting into a hickory handle next.

Here's a shot of the residue before I clean it. I just hate this glue on my blades.
Last edited by VashHash on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

It's just such a purposeful design and build! A candidate for Sal and Eric's best work. Shout out to the Golden knife makers too! :spyder: :cool: :D
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:50 am
Haven't heard a single thing that has reduced my anticipation for using this new model. I'll be ordering one sometime soon. Looks like an instant classic. I own the Police 3/4 and the Calypso, and owned Natives....I can see inspiration drawn from each.
Pretty sure you'll love it. I'm eager to put mine to some real use.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Here's a fun size comparison shot. I'll post some more later :D

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

levs18 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm
I really want this knife but am not a big fan of s30v. I’m hoping we get a sprint really soon.
There won’t be a sprint if it doesn’t sell
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:30 am
Just broke down a cardboard box and it was like the proverbial laser. Especially towards the first half of the blade. It was too easy at some points. Really enjoying this design. Not hot spots in use yet. Got an aftermarket clip on the way too. Gonna try cutting into a hickory handle next.

Here's a shot of the residue before I clean it. I just hate this glue on my blades.
If anybody were to get a "hot spot" from breaking down a cardboard box, they need to work with their hands a bit more...or stop watching Shabazz YouTube videos :rolleyes:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Matt and Vivi, very interested in your updates on using this knife. Especially in comparison with the Police 4, and the Shaman as well in Matt's case. Who would have thought a year ago he would own all these huge folders haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I'm really liking mine. It's a great size if you don't mind a larger knife. Feels great in the hand in any grip. Great F&F and sharp as ****!
20190610_212043.jpg
Millie
Native Chief
Endura
PM2
20190610_180232_0.jpg