Spyderco Small Knife For Self Defense?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knife1

Spyderco Small Knife For Self Defense?

Post by Knife1 »

I have a civilian and delica for self defense but after carrying each one for a couple weeks during the summer I find them that they take too much space and weigh too much for my summer activities. As such, I've actually been leaving behind these knives most of the time. I've therefore been thinking about carrying something very small that way it's always with me. Because what good does a civilian do if it's going to be at home in the need arises? I've been thinking either the Cricket or the Ladybug. Is one of these two better over the other? I read a comment about Michael Janich doing a "pork man" demonstration through a leather jacket using the cricket but can't find the video. But how would the ladybug stack against the cricket for self defense? Also, what's considered better for self defense a plain edge or a serrated edge? Because the civilian has a serrated edge but the delica and yojinmbo both have plain edges and are also highly regarded for self defense. Finally, is a locking blade a must for self defense or will a slipjoint do?
SaltSerious

Re: Spyderco Small Knife For Self Defense?

Post by SaltSerious »

I would consider a dragonfly salt hawkbill serrated. A lot of utility and in a pinch a formidable weapon.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Those are pretty small for self defense. But certainly better than nothing. And with a lanyard(fob) you can get a firm grip on the three finger knives. The G-10 Dragonfly might be a good option as it has liners and will be sturdier than the linerless frn models. There is also a Pakawood handled Ladybug with Hap40 steel at Knifecenter. If you go the FRN route there are tons of dragonfly, manbug, and ladybug options. The hawkbill dfly and ladybug are nice. ZDP189 Manbug can be a pocket scalpel if your sharpening skills are there.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It really doesn't take much of a blade size wise to cause some damage. The big thing is that you have to be even closer to whoever has you worked up enough to want to slice. Knife fighting for self defense is nasty business.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I know nothing about self defense with a knife, but as I am big Chap lw fan: Maybe it´s thin (2mm) bladestock would be good for sd??? At least it bites into wood amazingly well compared to thicker knives, and is also a great slicer when it comes to food prep, meat being no exception. But really, I am just quite blindly guessing here, no sd expert at all!
Just thought: If a DELICA is too big for you already, there are not too many choices left.

One thing that´s probably not too good for SD when you consider the Chap: Due to its very light blade its not the fastest when it comes to opening. At least in my use my heavier backlocks swing out faster and easier when I flick them open.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Knife1,

Welcome to our forum.

In my opinion, the most important thing about a knife for self defense is that you have it with you when you need it. The second most important thing about a knife used in self defense is that you don't drop it.

Fist line of defense is get away. 2nd line is some type of non-lethal spray.

I recommend a Swick, but they take up more space than a Delica.

sal
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

They are tiny, but I can definitely see the Cricket doing some real damage in a SD situation with that reverse S.. if you can manage to hold onto the thing. Maybe a Cricket with a lanyard attached to enhance grip?

That said, any knife that I would select as a dedicated SD knife, I would want to be able to get a full grip on.. and I can't really think of many circumstances where I'd consider a Delica too big..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unless you practice with it, it's more or less a talisman anyway so whatever makes you feel more safe and confident. Realistically anything you carry can be used for SD if you're desperate enough.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have jogged thousands of miles with a Delica clipped inside the waistband of gym shorts. I have never found a Delica cumbersome to carry and I wouldn’t want to go smaller for SD.

The Cricket is great but I don’t see how you could keep a grip on it in that scenario. Same with a Ladybug.

Maybe look at a Dragonfly or a Chaparral LW? Both offer a decent grip for such small knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Dragonfly hawkbill might be a good option as you can actually hold on to the knife. The Ladybug comes in that format, as well, but it is at best a 3 finger knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Delica too heavy so considering a Cricket for self defense. Are we actually taking this thread seriously?
James Y

Post by James Y »

Small knives can work, but it depends on the person(s) involved and the situation, and you'd darn well better know what you're doing. I remember once reading about a bodyguard who was protecting a famous client who used a Ladybug, kept hidden in his fingers, to subtly poke the hands/fingers of the client's fans who reached out and tried to touch or grab her. Not the same as a SD situation, though, and not meant to injure but to dissuade mostly harmless people.

As others have mentioned, I personally cannot see where a Delica is too big or would weigh too much for daily activities. But if it is too much, then I'd take a Dragonfly over a Ladybug.

In addition to what Sal has already mentioned, if you carry a knife for SD purposes, other important points are that if it ever becomes unavoidable/absolutely necessary, that you know how, where and when to use it; and that you have the will to do so. Because some people, when the SHTF, cannot bring themselves to actually cut (or strike or shoot, etc.) another human being, even if they've had some training and the danger is imminent. It also pays to study up on your laws regarding SD.

Jim
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

My Tasman Salt 2 SE weighs in at 2 ounces on my kitchen scale, the same as my Chapparal LW. My Delica 4 in ZDP189 weighs in at a whooping 2.3 ounces. I do not carry a knife for defense, but will use one as a last resort if need be and figure two ounces is not that much to carry for a 60 something karate man want a be, and I might need to cut something anyway.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Isn't the Lil Matriarch designed for SD? Basically a Delica with an SD purposed blade, no? It is still available at Bento Box Shop.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Knife1 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:42 pm
I have a civilian and delica for self defense but after carrying each one for a couple weeks during the summer I find them that they take too much space and weigh too much for my summer activities. As such, I've actually been leaving behind these knives most of the time. I've therefore been thinking about carrying something very small that way it's always with me. Because what good does a civilian do if it's going to be at home in the need arises? I've been thinking either the Cricket or the Ladybug. Is one of these two better over the other? I read a comment about Michael Janich doing a "pork man" demonstration through a leather jacket using the cricket but can't find the video. But how would the ladybug stack against the cricket for self defense? Also, what's considered better for self defense a plain edge or a serrated edge? Because the civilian has a serrated edge but the delica and yojinmbo both have plain edges and are also highly regarded for self defense. Finally, is a locking blade a must for self defense or will a slipjoint do?
Get a Kahr Arms Delica. Since they’ve been discontinued by Kahr, you’ll have to buy on secondary market. Here’s the link to the pork man video using the Kahr Arms Delica which is a great video: https://youtu.be/FgTV8KKNQ3w
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Accutronman wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm
Knife1 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:42 pm
Get a Kahr Arms Delica. Since they’ve been discontinued by Kahr, you’ll have to buy on secondary market. Here’s the link to the pork man video using the Kahr Arms Delica which is a great video: https://youtu.be/FgTV8KKNQ3w
If you want a Kahr Arms Delica here is the next best thing (almost the same thing really lol) https://www.knivesplus.com/modified-spy ... grind.html

For me the smallest knife I feel comfortable caring for SD is the Tasman, it really is a great lightweight SD blade.

Personally I would never attempt to defend myself with a cricket or a ladybug but to each their own, something is always better than nothing.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:54 am
Isn't the Lil Matriarch designed for SD? Basically a Delica with an SD purposed blade, no? It is still available at Bento Box Shop.
Yes, and it’s a fantastic knife. Works pretty good for edc too. Problem is that the s curve blade makes it even wider in the pocket. The dragonfly sounds like a good call. Hawk or otherwise.
Last edited by SF Native on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdw

Post by jdw »

^^^+2 on this. The lil Matriarch is far more practical for EDC than it looks and it's a great blade shape for SD.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

You will be the SD weapon, not the knife you choose.

Are you skilled enough? Quick enough? I am no longer, and doubt I ever really was, even with military training.

I think you need to be like Mike (Janich) to be an SD weapon. Otherwise, as Evil D has said, your knife is just a talisman.

I’m now inclined toward other actions, including Sal’s sound get-away/non-lethal ones.

Now that I acknowledge there are places I ought not be, I actively avoid them, if I know about them, as I generally do within the reach of my everyday life. Avoidance means I need not get away or deploy a spray (or Effie, my new Cairn Terrier puppy).

If I’m on strange ground (and therefore carrying a concealed firearm) and stumble into a dicey encounter, I will do as Sal suggests.

Failing that (and in the gravest extreme that Mas Ayoob has soberly defined), I will be yelling “Stop!” repeatedly, until I must shoot to stop, repeatedly.

My whatever-sized Spydie will still be pocketed. Why? Because I don’t want to be stabbed with it.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
benben

Post by benben »

Since the Dragonfly has been brought up several times, in that size knife I'd definitely rather have a serrated Lil' Native over a Dragonfly! Hardly any difference in the blade size but a world of difference in overall stoutness, and grip.

But, I'm with wrdwrght, I'm not Mr. Mike Janich, not trained at all in knife fighting! But I shoot quite often and train for terrible situations when I can which isn't nearly enough! Like others have said, avoid sketchy places even though we all know trouble can be anywhere!

If I were to present a knife, you can bet it's a scary situation and my very last resort!