Spyderco App

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Spyderco App

Post by p_atrick »

In the latest Byte email, Spyderco mentioned an app that they will soon be releasing (first on iOS, then on Android). From the email:
Spyderco is extremely proud to announce the upcoming release of the all-new Spyderco app! This custom-designed Smartphone application includes a variety of functions to give you the ultimate Spyderco experience, including enhanced new-product notifications, an interactive steel chart, and even a “heads up” function that lets you know when you’re approaching a high-volume airport where knife carry is restricted. This free app will be released for Apple devices first, with an Android version following soon thereafter. Follow our social media channels for the official release announcement when the app goes live!
I'll be interested to download this once it is available.
Naperville

Re: Spyderco App

Post by Naperville »

Sounds excellent! I'm looking forward to the Android version.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Very cool indeed. I wonder what they’ll include in it?

It would be nice if they included some sort of database of all the knives they’ve ever made along with the ability to tick off which ones you own/owned.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:18 pm
Very cool indeed. I wonder what they’ll include in it?

It would be nice if they included some sort of database of all the knives they’ve ever made along with the ability to tick off which ones you own/owned.
Gotta catch 'em all! Lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Read my lips. No new apps. Especially not ones that are plugged into your location and identify you as a knife owner /user. I’ve been reading up on “smart” phone security, it’s pretty grim...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

An easy entry to the forum via the app would be nice. One click and in.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

100% down for this! I imagine it could be very useful to run larger surveys on new sprints!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm excited for it! Whenever I use the forums through the Safari mobile app on my phone it never keeps me logged in. I'm hoping the app allows users to stay logged into the forum.
:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

A must-have for 99% of us, although I doubt that it will contain much information that those of us who are here frequently don't know already... ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:54 pm
Read my lips. No new apps. Especially not ones that are plugged into your location and identify you as a knife owner /user. I’ve been reading up on “smart” phone security, it’s pretty grim...
On iOS, you can grant the app access to your location. You typically see three options - all the time, never, or when the app is running. You can always turn off background data as well. Of course, there is no real reason to require any personal (or worse, any personally identifiable information). Let's hope that the app is respectful of our privacy.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

archangel wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:54 pm
A must-have for 99% of us, although I doubt that it will contain much information that those of us who are here frequently don't know already... ;)

As one of those rare individuals whose phones are only capable of making phone calls, I'll be in that 1%.

Woodpuppy wrote: Read my lips. No new apps. Especially not ones that are plugged into your location and identify you as a knife owner /user. I’ve been reading up on “smart” phone security, it’s pretty grim...

Pretty sure Apple and Google have already figured that out from your web browsing history, online purchases, social media usage, and emails.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Outlaw Pete

Post by Outlaw Pete »

Looking forward to the app being released.
Well done Spyderco on leading from the front yet again.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:52 am

Pretty sure Apple and Google have already figured that out from your web browsing history, online purchases, social media usage, and emails.
Lmao isn't that the truth.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Looking forward to trying it out!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. This is VERY COOL. Way 2 Go Spyderco!!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:54 pm
On iOS, you can grant the app access to your location. You typically see three options - all the time, never, or when the app is running. You can always turn off background data as well. Of course, there is no real reason to require any personal (or worse, any personally identifiable information). Let's hope that the app is respectful of our privacy.
I’ve had my iPhones locked down as much as one can and have them still be useful. But apps are there to mine data; they do it right under Apple’s nose, or with their full knowledge. I’m sure Spyderco would be respectful of our privacy, but who’s the app developer? They’re in it for the data they can mine and sell. Personal data security is a labor intensive thing, and I don’t find the tech end of things particularly enjoyable. It’s unfortunate but necessary that we have to be so careful.

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:52 am
Woodpuppy wrote: Read my lips. No new apps. Especially not ones that are plugged into your location and identify you as a knife owner /user. I’ve been reading up on “smart” phone security, it’s pretty grim...

Apple yes, but google will have a very dated profile of me. I dropped them like the rotten potato they’ve become quite some time ago. DuckDuckGo baby. Not just a search engine; they now have a browser too.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Be sure and wear your tin-foil hat when you use the App.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I really dont care what they know about me lol.
Just as long as they dont steal what little money I have.
I cant wait to get this Spydie App.
Although, I'll have to wait because I use Android.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:38 am
Apple yes, but google will have a very dated profile of me. I dropped them like the rotten potato they’ve become quite some time ago. DuckDuckGo baby. Not just a search engine; they now have a browser too.

So, no Facebook, no YouTube?

Even so, unless you have it blocked (in which case a number of sites just won't work), if you look carefully when darn near every web page you visit is loading one of the pages that load in the background is Google Analytics.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

No Facebook, though I do occasionally wind up on YouTube. The more I learn, the less I want to use the internet. I have been accused of Luddite tendencies...

Hey, I’m not trying to dominate this conversation with my grumpy attitude. For those excited about the app, I hope it’s a great thing!