Would anyone else have interest in a Spyderco fillet knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

Re: Would anyone else have interest in a Spyderco fillet knife?

Post by Tdog »

I've been hoping for a dedicated fillet knife from Spyderco for years. 6 1/2 to 7 inch blade with thin stock and not too much flex. Would buy several for gifts if lines and blade geometry were right. One of Phil's designs would definitely work for me. Bring it on.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

fixall wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:28 pm

A serrated fillet knife confuses me. Wouldn't the teeth want to catch on bones? Using a sawing motion is the exact opposite technique you want to use when filleting a fish. You want the knife to flex around the bones, not catch and saw through them... And how do you properly remove the skin from a fish with a serrated knife without ripping holes in the skin?

What am I missing, do I need to be enlightened?

I could see a serrated fillet knife being good for getting through scales on big fish like Yellowfin, but I don't see the value for the every day catch.

Sorry Fixall, my comments regarding wanting a full SE LC200N Catcherman had more to do with my selfish reasons/ideas in using it as more of a general purpose outdoor knife rather than a dedicated fish filleting knife. I would love to see them offer the Catcherman in PE and CE as well as those are likely better suited to filleting fish as you said. A combo edge Catcherman is probably ideal as you could use the serrations on scales and to cut of the head and tail, and then the PE for the precision filleting cuts. If they did a Catcherman 2 Salt with screw construction, wire clip, and SE, PE, and CE LC200N blades, and neon orange FRN bidirectional (or Pac Salt/Spyderhawk style "volcano" would be fine), I'd buy all 3 versions.

For a dedicated fixed blade kitchen filet knife, PE would be better than CE im my opinion as most of us should have a ton of other knives in the kitchen that could deal with scales and beheading duties.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
fixall

Post by fixall »

crazywednesday wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:28 am

Over the years I have realized that people have different interpretations of what it means to fillet a fish.
Ah, that makes sense. This isn't the first time I've been confused in a fillet knife thread, lol.

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:06 am
fixall wrote:

A serrated fillet knife confuses me. Wouldn't the teeth want to catch on bones? Using a sawing motion is the exact opposite technique you want to use when filleting a fish. You want the knife to flex around the bones, not catch and saw through them... And how do you properly remove the skin from a fish with a serrated knife without ripping holes in the skin?

I could see a serrated fillet knife being good for getting through scales on big fish like Yellowfin, but I don't see the value for the every day catch.

Sorry Fixall, my comments regarding wanting a full SE LC200N Catcherman had more to do with my selfish reasons/ideas in using it as more of a general purpose outdoor knife rather than a dedicated fish filleting knife. I would love to see them offer the Catcherman in PE and CE as well as those are likely better suited to filleting fish as you said. A combo edge Catcherman is probably ideal as you could use the serrations on scales and to cut of the head and tail, and then the PE for the precision filleting cuts. If they did a Catcherman 2 Salt with screw construction, wire clip, and SE, PE, and CE LC200N blades, and neon orange FRN bidirectional (or Pac Salt/Spyderhawk style "volcano" would be fine), I'd buy all 3 versions.

For a dedicated fixed blade kitchen filet knife, PE would be better than CE im my opinion as most of us should have a ton of other knives in the kitchen that could deal with scales and beheading duties.
No apology needed. :)

I'd sure like to check out one of those Catcherman. A nearly 5", folding, flexible fillet knife sounds pretty interesting. LCN2000N seems like it would be phenomenal steel for the job too with how well it seems to hold a non serrated edge (and of course it's insane corrosion resistance).

With the upcoming release of the super thing, Z-Cut knives and the rise of BD1N... I think now is the perfect time for Spyderco to re-release a fillet knife or two (and a bread knife for that matter). A six inch and nine inch, plain edge in BD1N would be ideal in my opinion. Maybe a sheath or option for a sheath for the 6 inch so it could be used on the water. The handles from the Z-Cut line would work perfectly too. Durable and no nooks and crannies for gunk to get stuck.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:22 pm
I can’t abide having to sharpen a knife halfway through an task. Depending on the species of fish I cut through bones often enough and sometimes I’d need to sharpen after each fillet cut. That all changed when I started using my Sprig which lets me fillet many fish cutting through bones often as thick as matches between light touch ups when I remember.

So, I’d love a dedicated Spyderco Fillet Knife in Vanax SC, S90V, S110V ... and willing to pay the premium such a knife would demand. :)

Junction does the trick for Barramundi.

Bloke would understand that there is no need for thin knives up my neck of the woods or in Australia other than the whiting, bream places down south.

Had a trifecta A few years back
105 cm Barra
111 cm powertail ( catfish )
129 cm threadfin salmon
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’d buy one. I would like to see some real thought go into the sheath.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Tims wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:09 am
Kydex would work for me ... is likely going to get wet.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
fixall

Post by fixall »

Tims wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:09 am
cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Kydex would work for me ... is likely going to get wet.

CG
I think a perforated nylon or Kydex sheath would be awesome. That way you could just spray it off after use.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

crazywednesday wrote:
Over the years I have realized that people have different interpretations of what it means to fillet a fish.
I agree, for example back when I had a dedicated filleting knife it was a cheap kitchen knife with a rounded tip and not particularly sharp edge.
---------
Tony S
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

fixall wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:05 pm
crazywednesday wrote:

Ah, that makes sense. This isn't the first time I've been confused in a fillet knife thread, lol.

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:06 am
fixall wrote:

No apology needed. :)

I'd sure like to check out one of those Catcherman. A nearly 5", folding, flexible fillet knife sounds pretty interesting. LCN2000N seems like it would be phenomenal steel for the job too with how well it seems to hold a non serrated edge (and of course it's insane corrosion resistance).

With the upcoming release of the super thing, Z-Cut knives and the rise of BD1N... I think now is the perfect time for Spyderco to re-release a fillet knife or two (and a bread knife for that matter). A six inch and nine inch, plain edge in BD1N would be ideal in my opinion. Maybe a sheath or option for a sheath for the 6 inch so it could be used on the water. The handles from the Z-Cut line would work perfectly too. Durable and no nooks and crannies for gunk to get stuck.
At the cost of sounding like JD here I'm going to repeat myself about how awesome the original 1.2mm MBS-26 Catcherman knives were. Super flexible and versatile for lots of uses in the kitchen, on the boat or out camping. I actually brought mine today to work. We're holding a cookout and I knew food prep was in the plans for my morning. The blade works terrific for onion, tomatoes and I even cut watermelon as well as cantaloupe. The serrations are far enough back to not affect performance in my uses, but they are handy when you run up against something more fibrous. I am looking forward to trying some Z-Cut knives though.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I am patiently waiting on them to make a Catcherman in PE LC200N. I would take an LC200N filet knife, too!

As far as serrated goes, it's good to have a serrated knife close by, but PE is perfect for 99% of my fish cleaning needs.

On a side note, I recently got to test drive an SE Caribbean. It was fantastic, had a mean edge and was as tough as PE. Serrations are still wicked sharp after a full day of work, purposely using it more than I normally would my PE.

My Pacific Salt is now in the for sale pile. H1 can't compete, it's like a butter knife in comparison. I'm now on the lookout for an SE Caribbean ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson