Knife Vs. Pork Covered in Jeans

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knife1

Re: Knife Vs. Pork Covered in Jeans

Post by Knife1 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:18 pm
Well I wasn't willing to sacrifice a pork roast or my jeans, but a roll of paper towels was sacrificed in the name of science :D
ZDP-189 Manbug with Paracord Fob.

Pressure cut. 1.5" deep

Slash. 1" deep
Nice! I like your experiment. 1" depth for a slash is quite good, could do some serious damage to an arm, definitely dissuade an attacker. Now I'm just thinking if I should go with the Manbug or the Ladybug. I've carried both and you can feel the difference in size, the Manbug feels a little but the Ladybug completely disappears in my pocket. Either one I'm going with a fob too otherwise won't be able to get it out if my pocket :). I've heard the ZDP-189 is much sharper than the VG-10, do you find this to be true?
ZrowsN1s

Re: Knife Vs. Pork Covered in Jeans

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Knife1 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:21 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:18 pm
Well I wasn't willing to sacrifice a pork roast or my jeans, but a roll of paper towels was sacrificed in the name of science :D
ZDP-189 Manbug with Paracord Fob.

Pressure cut. 1.5" deep

Slash. 1" deep
Nice! I like your experiment. 1" depth for a slash is quite good, could do some serious damage to an arm, definitely dissuade an attacker. Now I'm just thinking if I should go with the Manbug or the Ladybug. I've carried both and you can feel the difference in size, the Manbug feels a little but the Ladybug completely disappears in my pocket. Either one I'm going with a fob too otherwise won't be able to get it out if my pocket :). I've heard the ZDP-189 is much sharper than the VG-10, do you find this to be true?
I'd go with the manbug because it's a little sturdier than the ladybug. ZDP-189 is a great steel that takes a very nice edge and holds it. VG-10 takes a very keen edge as well, though it doesn't hold it as long as ZDP. ZDP will be harder to sharpen, but if you've got decent sharpening chops I'd recommend that. The knife I used in my demo there easily shaves arm hair. If you can't sharpen at all go for something serrated.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal