Value folders for lefties or ambidextrous

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pantagana23

Value folders for lefties or ambidextrous

Post by pantagana23 »

One thing I appreciated most about value folders line was the design, going from the handle shape, to blade being completely usable (no half finger choil - not a fan of this unless the knife is really short, and even then you need usable blade length more than ever).

Looking at Ambitious, Persistence, Efficient, Tenacious and Resilience, IMO all have a design to drool at.

For years I was waiting and hoping a lefty sprint run would come up, or perhaps a lockback version of these, making it usable for me.

My questions would be to lefties here first (as you would be potential buyers of these), would you be interested in lefty linerlock or lockback version if it came up?

Depending on you response, my question to the guys in Spyderco would be if this would be feasible (please say yes :D ).

Thank you for your time.

Left handers, please support!
BornIn1500

Re: Value folders for lefties or ambidextrous

Post by BornIn1500 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:07 am
no half finger choil - not a fan of this unless the knife is really short
Welcome to the club. :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:54 pm
pantagana23 wrote:
no half finger choil - not a fan of this unless the knife is really short
Welcome to the club. :D
+1
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:

My questions would be to lefties here first (as you would be potential buyers of these), would you be interested in lefty linerlock or lockback version if it came up?
I am not a lefty, but would totally support the lockback-version-idea!! For one it's my favorite and really the same for lefties and righties...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

As a lefty, I’ve never had any issue using a “right handed” lock. As long as I can carry left tip up I’m good. Having said that, I do own a couple “left handed” knives and like the idea of more knives in general,lol! Always interested in a good knife from Spyderco and agree that expanding the value line up is a good idea.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

pantagana23 wrote:
One thing I appreciated most about value folders line was the design, going from the handle shape, to blade being completely usable (no half finger choil - not a fan of this unless the knife is really short, and even then you need usable blade length more than ever).

Looking at Ambitious, Persistence, Efficient, Tenacious and Resilience, IMO all have a design to drool at.

For years I was waiting and hoping a lefty sprint run would come up, or perhaps a lockback version of these, making it usable for me.

Depending on you response, my question to the guys in Spyderco would be if this would be feasible (please say yes :D ).

Thank you for your time.

Left handers, please support!
In the meantime, try the Byrd Cara Cara 2. I've been carrying one for a few weeks and it's held up great.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I've never really had an issue with any right handed lock as a lefty either. However I do kind of hope that somewhere down the line I could purchase a 'higher' end knife specifically for lefties a ti frame lock would be awesome. Paysan only right. Drunken only right. Something like the sage 2 would be amazing made for a lefty.

My lefty PM2 is my favourite knife - s30v and all.
The Smock is close behind.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I know it is not a budget knife, but here is the king of lefty knives:
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Military--7164

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 pm
As a lefty, I’ve never had any issue using a “right handed” lock. As long as I can carry left tip up I’m good. Having said that, I do own a couple “left handed” knives and like the idea of more knives in general,lol! Always interested in a good knife from Spyderco and agree that expanding the value line up is a good idea.
i am the same. i am left handed mostly. i have grown up using liner locks (right handed) and many other types and now i have many more types of locks. i learned how to use the lock left handed and never had an issue before. i have never owned a dedicated left hand knife so i dont know, but like i said i have never had an issue.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:18 pm

I don't really care if it's budget line or not, the design of budget line knives is why I'm asking this.

Para2 is way to big for my needs, and Para3 lefty is what I'm waiting for, but remember Sal saying some time back that it's not in the plans.

I see guys commenting they can use right handed liner/frame locks. Yes, that's not a problem. But wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to either dig your finger from the "wrong" side or open it with right to switch it to your left hand?

And btw, this is the ultimate emperor of knives :D

GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:18 pm

Thanks Doc. I'm now looking into buying that beauty. I've always wanted a military model. Can't believe I overlooked the lefty version.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"