Boye Dents on Backlocks? Yes or No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you had to choose one way or the other, for future models, do you want a Boye Dent?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 53

cesma

Re: Boye Dents on Backlocks? Yes or No?

Postby cesma » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:59 pm
I'll pass. I get the idea but it seems a little like a solution looking for a problem.
Same opinion here.

Larry_Mott

Postby Larry_Mott » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:27 am

It's totally redundant IMO, it doesn't bother me though so i guess i couldn't care less :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

Tims

Postby Tims » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:50 am

I do like the feel of it under thumb but admit I never felt it offered much functionally.

Woodpuppy

Postby Woodpuppy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:00 am

I don’t particularly dislike them, but on the knives I have with them, the dent is off-center to the scallop in the scale and that bugs me more than the dent’s presence or absence. So I voted no.
Not a collector, but all these knives followed me home!
:spyder: AUS8, M4, H1, VG10, 52100, HAP40, REX45, N690Co, CTS-BD1, CRUWEAR, AEB-L, S30V :spyder:

steelcity16

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 am

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:00 am
I don’t particularly dislike them, but on the knives I have with them, the dent is off-center to the scallop in the scale and that bugs me more than the dent’s presence or absence. So I voted no.

I was reading about the Boye Dent and I believe the off-center aspect people always discuss is by design. Something about the lockbar swing being an arc so it has to be slightly off center when locked. When you depress the lock fully you should see it perfectly centered in the groove. I'll try to find the article.
:spyder: Enjoys long walks on the beach with rustproof lightweight folding knives. Must love Boye Dents and deep carry wire clips. :spyder:

bearfacedkiller

Postby bearfacedkiller » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 am

I believe that Spyderco pays a royalty to David Boye for their use of it. I am unsure how much the Boye dent adds to the cost of a knife but it does add something. It probably isn’t much so I still don’t really care one way or the other but if I was designing a knife I would not put one on it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

steelcity16

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:18 am

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 am
I believe that Spyderco pays a royalty to David Boye for their use of it. I am unsure how much the Boye dent adds to the cost of a knife but it does add something. It probably isn’t much so I still don’t really care one way or the other but if I was designing a knife I would not put one on it.

Yeah, I was wondering how much this adds per knife. Probably not much as you said. I mean they have it on Byrd knives which are supposed to be the budget line. I'd gladly pay it to have the dent on on the Police LW (CQI change for new variations?) and future knives.
:spyder: Enjoys long walks on the beach with rustproof lightweight folding knives. Must love Boye Dents and deep carry wire clips. :spyder:

Woodpuppy

Postby Woodpuppy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:21 am

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:00 am

I was reading about the Boye Dent and I believe the off-center aspect people always discuss is by design. Something about the lockbar swing being an arc so it has to be slightly off center when locked. When you depress the lock fully you should see it perfectly centered in the groove. I'll try to find the article.
I’ll try to remember to check. It’s not much of an arc.
:spyder: AUS8, M4, H1, VG10, 52100, HAP40, REX45, N690Co, CTS-BD1, CRUWEAR, AEB-L, S30V :spyder:

loamy47

Postby loamy47 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:58 am

I voted yes simply because to me it makes the edges of the lockbar feel less "sharp" when using the lock. Still, I realize this may have more to do with spring tension and either way it wouldn't be a make or break on any knife I'd buy.

DSH007

Postby DSH007 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Based on the question, I think a selection should be added to include a vote for "indifferent."

From a safety/design standpoint, I understand why people like the Boye dent. In theory, I too like the added safety the Boye dent offers. That said, I honestly do not feel that any of my backlock knives without Boye dents are less safe than those with them, and I don't really notice any difference in functionality while using one versus the other..

I do like the Boye dent aesthetically on certain knives, but not necessarily enough to say I prefer it over backlocks without one.

I did not vote because, based on the two options, I really do not have a strong preference one way or the other.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..

steelcity16

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Based on the question, I think a selection should be added to include a vote for "indifferent."

I expected plenty of people to be indifferent, but I thought it would be more interesting to make you choose! :) So basically if Spyderco asked you to collaborate with them in the next iteration of the Delica or Endura or Police or whatever, and YOU had to make the call on the Boye Dent, are you adding one or not??? :confused:

I'm all in! Dents for days!!! :D

Brotherscinc0

Postby Brotherscinc0 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:45 pm

I voted “yes” but it really doesn’t matter much to me either way

Woodpuppy

Postby Woodpuppy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:50 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm
DSH007 wrote:

I expected plenty of people to be indifferent, but I thought it would be more interesting to make you choose! :) So basically if Spyderco asked you to collaborate with them in the next iteration of the Delica or Endura or Police or whatever, and YOU had to make the call on the Boye Dent, are you adding one or not??? :confused:

Well it worked. I don’t really care but I voted cause “meh” wasn’t a choice! If doing a collab I’d leave it off.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

araneae

Postby araneae » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:57 pm

I find they offer a slightly more comfortable contact surface and prefer them for that reason.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Just got: Wharncliffe & Waved D'flies

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Vivi

Postby Vivi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 pm

I can go either way. I find closing a lockback one handed in the dark is a touch more intuitive with one, but I have no issue using lockbacks lacking the dent. I was happy with my Police 3 with a dent and I'm happy with my Police 4 with no dent.

Tims

Postby Tims » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:09 am

Tims wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:50 am
I do like the feel of it under thumb but admit I never felt it offered much functionally.
The more I think about it, the more I realise I like a Boye dent. Given the choice, Boye dent every time for me.

DSH007

Postby DSH007 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:50 am

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm
DSH007 wrote:

Oh man.. well if the decision is on ME.. haha I suppose.. gun to my head, yes or no.. I'd have to go with yes, add the Boye dent. But I also wouldn't be too torn up over it if the design team vetoed my decision. ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..

steelcity16

Postby steelcity16 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 am

Tims wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:09 am

The more I think about it, the more I realise I like a Boye dent. Given the choice, Boye dent every time for me.

I know what you mean. The lack of the dent on the Police LW is really bothering me. Lol. Maybe we can ask for a CQI given the 2 to 1 preference for the dent in the poll??

Bill1170

Postby Bill1170 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:34 am

Yes. Don’t know about the safety, but being able to locate the lock release by feel is very good.

ugaarguy

Postby ugaarguy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm really indifferent. I think most knives look better without the dent, but I like the idea of a tactile reference point.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”