Chaparral Raffir Noble - Just Got One - Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unadan

Chaparral Raffir Noble - Just Got One - Question

Post by Unadan »

So I just received my Chaparral in Raffir Noble - good scale design (purchased from Amazon.com - 1st party). This may be nitpicking but there are a couple of small "dings" or scratches on one side (pictured). Would you worry about this or just accept that the material is prone to scratching? Thanks in advance.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-J_6 ... 9mQWYxVktV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-J_6 ... 1uTW5GZlNB
abbazaba

Re: Chaparral Raffir Noble - Just Got One - Question

Post by abbazaba »

That looks like a really nice pattern to me! I'd keep it, but that's for you to decide.

The handles are fairly easy to scratch, and I think mine came with a few. I didn't care because it went straight into my pocket, loose with my keys. It actually held up quite well over the course a few weeks of carry, though there were plenty of light scratches.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I can't really see anything in your pics. Send it back if you're not happy with it. Looks like you got one with a nice pattern. Not always the case. So if it were me I'd probably keep it. If you carry it much it'll eventually get marked up anyway.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I’ve used mine hard in my automotive production job, and the scales have scratched a lot and chipped a little in places. Definitely less durable a handle material than g10 or frn, but beautiful even when beat up.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I don´t see anything that would bother me in your pics.

But generally it´s a bit discrepant, that THE version of the Chap you definitely primarely get for its looks (cause functionally concerning grippiness, durability, resistance to impacts and so on CF and especially FRN are clearly superior imho) is also the version where those looks get scratched up and chipped the easiest.

If you like the knife overall, I´d definitely get the LW / FRN version too. Nearly undestructible handle I´d assume, being steel linered FRN..

/ And I´d be interested HOW you like the knife , if you´d like to share. Not necessarely the handle material, but ergos, blade, lockup and so on.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I can't see any scratches. I would live with it and love it. That is a particularly good looking knife handle.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I've seen some not so pretty ones at my local shop. Those ones do look really nice. I would keep it, but what do I know - I like s30v as a blade steel.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 am
... I would keep it, but what do I know - I like s30v as a blade steel.
I am not sure I get what you mean.. you like S30V over CTS HXP, right?

If that´s the case: CTS HXP in my experience and use is quite similar to S30V, just (a bit) "better" if that makes sense ;) (Though I am really not a steel expert by any means admittedly)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

What I meant is what do i really know about knives. All i read is 'as long as s30v isnt the steel". I like s30v. I like xhp. I just plain like spyderco.

Sorry warstein kind of went.off topic lol basically saying - I'm no expert.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:30 am
What I meant is what do i really know about knives. All i read is 'as long as s30v isnt the steel". I like s30v. I like xhp. I just plain like spyderco.

Sorry warstein kind of went.off topic lol basically saying - I'm no expert.
:D :D Know I get it!!! And I guess I am pretty much like you. Not an expert. Totally fine with S30V. And I dare to assume (just guessing, of course!): Most REAL experts would generally be fine with S30 V as a knife-steel too.. It´s more the middle ground between no expert and expert that is not...
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Lol exactly. Reading alot of your posts. Do tend to agree with your views on blade steels.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I agree that is one of the better patterns I've seen but I do see the low spots you're talking about, doesn't seem to be too bad especially if like they said you plan on using it
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

I ended up returning the knife to Amazon and bought another from DLT Trading. I'll have it this coming Tuesday.