Sun and Moon Chaparall :O !!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Sun and Moon Chaparall :O !!!

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:03 am
Fascinating to see that the Harrier is better build than the Endela.
In what aspects? I skipped the Harrier part of the vid...(and can't watch it right now..)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ferider

Post by ferider »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:05 am
ferider wrote:
In what aspects? I skipped the Harrier part of the vid...(and can't watch it right now..)
Steel back-spacer and peel-ply G10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:05 am
ferider wrote:
Steel back-spacer and peel-ply G10.
Thanks a lot! Though I still prefer the Endela FRN.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

The "sun" side looks like a Japanese flag. I think a blue scale with a yellow dot would be a better combo for the "sun" side.

OTOH, it'd be interesting to have knife scales that are flag patterns. A UKPK with Union Jack scales is an obvious combo.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

rangefinder wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:58 am
OTOH, it'd be interesting to have knife scales that are flag patterns. A UKPK with Union Jack scales is an obvious combo.
They did that - Spyderco Pride - https://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=62
rangefinder wrote:
The "sun" side looks like a Japanese flag. I think a blue scale with a yellow dot would be a better combo for the "sun" side.
I agree with you. Hope this doesn't sound harsh but upon further reflection I think this new Chaparral is a total dud.
When I see all these modern traditionals from Lion Steel, I wonder why can't Spyderco offer this knife with various woods, bone, stag, etc. Or at least Pakkawood and burlap micarta if natural materials are an issue for them.
I suppose we will something like that in the future.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rangefinder wrote:
I probably could agree if solely looking at a single "sun" scale. But as a combo, the one side black and one side white is very cool imho.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

rangefinder wrote:

I thought the same thing about the Japanese flag. Blue and yellow would have been cool. This still looks really nice though.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:38 am
I agree with you. Hope this doesn't sound harsh but upon further reflection I think this new Chaparral is a total dud.
When I see all these modern traditionals from Lion Steel, I wonder why can't Spyderco offer this knife with various woods, bone, stag, etc. Or at least Pakkawood and burlap micarta if natural materials are an issue for them.
The chap is a very thin knife with nested liners. Wood and bone aren’t trivial to machine that thin.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:46 pm
rangefinder wrote:

I thought the same thing about the Japanese flag. I think it looks cool, but it looks like smooth G10 to me, which is a deal breaker. I don't really do gentlemans knives. I like good old textured FRN, peel ply G10, and rough matte canvas micarta.
I really like the style of the sun and moon Chap (way more than the raffir noble, which is not for me), but I am with you that smooth G10 normally is not what I want.

Don't know if you meant, that the Chap generally is a gentlemans knife (or just in smooth G10). In fact it is much more than this (at least for me): A surprisingly sturdy cutting monster, and almost like an independent, very usefull little bushcraft tool, additional to a big knife...
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Normally I'm all for grippy g10 and frn, but lately I've been looking for something a little less performance oriented, something with a nice premium look and feel. Not necessarily a gentleman's folder, but a nice high quality edc knife, not a work knife per se. I was strongly considering a Brouwer, but I think this just cut in line. I prefer backlocks to framelocks, and I prefer thinner blades. Home run for me
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

This is pretty much an automatic buy for me.

Polished G-10 on a Chaparral? Home run!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:57 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:46 pm
rangefinder wrote:

I thought the same thing about the Japanese flag. I think it looks cool, but it looks like smooth G10 to me, which is a deal breaker. I don't really do gentlemans knives. I like good old textured FRN, peel ply G10, and rough matte canvas micarta.

I really like the style of the sun and moon Chap (way more than the raffir noble, which is not for me), but I am with you that smooth G10 normally is not what I want.

Don't know if you meant, that the Chap generally is a gentlemans knife (or just in smooth G10). In fact it is much more than this (at least for me): A surprisingly sturdy cutting monster, and almost like an independent, very usefull little bushcraft tool, additional to a big knife...

I meant the the smooth G10 makes it more of a gentleman's knife than an EDC user for me. I have the Chap LW and love it. It has been in my pocket the most of any knife since I bought it last year.

I really think the Chap LW is a perfect knife. One of my dream knives would be a Chap LW Salt with Neon Glow in the Dark FRN Scales and DLC coated LC200N blades. I'd buy this in PE, SE and CE! I also really want St. Nicks to do a Chap LW Exclusive in the Red FRN DLC 4V combo since we know 4 V can be used in Taiwan (Province Bowie).

I've actually been hoping they would do a Chap with wafer thin coarse Peel Ply G10 scales. Maybe that could be the St Nicks Red DLC 4V exclusive??
Last edited by steelcity16 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Although...I do have a wedding to go to soon and this one would look a lot classier with my suit than my FRN knives. When is this gonna hit the shelves again??? :D
Last edited by steelcity16 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Polished G10 looks quite nice on the Chap... ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
araneae

Post by araneae »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:27 am
araneae wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:49 pm
It looks awesome in person. Some fun stuff in the proto case this year.

Sounds like Shaman fans have a lot coming this year. Waved D'fly is dropping any minute, Endela is real close, wharncliffe D'fly is not quite there yet although I officially requested a hap40 run today.
May I ask: What was said about the Shaman in the vid? Must have missed that...
Not from the video, Eric said there are a number of exclusives in the pipeline.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

ferider wrote:
Fascinating to see that the Harrier is better build than the Endela. I guess the cost reduction that comes with LW builds doesn't matter much in China. :)
That's very debatable. Having handled both, there's no comparison that the better build quality knife is the Endela. The Harrier is nice, but built to different standards,
-Nick

araneae

Post by araneae »

ABX2011 wrote:

There were no less than 3, maybe 4 wood handled Chaps in the case today.
-Nick

toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

araneae wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:47 pm

There were no less than 3, maybe 4 wood handled Chaps in the case today.

:eek: :D :D :D :D :spyder:

Also definitely in for a sun & moon Chappie. Any ideas on pricing yet?
~andrew
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:00 pm
Polished G10 looks quite nice on the Chap... ;)

Sa-weeeeeet
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ABX2011 wrote:

I think I might get this as the more I think about it I probably should have at least one "gentleman's knife" in my collection.

From a scale material perspective, I'd like to see natural Ram's Horn, Antique Green Jigged Bone, natural Abalone, turquoise composite pinecone, and rough matte OD Green canvas Micarta in future Chaps.