Have recent releases confused you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Have recent releases confused you?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Well heck while you are at it where is my blasted Parata?

I have no Idea how big Spyderco is as a company but they are the Giant in the industry. They are also my favorite not because I like how things have changed recently but whenever I look at another companies offerings, Benchmade, Cold Steel, CRKT and even venerable Buck, I always come back to Sal and Eric IE: Spyderco.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

One word guys ... BETA GROUP!!!!

(Ok, so I haven't learned to count).

But think about it ... near instantaneous feedback via forums, youtube, and such.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

sorry, double post
So many knives - so little funds!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Folks are acting like this is a new thing? There have been many production models that have been hard to come by in the past. The base model Para2 was hard to get when it first came out and so was the S110V version. Same goes for the Yojimbo. Same with some of the Taichung collaborations. The Advocate and Southard were both in short supply when they first dropped too.

It seems silly to me to think that Spyderco is doing anything less than making them as fast as they can.

While Spyderco has been expanding their Golden facility as well as working with multiple other makers in attempts to meet demand I believe that their popularity has been growing at a rate that either matches or outpaces those efforts. The EDC crowd has become a large and growing part of the market. That increased popularity is also part of the reason that the standard 1200 piece run seems to not quite be enough at times anymore.

I have also noticed quite a few new dealers in the game these days. Again, probably due in part to an increased interest in knives and EDC. Having more dealers just spreads those runs of knives out even thinner, making them harder to find.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Blades

Post by Blades »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:42 pm
Whatever happened to the Tropen or Subvert?? Two releases I never saw anything about here besides LC with the Subvert.
I'm wondering about the Tropen also...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Blades wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:58 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:42 pm
Whatever happened to the Tropen or Subvert?? Two releases I never saw anything about here besides LC with the Subvert.

I'm wondering about the Tropen also...

They are both in stock everywhere. Are you saying you are surprised that they were released without any threads here mentioning them being available? The delivered and upcoming thread discussed them when they were released back in January. I'm confused as to your question?? :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm saying I'm curious as to why I've never seen those models posted about, or talked about here on the forum. Other than LC having the Subvert.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:01 pm
I'm saying I'm curious as to why I've never seen those models posted about, or talked about here on the forum. Other than LC having the Subvert.
niche models. not many folks talked about the police until it was ran in k390, few discuss the szabo folder, fixed blades generate 1/10th the discussion folders do etc.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:44 pm
Having dropped, the Native Chief, Maxamet PM2, S90V Shaman, and AEB-L Urban are on my get-list.

But strangely, the usually reliable places have had each of them only momentarily, if at all.
You know. I am sorta OK with it. It is saving me a lot of money.

The S90V Shaman of course was a sprint, whereas the PM2 in Maxamet is regular production.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'd like to say there are a lot of good points and salient observations all around in this thread. Perhaps if there are any to take home, they might be these:
1) Spyderco makes many models, many of which are totally niche, and marketing those models as if they were just two-a-penny stock pieces would be prohibitively expensive
2) everybody has their favorites when it comes to those niche models
and
3) thank you lucky stars for those niche models

I'd be really frustrated too if a knife I really wanted was snapped up by wealthier folk than myself or even just by people who were quicker on the draw, but I doubt any of this is strategic on the company's part. Also, we don't know what their production issues are; they probably really want to please everyone but sometimes run into problems in fine tuning a model so as to not release an inferior product. It can be tough to sit tight, but just think how sweet it is when you finally hear that snap of the lock lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

i think they're pumping them out as fast as they can. demand is high!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

I personaly think when it comes to exclusives, one should always be prepared for making the transaction as quick as possible( paypal checkout), auto-fill form tactics, refreshing page incase of website response being slow due to server being to busy, and getting to the site ontime at the scheduled release time. Remember that the number of units are available to the world in most cases and not per country. If its something you really want and you dont want to pay secondary price, following these steps should be paramount to your tactic for aquiring a rare item.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think people also forget they have a large percentage of the knife market that doesn't participate on this forum and buys stuff without posting about it.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 am
I think people also forget they have a large percentage of the knife market that doesn't participate on this forum and buys stuff without posting about it.
Exactly
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube