Boye Dents on Backlocks? Yes or No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you had to choose one way or the other, for future models, do you want a Boye Dent?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 53

yablanowitz

Re: Boye Dents on Backlocks? Yes or No?

Post by yablanowitz »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm
Yes. Aside from any practical or safety value, to me they are aesthetically pleasing. They help break up the continuous line along the back of a handle.
You say that as if it were a good thing. That little break in an otherwise smooth line is ugly in my eyes and precisely why I dislike them. I'm in the EvilD camp on this one, I think it's just a solution in search of a problem.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I still like them. I like the looks. I think it gives a more finished look. I like the feel, too. I can live with them or without them, but given a choice I normally will take them. It depends really on the knife, I suppose.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Another vote in favor of the dent. I'm mostly indifferent, but having the tactile feel of the dent helps to positively locate the lock slightly faster than without it. And if it adds a little bit of safety, why not use them? It's certainly not a deal breaker for me either way. I've used Cold Steel's Tri-Ad lock with no issues and they don't feature the dent.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yes to dents! David Boye for Presi-DENT!!! :D

When I was cutting that 5 gallon paint bucket in half I was really bearing down hard on my Native, and then when I made the turn at the bottom the corner of the bucket got wedged in the Spydiehole! The whole time I was trying to get that knife un-wedged I'm thinking to myself, "where is that Boye Dent when you need it??" :D Luckily, I didn't accidentally disengage the lock, but having the dent would have made me a little less nervous in that situation. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red