Maxamet Paramilitary 2...return of the king!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DukeNiemand

Re: Maxamet Paramilitary 2...return of the king!

Post by DukeNiemand »

Just got mine from BHQ. It's got a beautiful, slick, shiny finish. It seems almost like a polished stonewash. Definitely the best action I've experienced in an out of the box PM2 - drops shut and no blade play in any direction. Centering is spot on as well.
PicsArt_06-05-11.37.11.jpg
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, I came close -- got an in-stock notification. Grabbed a snack to think it over, then they were all gone. The answer is having your mind all made up and be ready to jump and hit that button when the opportunity arises.

I'm just not sure that I need yet one more PM2 -- but is is Maxamet, and the long awaited Maxamet after all.
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

In stock @ BHQ
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Mm1313 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 am
In stock @ BHQ

was able to add one to my cart at 10:45...man these things are moving slow today!! lol. :D i have no interest in PM2s or Maxamet though so I'll leave it for the next guy! you are welcome!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

but on the other hand, think how much money I could make flipping these at $300 a pop?!? should i do it???? :D

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sold out at 11:05. So 8 sold in 17 minutes. PLENTY of time! :) Hope everyone who wanted one was able to get one. If not, it should at least be encouraging that these were available for a good 23 minutes after Mm1313's post.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Just ordered one from White Mountain Knives. At the time of this posting there are 14 left.

edit: You may have to search the part number (C81GPDGY2) as they misspelled maxamet.

edit2: 10% off with code"sharpstuff"

edit3: All gone
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:43 pm
Just ordered one from White Mountain Knives. At the time of this posting there are 14 left.

edit: You may have to search the part number (C81GPDGY2) as they misspelled maxamet.

edit2: 10% off with code"sharpstuff"

edit3: All gone
Thank you for posting this! I managed to snag one before they sold out.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

I received one of mine today. The pivot was overtightened and the knife was very stiff. I had to use more force than I am comfortable with to get the pivot to crack loose. It is now much smoother and dropping shut. There is only one perfect tightness between too tight and blade play. Took a minute to get dialed in.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Has anyone seen the Maxamet PM2 come through SFO yet (spydercos website )? I've been watching daily. ..unless they sold out before I noticed! I'm thinking they took the stock from SFO to the show.
Congratulations to everyone who scored.

James
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

So what about Maxamet would make me pay $200 for a PM2 over say my CTS 204P model?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:41 pm
So what about Maxamet would make me pay $200 for a PM2 over say my CTS 204P model?
Edge retention?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... d=43566811
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
How much did you pay for your CTS 204P model?
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:08 pm
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Not sure honestly.

Also not trying to down Maxamet just curious how it differs from steels I already have.

Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:06 pm
jpm2 wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Not sure honestly.

Also not trying to down Maxamet just curious how it differs from steels I already have.
It's almost 10 points harder on the Rockwell scale, while some of the production 20cv/204p/m390 has been seen as low as 57rc from various companies the Maxamet is +67rc so it's also enjoyable to get a steel that isn't watered down in hardness.
That Hardness is a component of strength meaning it holds its apex better rather then just blunting down and rolling over.

So it physically cuts longer than any steel ever made by a production knife company.

The trade off is it requires better stones and a user that understands the limits and trade offs of something that is not balanced but on the extreme side of the spectrum.

There is plenty of YouTube videos and Information you can find with search feature.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:58 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Not sure honestly.

It's almost 10 points harder on the Rockwell scale, while some of the production 20cv/204p/m390 has been seen as low as 57rc from various companies the Maxamet is +67rc so it's also enjoyable to get a steel that isn't watered down in hardness.
That Hardness is a component of strength meaning it holds its apex better rather then just blunting down and rolling over.

So it physically cuts longer than any steel ever made by a production knife company.

The trade off is it requires better stones and a user that understands the limits and trade offs of something that is not balanced but on the extreme side of the spectrum.

There is plenty of YouTube videos and Information you can find with search feature.
Well said.

Now I want one.

Ok Sal, regular Millie in Maxamet?

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Deadboxhero wrote:

Can you please go into more details regarding the limits and what to expect if those limits are exceeded? Are we talking catastrophic failure here? So if I drop it off my roof onto concrete is it going to chip massively/shatter? If you reach the limit of apex stability, what type of failure are we going to see? I tend to think of this stuff like a diamond or granite. Super hard, but you can still shatter or fracture it if you exceed the limits. But I sold mine before I pushed the limits because I didnt want to destroy a $200 knife.

I've seen dealer websites tout the "toughness" of Maxamet and saw a user on BF comment that he was going to buy one of the PM2s for a hard use knife. Makes me nervous to see this stuff. To me this is the opposite of a hard use knife. If I still had one I would reserve it for cardboard cutting only. Maybe I am way off here. What do you think?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is super hard with super high carbide volume. The edge is far more likely to chip than roll and the blade is far more likely to break than bend.

I don’t find Maxamet brittle but whoever is saying it is tough has a different definition of tough than me. In the knife world it is common to conflate strength and toughness.

I use Maxamet for all the same tasks I use any other folder for but I am a user and not an abuser. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:19 am
Deadboxhero wrote:

Can you please go into more details regarding the limits and what to expect if those limits are exceeded? Are we talking catastrophic failure here? So if I drop it off my roof onto concrete is it going to chip massively/shatter? If you reach the limit of apex stability, what type of failure are we going to see? I tend to think of this stuff like a diamond or granite. Super hard, but you can still shatter or fracture it if you exceed the limits. But I sold mine before I pushed the limits because I didnt want to destroy a $200 knife.

I've seen dealer websites tout the "toughness" of Maxamet and saw a user on BF comment that he was going to buy one of the PM2s for a hard use knife. Makes me nervous to see this stuff. To me this is the opposite of a hard use knife. If I still had one I would reserve it for cardboard cutting only. Maybe I am way off here. What do you think?
Well it's not going to explode xD

I've spent a great deal of time documenting videos about that you can see them all on YouTube

But yeah, what Darby said :D
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Not sure honestly.
Can't say much more about maxamet that hasn't already been said and documented, except I've found the limit of mine and try not to exceed it anymore.
I only have one specimen, which I feel is a good one, but with the possible heat treat variances, everyones mileage may vary.

No experience with 204P or its cousins, but I'll go out on a limb and guess at ~63 hrc, it will be at least, or more chip prone than maxamet at ~67 hrc, plus have far less edge strength and retention; At ~61 hrc or less, it will roll the edge with less pressure than would take to chip maxamet. Either way, making it more prone to damage.
I make the above theoretical assessment based on my experience with supposedly tougher steels like zwear(cpm-cruwear) and 3v.