The backup that helps you sleep at night... ;)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: The backup that helps you sleep at night... ;)

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:08 am
Nothing keeps me up at night, but I wouldn’t like to be without a Spring. :)

Those buddies would sure make a hungry sneaky saltie think twice before coming for you as its meal, Bloke :)
Jimbo2

Post by Jimbo2 »

This is how my spydie habit got so expensive. If I like a design I always buy two. I'm now limiting myself to how many variations I buy to specific models (because I want to stay married).
The Yojimbo 2 is one that I have bought and will continue to buy in every release. That includes things like dealer mods such as the acid wash variation.
The only release of the Yo2 I wasn't able to get a backup for was the recent Jade M4 DLC.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jimbo2 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:15 am
This is how my spydie habit got so expensive. If I like a design I always buy two. I'm now limiting myself to how many variations I buy to specific models (because I want to stay married).
The Yojimbo 2 is one that I have bought and will continue to buy in every release. That includes things like dealer mods such as the acid wash variation.
The only release of the Yo2 I wasn't able to get a backup for was the recent Jade M4 DLC.
That sounds costly indeed... ;)

And: Welcome to the forum (I can see you're a member for like a year, but just right now began posting, right?)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:00 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:07 am
Hoarding a sprint or exclusive just to keep in a box bothers me a bit, because there's most likely someone out there that wasn't quick enough to get one, that would actually carry it and maybe even use it, while it wastes away in a safe or wherever and this person goes and spends so much more money on the secondary market because it's their only option at this point (I know, it's up to the person to spend what they are willing to spend and all that. I just don't like the way that shakes out and this person gets a raw end of the deal)
this and the flippers. i missed out on the one knife i actually want because of these 2 types of ppl. my holy grail (para 3 in m390). now i cant get even 1 under 240$. anyone see one plz plz let me know.
Those were in stock forever at BBS, got another run coming soon from DLT
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I had a backup K390 Urban but I liked mine so much I gave it to my buddy and am now using the backup as the main blade. More K390 please even if it has to be on a PM3 :P
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:08 am
Nothing keeps me up at night, but I wouldn’t like to be without a Spring. :)

Now I want a second Junction after seeing this shot. :D

I do have a handful of pacific salts and a spare Salt1 as back ups.
Use pacific salts and salts for fishing and always have at least 2 in the boat
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've only had backups of the Southard when they discontinued it, but since my tastes have changed away from titanium framelock flippers, I sold the backups and kept only the original.

I do plan on buying two of the cruwear micarta Shamans, however. That knife is going to get a bunch of hard use and I'd definitely like to have a backup.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have backups of only two knives, both recent: the teal s30v dragonfly, and the cruwear delica. Two of my favorite models, in two of the best steels that have been available on those models (for my tastes and needs, anyhow). I also generally feel bad buying two of super popular sprint models, but both of these were available at multiple dealers over the course of multiple days, and hung around for sometimes a couple days at those places, so I didn't feel like I was snatching one out of someone else's hands by buying backups.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sold all my backups. Too many years went by without needing them so I sold them and spent the money on other knives. In the end backups were just tying up money I would rather spend elsewhere.

I do have multiple flavors of knives I enjoy. For example, I had two 2013 Forum Native5s so I sold one of them. What if I lose my only 2013 Forum Native? Oh well, I have 5 other natives to choose from. What if i lose my beloved Cruwear Military or my cherished Super Blue Delica? Oh well, I have many other Militaries and Delicas to choose from.

In the end they are only knives and I have too many. ;) :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have multiple versions of certain knives that I like, but no doubles. I'd of course miss a knife if I lost it, but I have so many, I'd move on. The ones I'd want doubles of are exclusives or really expensive, in either case couldn't get another one if I wanted to.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
foofie

Post by foofie »

Over the past few years, I purged all my backups (exact duplicates). One of the joys of Spyderco is the variations on a theme - getting my favorite platform in m390, s110v, rex45, and now maxamet. I caved a bit and bought a backup maxamet. Not hoarding a sprint, but this is a steel I can readily imagine going away for a very long time. The irony is that one maxamet blade might actually last me forever.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've got three SE Pacific Salts. I keep one in the box NIB, and I have a black version and a satin version that I use. The black one is older, more broken in, and has a better edge. I pocket it on days I'm too lazy to touch up the satin one, which has become my EDC.

I had some Police 3 back-ups too, but I sold them after the VG10 Police 4 was announced.

I like having multiples of knives I use every day, especially if they get discontinued like the P3 was.
:unicorn
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Caly 3 HAP40, it is a sprint and it is discontinued but when I got the first one imported from the states I was surprised at how good it was. For me perfect ergos, very snappy and smooth deployment, it's not delica thin but it falls in line with it being a robust ergonomic little wonder with no downsides to me. Hap40 sharpening up so easy to a working edge on 250 grit diamond stones with a few strokes on uf and strop and it's good to go or you can take it all the way. Personally I refine my working edges to 650 or 1100 and that's more then enough cutting strength.
Bought another immediately when it went up on a national dealer..

Another I'm on the lookout for is an ikuchi. One of my favorite knives to grab around the house or simply put - not at work. By miracle I managed to grab one at launch, since then I've seen eta's being pushed up from days to weeks to months to not available right now. Lastly I got a few pm2's, because it's my most carried knife and spyderco doesn't offer replacement blades so I like to be set for the next decennia. Once I find what I like I stick with it so thats why.
No duplicates for the rest. I do want a lightweight Endura though as I only have the pakkawood one. Does that count?
JaxBaron

Post by JaxBaron »

I have a backup for a few of the sprint run para 3 and Spydiechef. I plan on buying a back up Caribbean leaf plain edge just incase they are discontinued.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Never had a backup, but i think the right Shaman will change that.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I just got a backup for my zt 0470. It's fun comparing the new and my normal carry one. The new one is a bit stiff and not as smooth (probably just needs breaking in, but I'll disassemble and clean/lube it anyway) and my well used one just falls shut with a little shake. Lockbar tension may have something to do with it as well. They both lock up at about the same percentage.

Going to get a bento box pm2 as well, but I guess that's more a variation than a backup! And of course I want another amalgam... Lol.

Need to sell a few knives I guess...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela