Any upcoming Millies? Sprintruns or Exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlexRus

Any upcoming Millies? Sprintruns or Exclusive?

Post by AlexRus »

Hi guys,
Any news on upcoming Millies? Anyone knows?
steelcity16

Re: Any upcoming Millies? Sprintruns or Exclusive?

Post by steelcity16 »

Nada. Nothin. Zero. Zilch. And now they are telling dealers not to release info on upcoming exclusives (or so I was told) so basically if there is one coming we won't know until the dealer has them in hand. Bummer I know. :(

A new CQI version in DLC CPM-CRUWEAR would be a pleasant surprise.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
PStone

Post by PStone »

I’m hoping knifeworks eventually does the gray/black with 52100 Military, like their manix.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:23 pm
I’m hoping knifeworks eventually does the gray/black with 52100 Military, like their manix.
Mmmm donuts...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea I would jump all over that. Love my Manix!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet Military. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:20 pm
Nada. Nothin. Zero. Zilch. And now they are telling dealers not to release info on upcoming exclusives (or so I was told) so basically if there is one coming we won't know until the dealer has them in hand. Bummer I know. :(

You know, I can understand the new Reveal policy, but that sort of thing (no announcements of exclusives until etc) I just can't wrap my head around. Some people might need to, I dunno, prepare their finances, get thine house in order etc. Maybe I'm just reacting badly to an unconfirmed report, but I'm not sure if I like the sound of that. :confused: not everyone can say "oh a new CruWear Military just fell from the sky, ok here's 200 smackers right now..."
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:55 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:20 pm

You know, I can understand the new Reveal policy, but that sort of thing (no announcements of exclusives until etc) I just can't wrap my head around. Some people might need to, I dunno, prepare their finances, get thine house in order etc. Maybe I'm just reacting badly to an unconfirmed report, but I'm not sure if I like the sound of that. :confused: not everyone can say "oh a new CruWear Military just fell from the sky, ok here's 200 smackers right now..."
This exactly!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:23 pm

I know this is a Millie thread but I REALLY want a Native in the Grey DLC 52100 combo! There has already been a 52100 Millie. Give the Native a turn!! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

been a few years since we heard millie 2 updates.....

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

For the record, there NEVER has been a policy to reveal exclusives before the dealer who commissioned them announced them. You’re confusing exclusives with Spyderco sprint runs, which are indeed now adhering to their new reveal policy.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:13 pm
For the record, there NEVER has been a policy to reveal exclusives before the dealer who commissioned them announced them. You’re confusing exclusives with Spyderco sprint runs, which are indeed now adhering to their new reveal policy.
Indeed I regret reacting badly to what is essentially just a rumor, but what steelcity said is not quite the same as your clarification. I reckon it would probably be best if we could get some sort of confirmation of any change in policy (which is what he reported, if I read it right) before engaging in speculation. It's rarely helpful, but tempting, and I give in to it too often myself.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

To clarify my earlier statement, a dealer who had told me about their upcoming exclusives before they were announced many times in the past gave me the below reply when I asked when we would see a Para 3 LW in their exclusive combination.

"steelcity16,
Spyderco has asked that we not release details on future exclusives until they’re ready to drop. I do greatly appreciate steel/model suggestions, as we have quite a list of requests into Spyderco for projects to quote."

So to me, it sounds like the new reveal policy has been extended to dealer/distributor exclusives. I am guessing that this is why the Earth Brown DLC M390 Manix "coming soon" listings were pulled from all of the dealer websites as well.

Lastly, think about the last couple of exclusives. We have had a few days notice, if that. The Pakkawood Ladybug came out of no where. In the past dealers would sometimes announce exclusives a month or more in advance.

So to be clear, I do not know all of the facts, I am just communicating what I was told and what I have observed on the recent exclusives. Take this info with a grain of LC200N. :D
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:12 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

To clarify my earlier statement, a dealer who had told me about their upcoming exclusives before they were announced many times in the past gave me the below reply when I asked when we would see a Para 3 LW in their exclusive combination.

"steelcity16,
Spyderco has asked that we not release details on future exclusives until they’re ready to drop. I do greatly appreciate steel/model suggestions, as we have quite a list of requests into Spyderco for projects to quote."

So to me, it sounds like the new reveal policy has been extended to dealer/distributor exclusives. I am guessing that this is why the Earth Brown DLC M390 Manix "coming soon" listings were pulled from all of the dealer websites as well.

Lastly, think about the last couple of exclusives. We have had a few days notice, if that. The Pakkawood Ladybug came out of no where. In the past dealers would sometimes announce exclusives a month or more in advance.

So to be clear, I do not know all of the facts, I am just communicating what I was told and what I have observed on the recent exclusives. Take this info with a grain of LC200N. :D
Thank you for that, IF it is really the case that Spyderco has made such a policy, then as I said I can't really wrap my head around it.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Right now I have need to buy a large folder. I would buy a Military sprint run, maybe in some nice carbon or tool steel......but please no execusive, I want to buy here in some europien shop.
So maybe some 50100, or CruWear.....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
jdw

Post by jdw »

I agree. It makes no sense to me. If you have bought the rights to the ownership of the exclusive wouldn't you own the marketing rights as well? To be clear, I have no idea how how these things work.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Having a random dealer rep drop a tidbit on the forum about possible upcoming releases is still not an official reveal policy. Do all vendors do this? Plus, don’t lose the forest for the trees here, what exclusives are ever shown in an official Spyderco catalog, mid-year supplement or now Release volume?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:32 am

Having a random dealer rep drop a tidbit on the forum about possible upcoming releases is still not an official reveal policy. Do all vendors do this? Plus, don’t lose the forest for the trees here, what exclusives are ever shown in an official Spyderco catalog, mid-year supplement or now Release volume?

I agree that there was probably not an official reveal policy in the past for dealer exclusives and I understand that they were never official revealed through the Spyderco website or catalog. Some dealers posted their upcoming exclusives on social media, forums, and/or their website weeks or months before the drop date. Some dealers had pre-orders for their exclusives weeks or months before they were in hand. Some dealers just dropped it on their website out of nowhere when they were in stock. Some gave me all the details of everything they had in the pipeline when I asked and some kept it all close to the vest. No real consistency there.

Take a look at the recent exclusives...

A DLT Trading Exclusive DLC 20CV PM2 collector club knife was on eBay before DLT had even announced this knife. Shortly after that thread was made on here they announced it would be dropped in a few days on their website. They probably thought the cat was out of the bag so its cool to talk about it now.

BentoBox dropped their M390 Delica hints on Facebook just a few days before the sale. But last year they put their M390 Para 3 up for pre-sale on 1/5/18, almost two months in advance of the scheduled 2/28/18 ship date.

The Knifeworks Pakkawood Ladybug was in stock and for sale with no heads up at all.

The point I am trying the make, is that based on the reply I posted above from the store owner (not a random dealer rep) who has given me info on all of their upcoming exclusives in the past, it sounds to me like Spyderco has now told dealers to not release any info about their exclusives until they are in hand. So essentially, we are unlikely to know about upcoming Military exclusives until they have arrived at the dealer and/or the collector club knives start hitting eBay/youtube. Hoping this clarifies things. Again, not trying to stir the pot or cause anyone grief here.

P.S. For the record, I do know about a number of upcoming exclusives from conversations with multiple dealers before any of the policy changes. Some really exciting stuff coming, but unfortunately I am sworn to secrecy as well!! :D No Millies that I have heard of though sadly. :(
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Waiting until the last minute to 'Reveal' an expensive consumer product is a poor marketing strategy. Let's face it, none of us on this forum actually NEED another pocket knife. But most of us do need to save up our discretionary money in order to purchase another one.

I think Spyderco should change to a 90 day policy on release notifications. That sounds like a fair compromise. It is better than the old process that drove millenials crazy when it took over a year (or more) to see a model after it appeared in the catalog. And 90 days should be plenty of time to allow for consumer marketing and also give a person enough time to save up enough $$$ for that next Millie! :)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see a k390 military. Not as sure about Maxamet, but I'd probably buy that one just to check it out.

I think the military would be cool in a really tough steel, like 3v, Sleipner, or 52100. I'm still hoping that the Italians convince Sal to sprint something in Sleipner. ;)