Who owns a Hanan?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Who owns a Hanan?

Post by jdw »

I am seriously considering buying a Hanan but I also have serious reservations about it. There have been real issues with Spydie flippers in the past (I had a Sliverax that was so loose you could shake it open) and I was just wondering how smooth and tight the action was on this one? I am not normally a flipper guy but this one is calling to me, in fact I would have probably already have one if it wasn't a flipper. Please give me some feedback folks. I want this knife but $234 is a lot of money for me to spend on a knife that I can't really use. Has CQI worked for Spydie flippers? This one in particular?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Ric

Re: Who owns a Hanan?

Post by Ric »

Hi,

I could shake my Sliverax open.
My mantra 3 if I try really hard also. But it's better than the Sliverax. Maybe CQI kicked in.

Hanan is similar in age than Sliverax.
So I think no real CQI happened.

13:10 at Nicks video:
https://youtu.be/dzvsNDp1oqk

As great Spyderco is and as much as I love them, flippers are not their strength yet. But I am sure they will also master that over time.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

"Who owns a Hanan?"
Not many people :)
Seriously though, it appears to be rather unpopular. I'd wait to see if it ends up on closeout.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I do now.

It's Taichung made, it's a flipper, it's got lots of titanium, it's a spydie. All this was my motivation to get it.

It's elegant, pocket-friendly, has a nice looking and very functional custom-style clip, and a beautiful recurve blade.

It's got a pretty lousy flipping action (100% opposite to my also new Ikuchi), a way too small cutout for access to the lock bar, a quite sharp edge on the (stiff) lock bar, and is a bit too small.

I'll keep it for the moment, but it's a candidate for a parting. I may reinvest the money to get a Tropen instead...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I bought a Hanan on close out special. It's nice for what I paid for it. The detent's a little weak but I'll fix that when I get around too it. No real complaints otherwise. I have no problem accessing the lock to unlock it. Don't recall it being too sharp or stiff either.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

I have owned and used a Hanan since October. My only real gripe is the “thick-ish” grind.

The flipping action on mine was not good out of the box. Pretty much like everybody else has experienced. I used a pin vise and a pointy diamond burr to barely widen the detent hole in the blade by hand. Night and day difference now. It flips perfectly now. Not “perfect” like I’m trying to sell you on the knife...perfect as in the tab loads up exactly as it should before breaking free to open with authority. It’s too bad that the factory didn’t get the detent tuned, because everything else is absolutely beautiful. The fit and finish will knock your socks off, little details like material interfaces And texturing were really done well. The blade finish is also terrific if you are into reflective stonewashing.

The lock tab will nip your finger a few times while you get the hang of opening it, but that’s sometimes the way it goes with the compression lock.

I strongly recommend the Hanan if you are willing to manually tune the detent.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

If you do get one, shop around a bit. They went on closeout pricing last fall and lots of places had them majorly discounted. Bet a few still do.

Edit: Only $149.95 at Knife Center!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:50 am
I have owned and used a Hanan since October. My only real gripe is the “thick-ish” grind.

The flipping action on mine was not good out of the box. Pretty much like everybody else has experienced. I used a pin vise and a pointy diamond burr to barely widen the detent hole in the blade by hand. Night and day difference now. It flips perfectly now. Not “perfect” like I’m trying to sell you on the knife...perfect as in the tab loads up exactly as it should before breaking free to open with authority. It’s too bad that the factory didn’t get the detent tuned, because everything else is absolutely beautiful. The fit and finish will knock your socks off, little details like material interfaces And texturing were really done well. The blade finish is also terrific if you are into reflective stonewashing.

The lock tab will nip your finger a few times while you get the hang of opening it, but that’s sometimes the way it goes with the compression lock.

I had to do the same mod on my Sliverax and it's perfect now. I plan on doing the same thing to my Hanan.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bit of a "necro-thread" but since it's been brought back, I guess I'll give my thoughts.

For me the Hanan is 100% a gentleman's knife, but I've actually caught myself "fidgeting" with it a couple times. The flipping action on mine is actually pretty good and the blade has basically been drop shut out of the box. The compression lock tab has a really bad habit of pinching your finger if you flip light switch method, but with a little bit of "learning how" the pinching can be avoided. Also the flipper tab was hitting my finger when closing the knife, but I learned that if you engage the lock with your finger towards the back of the tab, that can also be avoided.

As a gentlemans knife, I really like it. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

How can making the detend ball hole slightly bigger improve the action? :confused:
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:02 pm
Bit of a "necro-thread" but since it's been brought back, I guess I'll give my thoughts.

For me the Hanan is 100% a gentleman's knife, but I've actually caught myself "fidgeting" with it a couple times. The flipping action on mine is actually pretty good and the blade has basically been drop shut out of the box. The compression lock tab has a really bad habit of pinching your finger if you flip light switch method, but with a little bit of "learning how" the pinching can be avoided. Also the flipper tab was hitting my finger when closing the knife, but I learned that if you engage the lock with your finger towards the back of the tab, that can also be avoided.

Oh geez...didn't realize the OP was from last June!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Hole is wider, detend ball drops a bit deeper when blade is in parking position, you need a little more force to get the blade moving, thus flipping is with a bit more power - is it like this? I hope I explained my thinking well enough...
Michael
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:25 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:02 pm

Oh geez...didn't realize the OP was from last June!
lol It really doesn't matter, it's just funny to see old threads pop up. Might even be a good thing to get the Hanan some more exposure now that it's in the hands of more people. Also it is still available at some places for discontinued prices which, ironically enough, was the last suggestion made in the thread last June. :D
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

archangel wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:28 pm
Hole is wider, detend ball drops a bit deeper when blade is in parking position, you need a little more force to get the blade moving, thus flipping is with a bit more power - is it like this? I hope I explained my thinking well enough...
Yes, the action is smooth but the reason it doesn't flip well is because the detent is to weak.
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 pm
BG-ThatsMe wrote:

I had to do the same mod on my Sliverax and it's perfect now. I plan on doing the same thing to my Hanan.
I may have learned the process from some of your past posts...the hanan was very easy to do and since the lock bar has good spring pressure, it had an immediate improvement.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:27 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
BG-ThatsMe wrote:

I may have learned the process from some of your past posts...the hanan was very easy to do and since the lock bar has good spring pressure, it had an immediate improvement.
Happy I could help if you did. For the record, I'm sure I learned from somebody else's post. I just used the tools I had on hand that I thought would get the job done. Now you have me wanting to dig the Hanan out and fix it. Other projects going on at the moment though
archangel

Post by archangel »

BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
BG-ThatsMe wrote:

Was it rather tricky to do it, or rather easy? How much time did it take you to do it, if you remember?

I ordered some small diamond files yesterday. They're advertised as e.g. key files. I hope they'll be helpful... I'm well aware that once I touch up the detend hole, I can't resell the Hanan as new. So it better be worth it.
Michael
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

archangel wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:06 am
BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
BG-ThatsMe wrote:

Was it rather tricky to do it, or rather easy? How much time did it take you to do it, if you remember?

I ordered some small diamond files yesterday. They're advertised as e.g. key files. I hope they'll be helpful... I'm well aware that once I touch up the detend hole, I can't resell the Hanan as new. So it better be worth it.
It was very easy to do with the tools that I used. Total time was 10-15 minutes.

I used one of the long thinly tapered 1/8” shank diamond burrs from this set, and a pin vise to hold it securely. You want to preserve the crisp edge of the detent hole as best as possible rather than using a wider pointed burr and dishing it out.

SE Diamond Burr Set (20 PC.) - DT220R https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MOI9G6/re ... wEbR0D5C79

Starrett 166C Pin Vise With Insulated Octagonal Handle, 0.050"-0.125" Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00375DEPI/re ... wEb53EMWT7

I used a gentle twisting motion by hand to remove material. Maybe 5 turns with little pressure, then reassemble and test. Repeat until it’s tuned the way you want it. I took mine only to the point where I could no longer shake the blade loose. I could have taken out more material, but I didn’t think it was necessary to strengthen the detent further. It took me only 2 or 3 trials to finish.

Before starting the project, visually confirm the position of the detent ball relative to the hole in the blade. I had about half of the ball pressed into the lockbar, with only the very tip of the ball seated in the hole of the blade. You don’t want to start taking out material prematurely and introduce wobble to your blade when closed and ruin your knife. Your issue could be a ball that’s pressed too far into the lock bar. Different solution if that’s the case.

With the knife closed, I look at the gap between the lock bar and the blade, then at the ball interfacing with the hole. You should see that the ball is only slightly engaged with the hole. I only needed the ball to drop in the hole a couple tenths of a millimeter more to completely change the flipping action, so take it nice and easy and I think you will be pleased with the result.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Detent work is, in the vast majority of cases, a one way street. Do a little, test a lot.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
archangel

Post by archangel »

BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:38 am
archangel wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:06 am
BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

It was very easy to do with the tools that I used. Total time was 10-15 minutes.

I used one of the long thinly tapered 1/8” shank diamond burrs from this set, and a pin vise to hold it securely. You want to preserve the crisp edge of the detent hole as best as possible rather than using a wider pointed burr and dishing it out.

SE Diamond Burr Set (20 PC.) - DT220R https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MOI9G6/re ... wEbR0D5C79

Starrett 166C Pin Vise With Insulated Octagonal Handle, 0.050"-0.125" Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00375DEPI/re ... wEb53EMWT7

I used a gentle twisting motion by hand to remove material. Maybe 5 turns with little pressure, then reassemble and test. Repeat until it’s tuned the way you want it. I took mine only to the point where I could no longer shake the blade loose. I could have taken out more material, but I didn’t think it was necessary to strengthen the detent further. It took me only 2 or 3 trials to finish.

Before starting the project, visually confirm the position of the detent ball relative to the hole in the blade. I had about half of the ball pressed into the lockbar, with only the very tip of the ball seated in the hole of the blade. You don’t want to start taking out material prematurely and introduce wobble to your blade when closed and ruin your knife. Your issue could be a ball that’s pressed too far into the lock bar. Different solution if that’s the case.

With the knife closed, I look at the gap between the lock bar and the blade, then at the ball interfacing with the hole. You should see that the ball is only slightly engaged with the hole. I only needed the ball to drop in the hole a couple tenths of a millimeter more to completely change the flipping action, so take it nice and easy and I think you will be pleased with the result.

Thanks, much appreciated!
Michael