Spyderco Small Knife For Self Defense?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

Re: Spyderco Small Knife For Self Defense?

Post by SF Native »

I actually have taken a self defense class with my teenaged daughter the last few years. The first line of defense is don’t be in a bad situation. Don’t go there or run. Using your voice and carrying yourself with confidence is a big plus. Oddly, getting uncomfortably close to a potential attacker really can put them on the defense. Took a neck chop to the throat from a teen by accident and it hurt like a mofo for weeks. Yes, a knife would be my last resort.
jdw

Post by jdw »

These threads come up all of the time and I even replied
to this one earlier but I don't take them seriously. SF Native is dead on. Be aware of your surroundings and attempt to stay out of bad situations, use your head if you find yourself in one, and safely leave the area if you can.... Common sense,...most people here are neither trained for, nor looking for a knife fight.....It also seems that a pretty good portion of board members are armed. If I was really scared, I carry a .357 in my boot, but that's not what the OP asked. It"s just fun to play along with the question.
Last edited by jdw on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

If you can track one down, a Lava might be what you’re looking for. I’ve got the blue g10 version and it’s a great little knife. Also the Rhino is a nice lightweight small Spydie that after the addition of a butterfly brand deep carry clip is very nice to carry and use.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

You mentioned Mike Janich, if I was you I would research more about what he suggests as far a a suitable knife. One thing for sure he says that a plain edge is preferable. Serrated edge might get caught up in loose fabric. Sal says it best, you want something you can grip and not drop when the SHTF.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Carried my Manbug today because I was going somewhere I couldn't carry anything bigger. I didn't bring it for self defense, I brought it because I always carry a knife :D

I must say though I've got a thick paracord fob on it and I can get a solid four finger grip on it. It wouldn't be my first, second, or third choice for defense.... but you could do real damage with it. I could mount a much stronger defense with it than I could with just empty hands.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

Also keep in mind that if you are forced by circumstances to use a knife on someone, most likely your adrenaline will be pumping and your fine motor skills will be less than optimal, even if you have had some training. Proper training does help, but does not make someone immune to the affects of adrenaline. This is especially important to consider with an ultra-small knife.

Jim
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The answer has already been given.

The Swick is the best of the small defence knives made by Spyderco. The finger hole makes it near impossible to be taken and with no clip it disappears into any pocket.

That said, I prefer the micarta Street Beat. It's small enough to be concealed, has a very secure grip and works great for other tasks besides slicin' fools.

Anything from Perrin or Janich is gonna get the job done. I slightly prefer Perrin, but only because his designs fit me better. I'll hopefully be ordering a custom La Griffe soon.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm by no means an expert on SD but I've never liked the idea of my fingers being inside a ring on a weapon. Seems like a great way to break that finger.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:52 am
considering a Cricket for self defense.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Look at the Rhino.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 pm
zhyla wrote:
That's a cricket? Geeezum That suckered is huge,
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 pm
zhyla wrote:
Lol. Is that thing real? Makes me hungry just looking at it, like a big land prawn.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

redhawk44357 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:52 am
That's a cricket?
Tims wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:40 am
Lol. Is that thing real?
For sure! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jdw

Post by jdw »

Dang. Is everything in Australia over-sized, bites, stings, or poisons you?
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:23 pm
I'm by no means an expert on SD but I've never liked the idea of my fingers being inside a ring on a weapon. Seems like a great way to break that finger.
^^^I have the same reservations. It's one of the reasons that I have never really understood the Karahawk.
--Wovoka
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Knife1:

I also received your e-mail regarding this question, but thought I'd answer here to contribute to the discussion.

Years ago, I used to do my "Pork Man" demo with a Cricket to show the cutting power of a small blade. While the Reverse S did a great job of demonstrating how devastating a small blade can be, the other design attributes of a Cricket make it less than ideal for self-defense. Specifically, it's difficult to draw and open quickly and doesn't offer a full grip that allows cutting leverage and the management of impact shock when you cut with power.

The smallest knife that offers a four-fingered grip and reasonable opening speed is the Dragonfly. The soon-to-be-released Dragonfly with Emerson Opener would be an even better choice. The only down side is the lack of a trainer. That's why the Delica 4 Lightweight is still one of my favorites. If necessary, it can be "snubbied" to meet extreme blade-length limitations, yet there is still a trainer to allow you to do the skill training that is really needed if you're going to rely on any knife for self-defense.

A small knife can definitely be a viable weapon, but only if it is wielded with skill. That skill doesn't have to be extreme, but it does have to be the result of actual training. If you're not actually going to train in the use of a weapon (any weapon), don't carry it.

And, yes, awareness, avoidance, deescalation, and boundary setting--all the "soft skills" of self-defense, should all be applied before any physical skills. If you're not going to do any physical training, be extra aware and vigilant, as those skills become your only defense.

Stay safe,

Mike
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That Kahr Arms Delica is sweet!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:23 pm
The "ring" on the Swick is based on the index-finger hole pioneered by Fred Perrin. Fred developed the hole when he was a scaffolding worker in Paris. In that job, he worked with a lot of rope and ties to bind the joints of the scaffolding together. Dropping a knife on a worker or pedestrian below was a real danger, so he incorporated the round hole as a retention feature. He quickly found it was also a major advantage in the self-defense application of the knife, as it helped you maintain your grip in dynamic circumstances. Fred's revolutionary design became the central feature of his famous La Griffe design, which has been made by Cold Steel, Emerson, and is currently available in a broad range of Fred designs from Max Knives.

Sadly, a number of other makers and companies who came along much later--and who seem to have no concept of history, giving proper credit, or even the linear nature of time--have tried to claim credit for this innovation. To Sal and Spyderco's credit, they not only openly recognize Fred's influence on the Swick designs, they pay Fred a royalty for its use. True class...

From a break-your-finger standpoint, the Perrin hole is way different from a karambit ring. The hole provides a 360-degree element of control over the knife and reinforces a conventional grip. Its position in the handle also does not allow it to be interpreted as a type of metal knuckle. The karambit ring also provides grip security (its original purpose)--until you start spinning the knife and doing extended cuts. At that point, the leverage of the knife can definitely work against your index and middle fingers and easily break things. The position of the ring also allows it to be used as a striking surface (a tactic taught in some karambit systems), which leaves the knife open to interpretation as metal knuckles under some state laws.

Stay safe,

Mike
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:02 am
If you're not actually going to train in the use of a weapon (any weapon), don't carry it.
And there is the big gold nugget of truth in this thread!

As EvilD has said, it is just a talisman otherwise.

People also have odd ideas about what "training" is. It is not education. It is repeating something and practicing a skill until it is automatic under stress. It is not classroom learning or watching videos or having somebody show you something.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:02 am
Dear Knife1:

I also received your e-mail regarding this question, but thought I'd answer here to contribute to the discussion.

Years ago, I used to do my "Pork Man" demo with a Cricket to show the cutting power of a small blade. While the Reverse S did a great job of demonstrating how devastating a small blade can be, the other design attributes of a Cricket make it less than ideal for self-defense. Specifically, it's difficult to draw and open quickly and doesn't offer a full grip that allows cutting leverage and the management of impact shock when you cut with power.

The smallest knife that offers a four-fingered grip and reasonable opening speed is the Dragonfly. The soon-to-be-released Dragonfly with Emerson Opener would be an even better choice. The only down side is the lack of a trainer. That's why the Delica 4 Lightweight is still one of my favorites. If necessary, it can be "snubbied" to meet extreme blade-length limitations, yet there is still a trainer to allow you to do the skill training that is really needed if you're going to rely on any knife for self-defense.

A small knife can definitely be a viable weapon, but only if it is wielded with skill. That skill doesn't have to be extreme, but it does have to be the result of actual training. If you're not actually going to train in the use of a weapon (any weapon), don't carry it.

And, yes, awareness, avoidance, deescalation, and boundary setting--all the "soft skills" of self-defense, should all be applied before any physical skills. If you're not going to do any physical training, be extra aware and vigilant, as those skills become your only defense.

Stay safe,

Mike
Which Dragonfly would you pick? The hawkbill or the regular blade?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050