Have recent releases confused you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Have recent releases confused you?

Post by wrdwrght »

Having dropped, the Native Chief, Maxamet PM2, S90V Shaman, and AEB-L Urban are on my get-list.

But strangely, the usually reliable places have had each of them only momentarily, if at all.

I can’t remember dribs-and-drabs hitting four releases all at once. Anyone else wondering why it has happened? Quite confusing, and frustrating.

I thought the whole idea of the new Reveal program was to lessen the uncertainty of when new models are to appear and, presumably, be everywhere...
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SG89

Re: Have recent releases confused you?

Post by SG89 »

I have noticed that. Like every new production model feels like a sprint in how fast it goes out of stock.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

I agree. It would be nice to at least understand, or be informed, the reason or purpose behind it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

It has confused me as well. Maybe it is a strategy to release them in trickles to drive a feeding frenzy and FOMO like we are seeing. If so, it is clearly working! :D

Think about the Maxamet PM2. This knife has had so many people on YouTube and other places (even on here) talk about blades breaking, tips breaking, chipping, shattering like glass, being impossible to sharpen, etc, etc. Yet they are still selling out insanely fast, even at huge premium to the S30V PM2s. There were 15 in stock at BHQ when I got on earlier in the day and they all sold within the hour. I don't get it. Are there really that many knife steel edge retention junky nerds? If I go watch a random knife steel video on YouTube there are only a few thousand views if that. I can't see that many people being that interested in Maxamet, AND being able to plunk down $200 on a folder. Despite what a few people say about 3V folders, I would expect a 3V PM2 to have WAAAAY more interest than Maxamet. It is really well known and well loved in the broader knife market. I hope they do a 3V PM2 (or Para 3 or Para 3 LW) soon and see for themselves just how popular this steel would be!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Maybe there are more dealers than before so they are getting spread out more?

I want knives to be easier to buy and not harder. While I do enjoy the thrill of the chase I will choose instant gratification over it every time.

That said, I did acquire a Maxamet Para2 and a CF/S90V Shaman so I am still quite happy. :D The Chief is still on my short list but I have been spending money on homesteading lately instead.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Well, I have to assume that each production facility has the standard Spyderco knives (the ones that keep the company financially afloat) that must be made. So dealer exclusives and sprint runs are balanced with the production of knives that are purchased in high quantities. Does Spyderco outright own any of these production facilities? I assume the only one they would own would be here in the US. That means facilities in other countries take contracts from other companies as well. I see no reason why Spyderco orders would take precedent over orders from another company. Favoring one company at the expense of another is a good way to lose a client. That doesn't even touch on supply chain issues. Factories deal with supply constraints, repairs to essential equipment, labor issues, local holidays, etc. Spyderco doesn't owe anybody an explanation as to what issues (if any) they are currently experiencing (I assume that Spyderco is not a publicly traded company).

As I understand it, the Reveal program was designed so that customers would have a good idea when a new product will be available (in the next three months). The Reveal program does not guarantee the availability of a knife model once it has been sent to distributors, nor does it guarantee that the myriad of manufacturing issues that Spyderco and their partners deal with on a daily basis will run smoothly. Once a model hits the market, the Reveal program has served its purpose. Meeting customer demand is a problem that Spyderco surely cares about. I seriously doubt that whatever demand exists here on the forum is enough to keep the lights on at Spyderco. I would guess that our limited purchasing power cannot sway Spyderco to rearrange the production of their knives.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The S90V Shaman and Chief are available from reputable dealers on eBay and elsewhere right now for MAP prices.
The Maxamet PM2 has a lot of pent up demand and FOMO behind it. It'll restock and the market will settle I believe.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:44 pm
Having dropped, the Native Chief, Maxamet PM2, S90V Shaman, and AEB-L Urban are on my get-list.

But strangely, the usually reliable places have had each of them only momentarily, if at all.

I can’t remember dribs-and-drabs hitting four releases all at once. Anyone else wondering why it has happened? Quite confusing, and frustrating.

I thought the whole idea of the new Reveal program was to lessen the uncertainty of when new models are to appear and, presumably, be everywhere...
Yep I have been griping about it for a while now.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Well I don't know if I can speak to some of the larger issues like what Spyderco's strategy is (if they have one), but as I recall the release of the S110V PM2 three years ago or so was pretty similar, dribs and drabs to many retailers until supply and demand equilibrated. Maybe this is a new-ish practice the company is using, who knows.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
PStone

Post by PStone »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:24 pm
The S90V Shaman and Chief are available from reputable dealers on eBay and elsewhere right now for MAP prices.
The Maxamet PM2 has a lot of pent up demand and FOMO behind it. It'll restock and the market will settle I believe.
You’re right about FOMO Maxamet. I spent my S90V Shaman money on one two weeks ago for that very reason. Went to make my dealer refresh rounds looking for the Shaman, but BHQ had the Maxamet. So FOMO kicked in and I jumped on that instead.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

What I would like to know is why the Smock is still nowhere to be seen? This was supposed to be a production knife and it has been a long time since they were released dribs and drabs are one thing but going months on end after initial few were released and now, no where to be found.

Not just odd but frustrating for those who were waiting on solid reviews before purchasing and quite frankly is making the hobby less enjoyable to the point where I have actually been looking at other manufacturers offerings and Gasp bought a Benchmade recently.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'm hoping I can snag one of the AEB-L Urbans from the SFO (OpFocus program). If not, I'll just wait for a production knife that I want to come in stock, like the Para 3 LW or the upcoming Sage 5 LW. I remember that the Caribbean, and the Native 5 Salt were pretty scarce when they were initially released, but those are fairly available now.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Kapara is still an elusive unicorn. I feel pretty lucky now, to have been able to at least grab a Smock when it was released. Figured both of these would be easy to get!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The other very confusing thing to me is that the Bento Box Shop exclusives take months to sell out, but the DLT and BHQ exclusives sell out in under 5 minutes. I mean I know Bento Box is vilified on here and they charge (not only charge...but charge A LOT!) for shipping, but the Delica is a pretty good deal even after shipping, and their Para 3 exclusive was priced ok last year. For how popular M390 is, it would seem that they should sell out the same day like the others. Once they eventually do sell out they end up selling on eBay for $200+, so that just adds to the mystery. It's like people don't want to buy their exclusives at retail because they feel like it is overpriced and they are entitled to free shipping. But once it is sold out they have no problem paying big bucks on eBay for one because it is now a rare piece and they get FAST AND FREE shipping on their now $200 knife. :confused:

Oh well, it's nice to be able to pick up a nice exclusive at my leisure. I hope they do an M390 Dragonfly next! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:21 pm
The other very confusing thing to me is that the Bento Box Shop exclusives take months to sell out, but the DLT and BHQ exclusives sell out in under 5 minutes. I mean I know Bento Box is vilified on here and they change for shipping, but the Delica is a pretty good deal even after shipping, and their Para 3 exclusive was priced ok last year. For how popular M390 is, it would seem that they should sell out the same day like the others. Once they eventually do sell out they end up selling on eBay for $200+, so that just adds to the mystery. It's like people don't want to buy their exclusives at retail because they feel like it is overpriced and they are entitled to free shipping. But once it is sold out they have no problem paying big bucks on eBay for one because it is now a rare piece. :confused:

Oh well, it's nice to be able to pick up a nice exclusive at my leisure. I hope they do an M390 Dragonfly next! :D
I think BBS' no returns policy and mystery ownership turn many people off, in addition to their shipping charges and often selling closer to MSRP than MAP. I think the eBay prices come from people new to collecting who are trying to catch up, or people who've progressed in their careers to the point that they finally have the income to buy knives they've long wanted.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Yea the opfocus program has been pretty frustrating. I've been calling every other week trying to get multiple different knife models and none of them are available. It's hard to be a benefit/appreciation for military and first responders if the knives are never in stock.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:26 pm
Yea the opfocus program has been pretty frustrating. I've been calling every other week trying to get multiple different knife models and none of them are available. It's hard to be a benefit/appreciation for military and first responders if the knives are never in stock.
At first I was frustrated with not being able to get sprints, but my perspective on that has changed. No other knife company that I'm aware of offers qualified buyers a program anywhere close to OpFocus. After the initial release hype wears off, the vast majority of the regular production folders become available for purchase on the Spyderco website with the OpFocus discount. I'm okay with having to be patient and just get regular production versions in exchange for the privilege of Spyderco offering us such a generous discount with otherwise unlimited use. I feel like the sprints are luxuries, while the regular production versions cover just about every practical need.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:04 pm
Kapara is still an elusive unicorn. I feel pretty lucky now, to have been able to at least grab a Smock when it was released. Figured both of these would be easy to get!
Oh yes the Kapara! What a neat looking knife, hope it comes back soon! :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bad form to knock the OpFocus program.

I’m grateful for it and recognize that Spyderco’s dealer network comes first. Waiting for SFO to show “in stock” is just part of the process.

As the OP, my intent was to get a handle on what’s going on with getting stuff (I’m now reminded of the Kapara and the Smock), into the dealer network.

I’m not complaining, just trying to recalibrate my expectations.

But if this is the new normal, does the Reveal program mean only that we can be sure a revealed model will drop within 90 days, and that we just can’t be sure where to find it... Seems a weird tradeoff.

No doubt, the fear of missing out (had to look up FOMO) is strong these days, especially after the absurd handling of recent exclusives.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:05 pm
Bad form to knock the OpFocus program.

I’m grateful for it and recognize that Spyderco’s dealer network comes first. Waiting for SFO to show “in stock” is just part of the process.

As the OP, my intent was to get a handle on what’s going on with getting stuff (I’m now reminded of the Kapara and the Smock), into the dealer network.

I’m not complaining, just trying to recalibrate my expectations.

But if this is the new normal, does the Reveal program mean only that we can be sure a revealed model will drop within 90 days, and that we just can’t be sure where to find it... Seems a weird tradeoff.

No doubt, the fear of missing out (had to look up FOMO) is strong these days, especially after the absurd handling of recent exclusives.
Just curious, what about the recent exclusive releases do you find problematic? I'm genuinely just curious, not sure I have an opinion one way or the other.