Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Post by vivi »

I had been carrying my Siren to work, but the last few days I've been carrying the Chief regardless of what I'm doing.

It isn't a big fan of sweaty IWB carry.

I also touchedit up for the first time. It was still holding on to scrape shaving sharpness, and a few licks per side on my 40 micron diamond strop got it cutting more aggressively.

Still debating which finish I want to give it when I break out the stones.
:unicorn
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Handle forward, no choil max edge serrated LC200n Saltified.........done.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:17 pm
I had been carrying my Siren to work, but the last few days I've been carrying the Chief regardless of what I'm doing.

[https://i.postimg.cc/fyNgNfSD/20210327-160947-HDR.jpg[/img]
[https://i.postimg.cc/cCBk4tfY/20210327-160956-HDR.jpg
[/img]

I also touchedit up for the first time. It was still holding on to scrape shaving sharpness, and a few licks per side on my 40 micron diamond strop got it cutting more aggressively.

Dang you picked up some spotting huh? Do you think that happened easier than with K390, or do you find Rex45 more stain resistant in your use?
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
vivi

Post by vivi »

MFlovejp wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:23 pm
vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:17 pm

[https://i.postimg.cc/fyNgNfSD/20210327-160947-HDR.jpg[/img]
[https://i.postimg.cc/cCBk4tfY/20210327-160956-HDR.jpg
[/img]

Dang you picked up some spotting huh? Do you think that happened easier than with K390, or do you find Rex45 more stain resistant in your use?
They seemed pretty close before today. To the Chiefs credit I did a kickboxing class then clipped it IWB almost right after. Not a good idea with carbon steels. K390 may have a slight edge but neither rust for me the way 1095/1085/S7/O1 sorts of steels do.

I used to EDC a CPMD2 Military year round and I'd get spotting along where the blade is exposed from the handle the same way. If the orange spotting started getting bad I'd give it a light buffing. Eventually it all blends into the patina.

I plan to carry this knife year round like that D2 Military. There will still be days I'll carry a Salt, but I won't shy away from summer carry with the Rex Chief.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

You might try forcing a patina with mustard or something. Worked well for me with my Rex45 para3 (which I carry in my sweat pants a lot).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

MFlovejp wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:08 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:45 pm
I wonder if or when Golden’s base steel will change to SPY27, and if it might be worth it to wait on that possibility. I like Spyderco’s S30V, but would like to try SPY27, and the Native Chief seems like a great knife to experience that with. Or maybe that would really drive up the cost.

Jim

I’m very curious as to how all this will shake out as well. Seems like there are several possibilities for what will become (or remain) the base steel. I’ve heard conjecture that Spy27 is the new base, or that S45VN will start taking over. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see S30V remain as a standard for a long time to come, and how can they get rid of VG-10? One big mystery to me.

Either SPY27 or S45VN would be great as a new base steel on the Native Chief. TBH, I like S30V and haven’t had any issues with it. But I have so many knives in S30V, it would be nice to see a new stainless base steel, at least on some of the Golden models, with some of the qualities I’ve read of SPY27 or such. Maybe with a little more toughness than S30V, especially with such a fine-tipped knife as the Native Chief. Whether or not I would actually notice much difference from S30V in my own uses is unknowable, until or unless I get an opportunity to try it on a model I’m interested in.

Then again, if the base steel remains S30V, I wouldn’t be upset, either.

As for VG-10, I love it as the base steel for Seki models. I don’t think I would want it to be discontinued on Spyderco’s Seki lineup.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Fact of the matter is, they’re all fantastic steels so I’d be happy with any of them. From a business standpoint, however, it seems like it might not be best to support them ALL haha. Not that I claim to know how to run their business better than they do, just a thought.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Chief has such good geometry. The only PE folder in a long, long time I may leave at the factory edge angle. Very impressive cutting performance.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Agreed. Great penetrating ability and slicing, and despite the length it feels very agile (likely a result of the choil and overall weight distribution).

What have you been using it for lately, Vivi?
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The more I handle my S90v NC the more it grows on me. My blade has a nice even grind.

Just admiring the grind on my NC. It’s as perfect as any Spyderco I have ever seen. Compliments to the Golden knife makers!
Last edited by dan31 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Zive wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:24 pm
Agreed. Great penetrating ability and slicing, and despite the length it feels very agile (likely a result of the choil and overall weight distribution).

What have you been using it for lately, Vivi?
Everything. Its been the only knife I've been using lately aside from my chef knife at work. It handles all my food prep at home, opens packages, helps start fires, saves kiddos etc.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Read the entire thread with interest, was thinking I'd purchase a Chief. Really appreciate the blade/handle ratio, compact and light for its size, a big selling point for me. After reading the thread, I think not. Appreciate the accurate descriptions and impressions, but now I'm thinking this isn't for me. I think it's too large for 90% of my use; I'd not want to explain this size knife to an officer; I've noticed that the Caly 3 is easier for me to maneuver precisely than the 3.5. Further, if I have a knife this large, I'd prefer a sturdier tip on it. But I think it's beautiful to look at and I vicariously enjoy the glee that you folks have owning this awesome knife. Enjoy!!
kobold

Post by kobold »

Just awesome! :spyder: :D

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It is quite fantastic to have a Native with a handle that fits my hand comfortably, and with a generous sized blade!

It is like upgrading from a hatchback to a family sedan. So much space...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:42 pm
Read the entire thread with interest, was thinking I'd purchase a Chief.

I did the same; read the entire post and ordered the CF S90V last weekend. Safe and Lock still have a few left.

https://www.safeandlockstore.com/knives ... iber-s90v/

Cheers!

Take care, stay safe, and be sharp.

CMP-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
vivi

Post by vivi »

Has anyone tried contouring the edges of the scales? I'd like to try but there really isn't much clearance around the body screws.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I haven’t thought about that, but maybe it could use a little at the middle hump of the handle scales?

I was just thinking today just how excellent the factory edge is on this knife. The bevel is perfectly even and I’m guessing about 13 dps... I haven’t had to do a thing to it besides a little stropping and I think one touch up on a fine stone. Amazing.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:24 pm
Has anyone tried contouring the edges of the scales? I'd like to try but there really isn't much clearance around the body screws.
Yes, I masked up and used a progression of sandpaper squares held in my hand, and then cleaned up the radiusing with larger pieces of sandpaper on a firm mousepad.

Blew out the dust with canned air, then washed the knife in soapy water, dried it and flushed it with Ballistol.

It feels much better now. Those unchamfered squared off edges were a bit odd and uncomfortable. I’ll add more details in a subsequent post. ;)
anycal

Post by anycal »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:24 pm
Did it to my CF model. Took it apart and sanded both inside and outside under running water. Doesn't take much to increase the comfort. I would probably go further if it was G10.
Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

Either of you have pictures? I may try sanding mine later tonight.
MFlovejp wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:49 pm
I haven’t thought about that, but maybe it could use a little at the middle hump of the handle scales?

I was just thinking today just how excellent the factory edge is on this knife. The bevel is perfectly even and I’m guessing about 13 dps... I haven’t had to do a thing to it besides a little stropping and I think one touch up on a fine stone. Amazing.
Sounds about right. I got under 30 degrees when I measured the edge on mine....I think I got a hair under 28 degrees if I remember correctly. The entire blade profile boasts incredibly efficient geometry. My Manix XL's and Military folders always impressed me with their cutting ability for how large and robust they are. The Chief is on a different level though.