A plea to Spyderco:

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: A plea to Spyderco:

Post by zhyla »

I’m all for thinner edges. For most people I don’t think this makes the edge less sturdy. It makes a huge difference in cutting ability though. Thin edges should be the default.

Most modern knife enthusiasts don’t have a good reference for what an optimal slicing geometry is or what it can do. You can’t tell the difference slicing paper.

For those that think regrinds or “DIY” are the answer: no! A lot of knives have nice blade finishes and logo etching that I don’t want ground off.

Honestly I think this is something Spyderco isn’t putting effort into. It seems some factories crank out thin edges and others don’t. That makes me think they don’t specify the grind to that level of detail.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 pm
How can Spyderco cater to their performance-obsessed aficionados and offer super thin grinds without compromising the integrity of their product line as a whole? Simple!

viewtopic.php?t=79799

This is a great idea and garnered overwhelming support. I'd love to see this happen!
Hey I remember that thread :D

Yep, I still think the only way you're going to see super thin BTE thicknesses on anything besides a Mantra or Chaparral is a flash batch of thin ground blades. The knife community is just starting to realize geometry cuts, I don't think the public is there yet.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi MacKinne,

Welcome to our forum.

Wayne Goddard and Cliff Stamp really opened my eyes to the value of thin edges. However, it is still a small number of knife afi's that have that understanding. Also, it is far easier to thin out an edge, than to make one thicker.

I guess we could consider an Afi edge junky performance model? For the purpose of discussion only, what to you would be the ideal thin edge version?

sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m pretty happy with my EDC para3s with 30 degree included edge and no microbevel. For a “slicer” a longer blade makes sense to me. Proficient, waterway; kitchen & utility knives. Endela?
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gslben13

Post by Gslben13 »

PM2 in M4 - no DLC 😁
PStone

Post by PStone »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:50 am

I guess we could consider an Afi edge junky performance model? For the purpose of discussion only, what to you would be the ideal thin edge version?

sal
We already have a thinned out delica in the hap40 versions. So thanks much for that!

I don’t know what the ideal thin edge version for me would be. Just something LW with thin stock and a very high hollow grind that would allow me to maintain my BTE thin-ness through repeated sharpenings. A smaller folding model would surely find its way into more hands. So perhaps a version of the sage. Nice tall blade with room for the high hollow. 3” blade legal more places. Lw molds exist for the 5. Although if we are only discussing then make it a sage4 with a lockback and linerless G10.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:27 pm
sal wrote:

sal
We already have a thinned out delica in the hap40 versions. So thanks much for that!

I don’t know what the ideal thin edge version for me would be. Just something LW with thin stock and a very high hollow grind that would allow me to maintain my BTE thin-ness through repeated sharpenings. A smaller folding model would surely find its way into more hands. So perhaps a version of the sage. Nice tall blade with room for the high hollow. 3” blade legal more places. Lw molds exist for the 5. Although if we are only discussing then make it a sage4 with a lockback and linerless G10.
I like your thinking on that! I might prefer a longer blade, but for feasibility the bigger audience is better.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yeah, the wharnie hap40 delica especially is pretty slicey.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:

sal

A super duper thin Delica slicer would be interesting. How about an LC200N Delica Salt with the Delica tip rather than the Salt 2 tip? Ground as thin as possible.

Or an LC200N Chap LW Salt ground even thinner than the XHP blade??

These would be awesome little portable paring/steak knives.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

For me one of the lightweights makes the most sense, a real user.

Dragonfly, Para 3, Police, Delica, Endura, Native, Endela.

With a thin blade there's no reason for a heavy duty handle other than aesthetics.

A REX45 Native LW or Para 3 LW @66HRC and .008BTE @15DPS? Take my Money.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

Thinking more about Sal’s comment regarding MrGoddard’s influence in his value of a thin edge, perhaps a C16 Goddard would be a good candidate for an afi sprint. The handle could stay the same and still use thinner stock. And raise the hollow grind. It’s also a Seki model so k390 could be an option too.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gslben,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

sal wrote:
Hi MacKinne,

Welcome to our forum.

Wayne Goddard and Cliff Stamp really opened my eyes to the value of thin edges. However, it is still a small number of knife afi's that have that understanding. Also, it is far easier to thin out an edge, than to make one thicker.

sal
Stretch in Cruwear :)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Something from Golden. My vote is the PM2.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:

sal
Anything with moderate to thin blade stock. Doesn’t need to be fancy — a Delica would do just fine.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

AEB-L is said to be able to take very thin edge geometries.
VG-10 should work fine; lots of extremely thin kitchen knives are made of VG-10.
A fine-grained, low carbide PM steel such as CPM 3V or 4V would probably work well too.

As far as model, I'd like to see any of these:

Seki: Delica
Golden: PM2
Taichung: FRN Sage
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

sal wrote:
Hi MacKinne,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Let me begin by stating I am a huge Spyderco fan, and that roughly 90% of my knives are Spydercos. I am simply advocating for what I view as an improvement to the knives I love to buy and use, and in no way mean to denigrate the brand. I should have prefaced my original post with that.

Also I want to make sure we're all on the same page here. Blade stock thickness, edge angle, and behind the edge thickness all affect cutting performance(how much pressure is required to execute a cut), but what I am primarily concerned with here is raising the primary grind angle so the blade is thinner towards the apex.

I think increasing the primary grind angle so the blades end up around .0015 behind the edge is a strict upgrade with no downside, but I definitely wouldn't mind a "slicer option" or something where you could pay an extra 20% for a more aggressive primary grind. If I had to choose one model though, for me personally I'd choose a caly 3.5 or something, but if I were Spyderco I'd go with a PM2 to ensure the maximum number of people buy them, try them, and love them.

Thanks for entertaining the idea.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

A Manix XL in stable, higher carbide steels like 10v, 4v, m4, or 20cv, ground 15dps and .008-.010 BTE would be an amazing blade for people who value cutting performance over indestructibility. Fairly thin stock combined with a wide blade already make the Manix XL a great slicer, and a more acute primary grind would complement the design immensely.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Baron Mind,

The downside is non afi's twisting the edge and chipping it. Any of our knives will take a thin edge and a knowledgeable knife person can handle that. But not all of our customers know as much as knife afi's and we get them back broken. That's why we had to strengthen the tips on the Endura family models.

sal
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:46 pm
Hi Baron Mind,

The downside is non afi's twisting the edge and chipping it. Any of our knives will take a thin edge and a knowledgeable knife person can handle that. But not all of our customers know as much as knife afi's and we get them back broken. That's why we had to strengthen the tips on the Endura family models.

sal
That is fair! Thanks again