DLC Who does it best? Spyderco? Coldsteel? Others?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

DLC Who does it best? Spyderco? Coldsteel? Others?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Today an auto search on eBay for CTS XHP brought up Cold Steel Knives and they are calling there black coating DLC.

Is it? I know Spyderco’s is food safe as are there titanium Nitride coating but stuff like cerekote is not.

Is not DLC a Spyderco proprietary process? Does Spyderco have a separate company coat the blades?

Seems odd wonder where it comes in in the manufacturing process and how Cold Steel can use the same wording from the pictures I have seen their DLC Looks shiny, kind of defeats the purpose. Spyderco’s DLC is Matt and will not reflect light.
bearfacedkiller

Re: DLC Who does it best? Spyderco? Coldsteel? Others?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

DLC is not a proprietary process.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All I know is their Golden DLC is tougher than any other coating I've used by any brand.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
5pins

Post by 5pins »

I have a Kershaw Blur that is DLC coated. It must be about 20 years old now and the coating is holding up very well.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Becker
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:09 pm
Today an auto search on eBay for CTS XHP brought up Cold Steel Knives and they are calling there black coating DLC.

Is it? I know Spyderco’s is food safe as are there titanium Nitride coating but stuff like cerekote is not.

Is not DLC a Spyderco proprietary process? Does Spyderco have a separate company coat the blades?

Seems odd wonder where it comes in in the manufacturing process and how Cold Steel can use the same wording from the pictures I have seen their DLC Looks shiny, kind of defeats the purpose. Spyderco’s DLC is Matt and will not reflect light.
Did someone just use Spyderco and Cold Steel in the same paragraph? :confused:

Isn't that like comparing a Cadillac to AIDS?
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

JohnAPA wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Did someone just compare Spyderco to Cold Steel? :confused:

vivi

Post by vivi »

JohnAPA wrote:

Maybe if you've never actually used a Cold Steel knife and instead regurgitate what people on the internet type based solely on their marketing.....
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can get DLC applied to a knife after market, as well.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:40 pm
Oh? Now that is interesting could you share a link?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I think Spyderco, CS, and RHK do some of the best DLC.
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:28 pm
JohnAPA wrote:

Maybe if you've never actually used a Cold Steel knife and instead regurgitate what people on the internet type based solely on their marketing.....
I totally agree with you Vivi ;) I own several of Cold Steel's knives and other products I've acquired over the years and I find their performance to be more than satisfactory. Now I do find that most of Spyderco's knives are better made and better designed>> but on the other hand that doesn't mean that Cold Steel's stuff is trash either. Yeah that's a rather unfair assessment of the two companies in my humble opinion :(

Now as far as the DLC coatings? I don't have enough evidence at hand to make a valid opinion on it. But the coated Cold Steel and Spyderco units I own have held up rather well overall. I've heard that there is a company called "Bodycote" that is supposed to be at the top of that game.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:33 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:40 pm
Oh? Now that is interesting could you share a link?
https://www.razoredgeknives.com/services-fees/dlc

I have not had REK do a DLC coating for me yet (although I probably will in the future), but the work I've had him do (regrinds and sharpening) has been absolutely top notch.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

The dlc on my 3v srk and master hunter has held up perfectly. It has a pearly sheen that looks nice IMO and doesn’t scratch easily, even when impacting rocks. I don’t have any dlc spydercos, so no comments there.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If DLC were proprietary it would be called SpyderBlack :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:28 pm
JohnAPA wrote:

I have an old Recon 1 that was made in Japan (Yeah it's OLD) and the DLC on that knife is bullet proof, I think it's better than the newer ones personally.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

In my worthless opinion, Cold Steel's DLC is by far the best. Like Ankerson said, nearly bulletproof. It's also a high gloss finish that seems to glide through materials quite well.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?