M390 CTS-204P 20CV :) Hype Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

M390 CTS-204P 20CV :) Hype Steel

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hype steel kind of tired of it.

Have purchased each more than twice.

My experience puts CTS-204P and the overly much recognized M390 as identical.

Latrobe 20CV alone has proven sharper smoother subjectively almost Cruwear like cutting right out of the box.

So surprised how CTS-204P fails to be recognized as the M390 Equal.

Even more surprised how little 20CV is recognized as superior to both in the Spyderverse regardless of ingredient list, to heck with steel on paper.
rbb2

Re: M390 CTS-204P 20CV :) Hype Steel

Post by rbb2 »

Unless I am mistaken, all three are generally considered as equivalent, just made by different foundries.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:50 pm

Latrobe 20CV alone has proven sharper smoother subjectively almost Cruwear like cutting right out of the box.

Even more surprised how little 20CV is recognized as superior to both in the Spyderverse regardless of ingredient list, to heck with steel on paper.
Its even funnier how people still chase M390 even though its more expensive than the other 2. Also, 20CV and CTS-204P are much more available options
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Yes very similar on paper. M390 and CTS-204P in the Spyderco Knives I have purchased are impossible to tell apart in terms of sharpness the way the blade sharpens and the keen edge it can take.

20CV While appearing very close on paper is not the same it holds a keener edge. Sounds crazy but this is what’s i have experienced in the same model IE PM2 with all three of the steels referenced.

One thing I know for certain is I will be on the lookout for anything produced in 20CV and hope others come to understand just how good this steel is.

CTS-204 P and M390 over which there has been allot of hype and higher prices especially on the secondary market no longer gets my attention the way it once did now.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

I'm still hoping that DLT Trading makes a 20CV para3 :D

Doeswhateveraspidercan

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:43 pm
Me too I will certainly buy one or two.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:43 pm
same here. just started a thread for a 20cv para 3
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Its even funnier how people still chase M390 even though its more expensive than the other 2. Also, 20CV and CTS-204P are much more available options
Well all I can tell you is that I've had my M390 Military model as my main EDC going on close to 3 years now and it's been a great performer for me. I'm right at this moment looking to buy another two M390 Spyderco models. I love the way I can get a super smooth edge that I find similar to my straight razor when really sharp. With the performance I've had with my M390 Millie on some really rough jobs I can hardly label it as "Hype Steel" :confused: Personally for years I have thought that about S30V deserves the label of "Hype Steel"

Now I'm not a bonafide metallurgist and I'm in no way saying it's the best steel on the planet. Also I've said before if I find something that significantly outperforms it I will semi-retire my M390 Millie and try another steel for a while. But I don't know how you all can say negative stuff about M390 because it's been a winner for me. I also landed an M390 Para2 for my old boss and he swears by his as well. And he's a hard dude to please :D
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am not a metallurgist either but it seems to me that it would be impossible to compare the three without the exact same HT.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ferider

Post by ferider »

I have all 3 from the same brand (20cv and m390 PM2, 204p Military; and m390 and 20cv from Hinderer or ZT). Indistinguishable from the same brand as a user for me, but different when you go from Spyderco to Hinderer to ZT.

Too common to be called "Hype". Just a great compromise of wear resistance, toughness and corrosion resistance.

Talking about stainless, wish Spyderco would make a knife in CPM 154 though .... Military, Manix 2 or XL would be great. Am I the only one ?

Roland.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ferider wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:35 am

Talking about stainless, wish Spyderco would make a knife in CPM 154 though .... Military, Manix 2 or XL would be great. Am I the only one ?

No, I would like to try a CPM-154 blade as well. I'm into the LWs these days though, so I would vote Manix LW or Para 3 LW. I am saving my Manix XL requests for CRUWEAR!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd like to see an EDC folder in CPM 154. Spyderco does make knives in CPM 154, just not something I can EDC. Even around here carrying around a Respect or Darn Dao is probably going overboard.

I have a Leek in CPM 154 that I've been quite impressed with.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I like steels to be hyped.

Their champions argue for the abundance of pros over the scarcity of cons, and we let our curiosity get the better of us, budgets allowing, to see if we agree.

When we don’t agree on things, we get nearer their essence.

Isn’t learning fun?
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:03 am
A.S.O.K.A wrote:

Well all I can tell you is that I've had my M390 Military model as my main EDC going on close to 3 years now and it's been a great performer for me. I'm right at this moment looking to buy another two M390 Spyderco models. I love the way I can get a super smooth edge that I find similar to my straight razor when really sharp. With the performance I've had with my M390 Millie on some really rough jobs I can hardly label it as "Hype Steel" :confused: Personally for years I have thought that about S30V deserves the label of "Hype Steel"

Now I'm not a bonafide metallurgist and I'm in no way saying it's the best steel on the planet. Also I've said before if I find something that significantly outperforms it I will semi-retire my M390 Millie and try another steel for a while. But I don't know how you all can say negative stuff about M390 because it's been a winner for me. I also landed an M390 Para2 for my old boss and he swears by his as well. And he's a hard dude to please :D
I simply point out the fact that m390 is more expensive and at one point harder to come by than the other two

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

jdw wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:21 am
I am not a metallurgist either but it seems to me that it would be impossible to compare the three without the exact same HT.
Yes. I was talking with OP about this in another thread, and the point I was failing to get across was that his preference for 20CV over M390 and 204P comes down to the 20CV he has having a higher HRC than the M390 and 204P he has had. What I would try to clarify is, if he had happened to get an M390 blade that had the heat treat his 20CV blade had, and the 20CV blade had the lower heat treat the M390 had, he'd be on here saying how awesome M390 was and how it was much better than 20CV.

With equal heat treats and geometry these should all perform the same.

Now why are heat treats for these steels all over the place in production knives? Why are so many companies putting out softer M390 204P 20CV. I was discussing this with banter 247 in the HRC thread. I'll repost here.
Banter 247 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 pm
To any interested parties, Gerald at Outpost76 on YouTube just put up an edge retention test, run three times, to verify performance range, on his channel. It’s a PM2 in M390, tested at 62hrc. When compared to multiple edge retention tests of 57-59hrc M390/20CV/204P, this is jaw dropping. The performance increase is ... substantial.

Now... as a buyer, there is a spot of bad news. It seems likely that, as Kenny from InthePocket suggested in our chat, there may only be a small number of optimal hardness samples per production batch.

One of the challenges to delivering this family of steels at peak hardness is moving them from oven to quench fast enough. In a batch of 2-3 blades (common custom batch size), with stations close together, it’s not prohibitively tricky. In production scale, only a small segment of the batch is likely to get there fast enough. As a result, it should be fairly common to see hrc distribution across same-batch samples range from 57-62, with the vast majority between 57-59. We’re unlikely to ever see production steel from this family hit 63-64, which has been done in 2-3 blade batch sizes. These steels don’t seem to be tolerant of slow transitions in the ht process.

This would neatly explain why Spyderco consistently nails ht on so many steels, including less common stuff peaking as high as 69hrc (Maxamet) and the like, while consistently missing optimal range with this family and Elmax, which is very close in composition.

In other words, it’s a crap shoot right now.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ferider

Post by ferider »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:33 am
I simply point out the fact that m390 is more expensive and at one point harder to come by than the other two
If you like 20CV, cherish it (I do). Including the China market, there are _many_ more M390 knives on the market.
ferider

Post by ferider »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 am
This would neatly explain why Spyderco consistently nails ht on so many steels, including less common stuff peaking as high as 69hrc (Maxamet) and
I guess "nailing ht" means optimal for you box and rope cutters ... But: not all of us want knives to be optimized for wear resistance. I do keep my knives sharp, but sharpening is a chore. I'm not particularly fond of chips, so I appreciate M390 a bit softer but tougher (say Hinderer), vs. harder and chippy (say, M390 PM3).
Doeswhateveraspidercan

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:03 am
A.S.O.K.A wrote:

Go get yourself a 20CV PM2 just saw one sell on ebay yesterday for $175.00 then use it and you will see. I do not have negative things to say about M390 or CTS-204P they are both great steel 20CV however chemically similar is better.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

jdw wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:21 am
Correct so we go with what is produced and base opinions from use on that. PM2 in M390, CTS-204P and CV20 same manufacturer, same model.

Yes M390 is Hyped up people know the name or like the letters and numbers combo ???? Either way it is harder to find in Spyderco's and more expensive but not justifiably so. CTS-204P is indistinguishable from it in use and 20CV in my use pulls ahead of both.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The difference between these three steels is likely just a difference in heat treatment.

Based on the examples I have used I find them all to be over hyped. Maybe I haven’t used one with optimal heat treatment but in my use it doesn’t behave all that much different than S30V/S35VN. If I need a stainless with more wear resistance than S30V/S35VN I will just go up to S90V or S110V.

The M390 steels are good steels but they just don’t fill a niche for me and my eyes they are way over hyped.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?