A month with the Para 3 lightweight!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Extra330SC

A month with the Para 3 lightweight!!

Post by Extra330SC »

I wasn't excited for the FRN P3 initially , As many G10 and CF versions fulfill my EDC needs . The classy Carbon fiber S90V and 52100 are my chosen P3 knives to use day to day. My preference for the "solid " feel of peel-ply textured scales over nested liners, Dominates throughout the Spyderco linup. When the choice of FRN /FRCP or G10 presents itself on any particular day...the latter wins 3 times to 1!

Upon receiving the knife, I decided to spend a month using it as the primary blade (usually carry 3) for all cutting chores I may encounter each day.  Instances where I'd normally use bigger , Smaller,  Or tougher would default to the new P3LW.  How would this $91 Golden made blade work in place of its beefier siblings?

After taking the knife apart to inspect the inner workings,  I unleashed the little blade on a plethora of materials and tasks, Encountered in/around the average American home. Double walled cardboard,  Food prep (epicurean cutting board ) , Various pieces of wood, Numerous Zip ties, Wire stripping,  Cloth cutting, Leather trimming,  Fuel injection hose,  Plastic wrap, Shaving super glue, Weeds,  And other non metallic media was cut/sliced by the little terror! The knife was dropped on asphalt,  Concrete, Wood laminate, Dirt, And carpet. ..yeah I'm a menace. 

The knife surprised me in how well it performed! The blade was initially off center OOTB, But moved to the middle mid month after hard cutting into wood!   I still don't care for the "feel" of the plastic handle,  But I can't deny how well it works and the strength it provides. The stop pin recessed in FRN on one side ...no problem!  The compression lock mechanism embedded into the nylon. ..Rock solid! Action with one washer and a FRN boss...Great! Strength and edge retention of BD1N for me personally. ..No issues.  The steel retains a good edge, Touches up easily with Ceramic rods/leather strop, And seems to be decently stainless.

My only real complaint is how slippery the knife is on it's side in hand. The texture is great when the knife is in cutting position. ...but I had it slip a few times on the smooth edges closing the blade and opening during orientation!  This issue may be for me personally,  And in no way dings the knife on a whole.

I enjoyed my time with the Para 3 lightweight and think it's a top pick in the made in USA under $100 dollar range. I won't be keeping it though (gifting it away) and look forward to getting the carbon / G10 knives back in use. 

James
abbazaba

Re: A month with the Para 3 lightweight!!

Post by abbazaba »

Thanks for your thoughts! I hear ya on the Golden peel ply CF :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

While I am not too interested in the Para 3 (too small resp. my "small knife need" is already satisfied with a Delica, BM Minigrip and above all Chap lw), I really like that kind of posts, containing usefull information about a model/steel in real use! Thanks!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

I quite like mine, despite the slippery feel of the handle. It gets extra slippery with dry hands.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Great report! I'm continuously amazed at just how tough our Spydercos are.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:59 pm
Thanks for your thoughts! I hear ya on the Golden peel ply CF :)
Perfect balance between looks and the proper texture IMO.
Wartstein wrote: While I am not too interested in the Para 3 (too small resp. my "small knife need" is already satisfied with a Delica, BM Minigrip and above all Chap lw), I really like that kind of posts, containing usefull information about a model/steel in real use! Thanks!
I have the entire line of Chaparral blades....Haven’t picked up the lightweight! Was thinking about getting one , Removing the clip, And carrying in jacket /sweat pockets!
bgcameron wrote: I quite like mine, despite the slippery feel of the handle. It gets extra slippery with dry hands.
Wasn't expecting how slippery the handle would be , Especially where the contoured plastic provides the most comfort! Like you mentioned. ...not that big of a deal.
bearrowland wrote: Great report! I'm continuously amazed at just how tough our Spydercos are.

Forgot to mention, I let my son borrow the knife during the month , For a few days at work. He loved it ....but he's very hard on a knife. He prefers Spydercos FRN/FRCP because of how much abuse they take on the job.

James
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Nice write-up James!

My P3 LW has been finding its way into my pocket a lot lately too, especially as the weather warms up and I switch over to shorts for the summer.. the reduced weight is appreciated and this knife carries very nicely with the low-profile wire clip. Great knife!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
carrot

Post by carrot »

I've been carrying my P3LW ever since it arrived in the mail. I keep meaning to smooth out the edges of the FRN but otherwise this is one of the most satisfying knives I have ever bought. I love the light weight, the way it carries with the wire clip, and it is a cutting champ though the blade length is relatively short.

I got it with serrated BD1-N and it just zips through double-walled cardboard. Great geometry and handling.