ready for a new native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: ready for a new native

Post by Sharp Guy »

As far as I'm concerned, one of the best features of the Native 5 is the refined back lock.

I know we all want different things but there's no way that Spyderco can make every version of each model that someone asks for. Plenty of options with the comp lock in the line up already.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:50 am
As far as I'm concerned, one of the best features of the Native 5 is the refined back lock.
THE best feature for me... ;)

Though I honestly don't know, in which way exactly they refined the lock.. just read that they did, and of course one can easily feel the improvment compared to an Endura/ Delica lock (which are already very good, no doubt).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'm kinda torn on this. I agree that a comp lock and wire clip would be really close to the Sage 5. I also like how all but the blurple G10 / S110V Natives have gone liner-less with thread inserts to mount the clip screws. I wish the N5 LW would use the same hole pattern as the G10 N5, so I could put a deep carry clip on one; or they'd switch to the wire clip on the LWs.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:12 pm
....or they'd switch to the wire clip on the LWs.
That would be a welcome change for me. I don't mind the hourglass clips but I much prefer the wire clips, especially on the LW models.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:46 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:40 am
Native 5 compression lock with wire clip wouldnt hurt my feelings
The upcoming Sage LW (comp lock, wire clip) could be quite a bit to your liking?? At least looking more "native-ish" than for example the Para 3 LW...
The Sage 5 LW looks nice but I already have the Para 3 lw and love it. I am not a fan of the Taichung FRN texture pattern tho
Yes, Para 3 LW and upcoming Sage 5 LW are quite similar in many aspects.
For me both are too small, but if I had to choose I personally would prefer the Sage LW.

Why?: First and foremost: Thinner bladestock (and STILL thick for such a small blade). Then I prefer the leaf shape generally in shorter blades and specifically its presumably a bit sturdier tip. Plus you get a tiny bit more edge in a little shorter closed package with the Sage compared to the Para 3 (though the differences here are too small to be relevant I have to admit).
And I happen to like the Taichung FRN pattern.

Enjoy your Para 3 LW like obviously many people do! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Native already has the best lock made.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 am
The Native already has the best lock made.
Precisely: The best version of the best lock made... :D
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Didn't we just get a new native---the salt?...
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I enjoy use a "hammer" grip with my native for heavy cuts and my experience with doing that with a compression lock is not so great. Try doing som heavy push cutting with a pm2 and the compression locks quickly starts digging in... It would be cool with an axis style lock but there is probably not enough room for that in i native.
/ David