Maxamet Paramilitary 2...return of the king!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

Re: Maxamet Paramilitary 2...return of the king!

Post by Spyderman91 »

After reading through the comments, being part of the original hype, and succeeding in securing a pm2 on release I felt compelled to respond. Sidenote: I am excited to see some hard use videos with maxamet... I know the Russians won't let us down.

For the people asking: "Is it really worth 200 bucks". Think of it this way... Maxamet is extremely tough to work with, and very few knife makers can
even shape / Heat Treat the way Spyderco has. The finish on the knife I received is absolutely beautiful; I wish we saw more stonewashed blades from Spyderco because it is nothing like the Shaman SW (Which is amazing), and looks more of a satin finish with sw undertones. I don't have much experience with tool steels but being around the community for roughly a year has made me more interested. I've made the Spyderco bushcraft my official camp knife for it's build and O1 steel qualities, so far it has definitely lived up to it's name sake. I also, have a m4 yojimbo I plan to use, and this maxamet pm2 will be a nice additional to the experimental rotation.

I generally edc the tried a true s30v pm2, the shaman and spydiechef... All of which have far exceeded my needs for daily tasks, and even some bullshitty ones (like making pointy spears out of sticks in the middle of the woods). Best part about different steels it's noticing the nuances that come with use and sharpening of the tool. It is definitely a rabbit hole.... when does it stop, and where do we go from here is anyone's guess, but as a consumer I am happy to see so much choice and variety in the market.

Also...... the dlc m4 pm2 from BladeHQ was roughly 175 bucks. So 15 bucks more for one of the few, if only stonewashed pm2s in an exotic rare sought after steel seems reasonable IMO. It is a production piece, but I have a feeling these will slowly trickle into the market instead of coming in waves.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

15 of these in stock @ BHQ! Go! Go! Go!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
glee719

Post by glee719 »

Grabbed one!
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Back in stock at National Knives.

SOLD OUT
5pins

Post by 5pins »

At least it's taking longer for them to sell out now.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

4 in stock at BHQ
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:41 pm
So what about Maxamet would make me pay $200 for a PM2 over say my CTS 204P model?
I don't have a PM2 in 204P/M390/20CV, but have other knives in M390 and 20CV and although I've only just begun to play with Maxamet, so far I'm blown away with Maxamet's edge retention.

I cut a few hundred feet of cardboard with the Maxamet PM2 this afternoon and it's still able to whittle hair! No other steel I've tried has even come close to what I'm seeing.

-Turbo
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Just got an email notice that Lamnia has 10 in stock now. Thought maybe some would be interested.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Knife Center looks to have a couple available at the moment.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Did the king really return I feel like the hype is dying down... anyone got more user stories?

I just got a smock in a recent trade and I can't put it down long enough to give Maxamet it's proper due.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

While I'm not a hard user, I've been putting it through the paces for the last 3 weeks, mostly cardboard (hundreds of feet), cut a few small branches, zip ties and general office edc stuff. It will still do all the above tasks but it's finally ready for a sharpening.

It still scrape shaved until I cut this can in half and stabbed through it twice. Still cuts paper but has a few spots that catch. I'm a fan!

-Turbo
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

Not live at Spyderco. Just saying.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I guess dlt had some of these earlier today but now their website says out of stock.
Anyway...

In stock at blade hq.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I recently bought my first para military 2, the S45VN sprint, and I'd like to find one of these in Maxamet.

Are there any of these available anywhere? I've considered trading a second S45VN for the Maxamet, but I'd prefer not to get ripped off or end up with a factory second.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Rinzler wrote: I recently bought my first para military 2, the S45VN sprint, and I'd like to find one of these in Maxamet.

Are there any of these available anywhere? I've considered trading a second S45VN for the Maxamet, but I'd prefer not to get ripped off or end up with a factory second.
I wouldnt recommend trading a sprint for a production model. Maybe if you were making up the price difference.

They do seem to be out of stock everywhere, but they will come back eventually.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Post by kobold »

It's new and looks new - cutting an apple right now - the first job.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

yes! i've been waiting for these for a few years. i already got the PM2 and i just ordered the Para 3 last night. Maxemet is no joke :spyder:
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN