Native Chief Use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Native Chief Use

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

A few members have posted receiving their Native Chief, I looked around the internet for in use videos like member Vivi created with his Manix XL but so far it is just the run of the mill art gallery type showing opinion pieces.

Any actual use stories from those that have received theirs or better yet videos of it in action?

Right now contemplating using my DLT Points on a Manix XL DLC and just eBaying one of these if DLT does not get stock soon.

I know thanks to Vivi the Manix XL performs.
Mako109

Re: Native Chief Use

Post by Mako109 »

Don't you know that knives are only supposed to be used to show off on Instagram posts and YouTube desktop videos? Silly you :p
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Yeah silly ol me. Must have rocks in my head actually using them. :p Just got one on order from DLT. I guess guys make money doing their videos or they are being paid by their boss to.

The best videos are the ones showing a knife in actual use, Spyderco would do well to make some for themselves in my honest opinion.

In use videos are what got me to buy the Bechmade Nestucca Cleaver it is awesome in the kitchen even though it's original intent is for skinning game. I saw it in use and said wow now that is unique gotta get it and glad I did.

Don't get me wrong I think Eric's latest series of videos showing the taking apart and reassembling of the latest liner-less knives is a great move but it is more geared towards alleviating peoples concerns over liner-less construction which is different than taking a Native Chief or a Para3 lightweight and showing it in use.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mako109 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am
Don't you know that knives are only supposed to be used to show off on Instagram posts and YouTube desktop videos? Silly you :p
Sadly, many people believe this to be the case :rolleyes: :mad: Such a waste of amazing tools!

I'm waiting for more videos and usage threads about this knife before possibly pulling the trigger. I like that the size is similar, yet smaller than the Military. Definitely intrigued, but can't wait for some more reviews/videos...other than someone flicking it around at a desk talking about how well it drops shut and centered it is.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

There were a few things that sold me.

#1. This has been a long awaited design and I want to support Sal's decision to make peoples desire come true.

#2. I like that Spyderco (Eric) took the time to make videos to alleviate liner-less construction concerns and show us what we are getting.

#3. It is a nice size right in-between the PM2 and Military.

#4. It has a back-lock which I would love to have on the Military.

#5. I have a PE and a SE native salt and they are two of my favorite small designs so their big brother makes allot of sense to me.

#6. I am a sucker for Choils my index finger auto searches for one.

Only thing I am not in favor of is... Ducks once again.... S30V would have really loved this in Cruwear.

Thanks to Vivi and some others giving me a hard time about S30V my sharpening skills with S30V have improved so it was not a sufficient reason to avoid buying a design in consideration of all the reasons listed above.

I suspect in functionality this will be allot like the Native Salts I own but with allot more blade to work with for slower long draw cuts.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm interested to see what sprint these will be run in first if they sell well enough to warrant one.

I haven't ordered a Chief yet because I just bought a few Pacific Salt back-ups, but whenever I buy one I can make a video.

Bugs the **** out of me that most "knife review" videos are fifteen minutes of a dude flipping a knife open and shut and talking about how he thinks it would do if he ever cut something with it.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Depends on what you mean by use :D
I'm going to use this knife when I get it. Am I going to drive out to the woods and baton logs in half with it? No, probably not. If you want to see some pictures of me opening boxes, packages, mail, etc. I'll post them.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:58 pm
I'm going to use this knife when I get it. Am I going to drive out to the woods and baton logs in half with it? No, probably not. If you want to see some pictures of me opening boxes, packages, mail, etc. I'll post them.
Most the time I'm using my knife to lop off the larger chunks of my dried up toe jam, and then i'll whittle them into small delicate figurines in the shapes of cute animals, snowflakes, or sometimes even christmas themed motifs. If I'm feeling extra creative, I'll occasionally mix the shavings and scraps left over with water and/or grape juice and use my knife to carefully spread the mixture to create layers of shading and textures to accurately emulate classic paintings of old from masters such as Michelangelo, Van Gogh, and the like. I pretty much consider myself a more refined and evolved, younger, better looking version of Bob Ross, just using instead toe jam and my knife.

I've always thought about videotaping and uploading the process in which my masterpieces take form, for some reason I always had up until now a strange, probably unwarranted gut feeling that it just would be a horrible and disgusting idea. I know its absurd that I felt that way... even I'm not quite sure myself why that is. Anyways, I'm so glad I came across this thread, since I think I've realized now there are plenty of people out there who would love to watch my talents in action both for entertainment and education, and to see what incredible potential their knives hold for producing some of the most beautiful art pieces I have ever witnessed! Thanks guys, and do not worry – Ill be sure to return here with some video links ;) :D
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

youmakemehole wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:11 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Most the time I'm using my knife to lop off the larger chunks of my dried up toe jam, and then i'll whittle them into small delicate figurines in the shapes of cute animals, snowflakes, or sometimes even christmas themed motifs. If I'm feeling extra creative, I'll occasionally mix the shavings and scraps left over with water and/or grape juice and use my knife to carefully spread the mixture to create layers of shading and textures to accurately emulate classic paintings of old from masters such as Michelangelo, Van Gogh, and the like. I pretty much consider myself a more refined and evolved, younger, better looking version of Bob Ross, just using instead toe jam and my knife.

I've always thought about videotaping and uploading the process in which my masterpieces take form, for some reason I always had up until now a strange, probably unwarranted gut feeling that it just would be a horrible and disgusting idea. I know its absurd that I felt that way... even I'm not quite sure myself why that is. Anyways, I'm so glad I came across this thread, since I think I've realized now there are plenty of people out there who would love to watch my talents in action both for entertainment and education, and to see what incredible potential their knives hold for producing some of the most beautiful art pieces I have ever witnessed! Thanks guys, and do not worry – Ill be sure to return here with some video links ;) :D

Why doesn't this forum have a barf emoji??!? :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Well now that was disturbing, ah well to each their own I reckon.

Some of the early videos I watched were done by a fellow calling himself smokeeater 908 and he had some nice cut tests with different Paramilitary 2 knives comparing steel cutting rope and stuff like that. https://youtu.be/PlqB16wdBzc

He is the one who got me to buy my first Spyderco a PM2 in S30V around 2012 due to his video's, prior to that I thought Chris Reeve Knives were the end all and be all. Bought and used my first Spyderco PM2 in S30V and sold all the Reeve stuff.

Hey Vivi mind posting the link to your Manix2XL video you shared a while back?

Warning guys it actually got me to buy a Manix2 XL DLC today just remembering the footage.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Vivi wrote:
I'm interested to see what sprint these will be run in first if they sell well enough to warrant one.

I haven't ordered a Chief yet because I just bought a few Pacific Salt back-ups, but whenever I buy one I can make a video.

Bugs the **** out of me that most "knife review" videos are fifteen minutes of a dude flipping a knife open and shut and talking about how he thinks it would do if he ever cut something with it.
Let's say the P4LW and Chief are both in stock at your favorite retailer. You have the money for one knife, but not both. Which do you think you would buy first and why?

For me, it was P4LW all the way. Now, I'm not so sure. Just curious what your thoughts are.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

youmakemehole wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:11 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

🤣
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:07 pm
Vivi wrote:

Let's say the P4LW and Chief are both in stock at your favorite retailer. You have the money for one knife, but not both. Which do you think you would buy first and why?

For me, it was P4LW all the way. Now, I'm not so sure. Just curious what your thoughts are.
I’ve been considering exactly this, myself.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

As for myself I own a Police in K390 and see nothing overly enticing or new about one in lightweight so I would get the Chief which I just did.

Looks like it will be around for a while so will get it later Love VG10
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:07 pm
Vivi wrote:

Chief. Even though the Police 4 is my current favorite folder design, I think I may end up preferring the Chief. The Chief and P4LW are pretty even in terms of corrosion resistance I'd imagine.

The thing that I think will put the Chief over the Police for me will be the lack of a thumb ramp. The main grip on the Police is comfortable for me, but using the choil isn't. I think I might actually use the choil on the Chief.

I like that the Police carries so slim and has a longer blade. If I wasn't thrilled with the Chief I know I could sell it and buy a Police LW, which I know I will love.

I plan to get both but since it's Pacific Salt season I'm in no rush. When it's 110F even VG10 can get some spotting.
:unicorn
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

Mine should arrive on Monday. I'm really looking forward to this one. Generally, I've been holding out for Sprint Runs/Exclusives on many, like with the Endela, but I couldn't wait on this one.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spydesense wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:54 pm
Mine should arrive on Monday. I'm really looking forward to this one. Generally, I've been holding out for Sprint Runs/Exclusives on many, like with the Endela, but I couldn't wait on this one.
Good idea, If I really like mine I will buy a backup. These production runs are going out of circulation fast. Look at the Ikuchi and Smock nowhere to be seen. Glad I bought 2 Ikuchi.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We can't use our knives! We would have to sharpen them! :eek:

I think the P4 LW and NC are two very different knives. The blade designs are different, and so are the handles. I am going for the NC first (later this summer...Coyote Urban first!) and then the Endela. I will get a P4 late in the year, if all things go as planned. I know mine will get some use, but I will likely not be out in the boondocks cutting down trees with them. I will just do everyday tasks and see how they do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I really like this model, and I was a late advocate for it being produced, but I haven't tried to pick one up yet for a few reasons.

1. Knife buying funds are a finite resource. Upon this release I am in the market for a smaller edc folder with more premium materials. I have a couple lightweight natives I really like, and a few g10 models I really like, but I have zero folders I like to carry in titanium or carbon fiber. Usually I am not attracted to those materials, as I like function forward designs, features essential to perfomance as a cutting tool, AND I place a ton of value in blade steel, but I've had an itch for something a little more premium feeling in hand. I'm leaning Brouwer.

2. I'd prefer many other steels to s30v. However, I don't think most models with 4 inch blades and/or models with backlocks will ever be popular enough again to warrant exclusives or sprint runs. I think the military and native are exceptions due to their historic relevance, so I'll be fine settling for s30v.

3. I picked up my g10/k390 police 4 not too too long ago, and really don't feel the need for another knife that size in my rotation. The police 4 gets all the available large knife pocket time at the moment, and I am quite content with that.

I still think I'll get one eventually. as I love the native, and love the look of the chief, it's just not a high priority. My police 4 is a good bit thicker BTE than I would like, so I am interested to hear/see some reports on the chief in use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it comes in SE eventually I feel practically obligated to buy one, since the original Native was my first Spyderco. If it ever comes in a lightweight version and/or a Salt version then I'm definitely sold.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David