The Species ( or type) Of Spyder That Hooked You?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: The Species ( or type) Of Spyder That Hooked You?

Post by abbazaba »

Had a couple before, but the GB1 hooked me. Buying that knife was a great decision, and it's had no problem surviving all my questionable decisions :D That sexy Taichung CF laminate is a freaking champ when it comes to wear... Carried it for the first time in a while last week :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The Endura got me in 1992. $30 or so at a gun show. It opened up a whole new chapter for me. I mostly carried Barlow knives and a few lockbacks before that. Wood and brass and carbon steel.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:27 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 pm

Made this quick photo just moments ago. This is the Spyderco that started it all for me. It once had a needle nose tip which I accidentally snapped off doing something I shouldn't have about 25 years ago. It was just a tiny bit so no big deal. Had it reground and now it's stronger than before. Polished out most of the scratches and resharpened to hair shaving sharp.

Wow! Beautiful! Do you still carry it and use it??
Glad you like it. Retired it about 20 years ago and keep it for sentimental reasons.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:35 pm
I love that knife!!
Assuming you are commenting on my C01 Worker. There's a lot to love about it!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I am 👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

First real spyderco was the delica and I got a few other nice ones (pm2, para3, etc) but it was the native5 that made me go "wow". I have a few other ones I love for various reasons but the native5 and its vairants are the ones I carry most often. I now have 3 natives if you count the lil native backlock. for a smaller knife it is just a very good design and fits my hand well. I would say the pm2 is the ideal everyday knife in terms of use but in terms of all aspects including carry, ergonomics, style, etc. for some reason I just luv those natives...
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

DELICA 4 - Black FRN, VG10

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The first one that got me excited was the PM2. I no longer have that model, and I haven't felt the need to replace it. Right now the Sage 2 is dominating my pocket time. If this knife got lost in the mail (like my PM2 did) I would replace it (or some other model from the Sage line) immediately. I never really could articulate why this is until now. I was watching Nick Shabazz disassemble the TRM Atom. I thought the smaller Neutron was a beautiful knife, and now that they have a larger version I was thinking that maybe I should get one. There is just so much to like. But then the disassembly got to the point where you had to remove the backspacers. First, they aren't shouldered. So parts just started falling off the knife. There is only one screw that goes from one titanium liner to the next. If the threading gets messed up, you have to replace the entire liner. Once Nick moved on the reassembling the knife, he said you have to "spear" the backspacers with the screws. He then went on to use tweezers to line up the backspacers, and even commented that it was "easier" than expected. Compare that to my Sage 2, nothing falls off when you remove the screw for the backspacer (i.e. I won't be losing the backspacer if it takes a funny bounce), you only need to replace the backspacer if something bad happens to the threading, you don't have to spear crap because the backspacers are shouldered, and I don't expect the disassembly/reassembly to be anything remotely close to difficult. I still stand by my previous assertion that the Sage line is not a good looking knife. But those ergos! And the thought that went into making the knife sane and practical are miles ahead of the Atom. Every so often, I get the urge to buy a new knife. Largely this is driven by looks. But when I stop and think about the many ways other knives fall short of my Sage 2, I don't end up making the purchase. This knife has really set the bar for me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's amazing to me how many of you have stated that the PM2 was the model that got you all hooked. And there is something special about those GOLDEN,CO USA Earth made Spyders. It's also been interesting to me as to how many of you got your start with many of the smaller models like the Delica, PM3 and others in that size range.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has yet to list one of their specialty models. But I'm sure that this thread has a lot more fuel in it so I'll take a "wait & see" on that one.

Also it seems like Spyderco folders are responsible for more people becoming addicted to Spyderco than any other variant of their great knives.

I'm also wondering if any of you got their sharpening equipment before you ever got one of their knives? Because I did own a couple of pieces of their sharpening equipment before I bought my first Spyderco folder.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Worker first, then Sharpmaker. Then all downhill from there!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
Sometime back in the 90's, a buddy gave me a first gen. SE Delica, my first "real" knife, which I still have and carry.
That prompted a trip to Smokey Mountain Knife Works, where I purchased a SE Howard Viele collaboration folder, and those two knives started my addiction.
Twenty plus years, and about 75 Spyderco's later, I'm still a big serrated edge fan, even though the majority of my knives are PE.
Later, Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:53 am
So we've finally got someone else besides me that Spyderco's sharpening equipment may have actually opened up the door. That should be more true today than it was 20 some years ago. In the past year I've talked to two people locally that bought a 204 Sharpmaker at our local Bass Pro shop in INdependence MO but they have yet to buy a Spyderco knife. That might be more common that we might think.

Even though the C-01 Worker model was their first one out of the gate it was three years after I bought my Stainless handled GIN-1, SE Mariner before I ever got my first WORKER model. For years I've asked for a Worker in ZDP-189 but my requests have been ignored. But I would settle with Hap 40 or any other newer/better blade steel.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

You could do a fabulous Worker tribute starting with a stretch or para3
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My first Spydie was a Cruwear Manix 2 grey g10. Still have and love that knife! It still sees decent pocket time although the Smock sees most of it. (Cruwear Smock sprint run please). It opened my eyes to both Spyderco and high quality steel. I suspect many of the models I now own would’ve prompted more Spyderco purchases but the Manix2 was the one that hooked me.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I never thought it would happen, but I absolutely love serrated edge knives!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:25 pm
I also love Spyderco's patented Spyderedged serrations. Until I got my first Spyderco folder I never really cared much for serrations or even knew how potentially valuable they can be on many different cutting jobs. Also the only Hawkbill blade I really ever owned or worked with was a Buck Linoleum knife >> yeah!! believe it or not at one time the BUCK knife company made a lot of linoleum knives for handymen and guys in the profession of installing linoleum or doing certain types of tile work. But when I got a couple of Spyderco's Hawkbill blades thanks to my good eternal Spyder-Buddy the honorable Dr. Hannibal Lecter who pointed out just how viable and useful of a cutting tool they are on certain jobs. And coupled with Spyderco's great serrations you've just got a WIN-WIN situation any way you look at it.

It really bothers me to see Spyderco doing less with serrated ( Spyderedges) than they used to. Because if more people knew the true tool value of a high quality knife with high quality serrations the entire knife market would change. And I do hope that Spyderco does more to check out different types of serration patterns too. Because not every serration pattern is good on all jobs. And I don't even see a close second of any other company that does serrated blades nearly as good as Spyderco presently does.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:36 pm
bearrowland wrote:
I also love Spyderco's patented Spyderedged serrations. Until I got my first Spyderco folder I never really cared much for serrations or even knew how potentially valuable they can be on many different cutting jobs. Also the only Hawkbill blade I really ever owned or worked with was a Buck Linoleum knife >> yeah!! believe it or not at one time the BUCK knife company made a lot of linoleum knives for handymen and guys in the profession of installing linoleum or doing certain types of tile work. But when I got a couple of Spyderco's Hawkbill blades thanks to my good eternal Spyder-Buddy the honorable Dr. Hannibal Lecter who pointed out just how viable and useful of a cutting tool they are on certain jobs. And coupled with Spyderco's great serrations you've just got a WIN-WIN situation any way you look at it.

It really bothers me to see Spyderco doing less with serrated ( Spyderedges) than they used to. Because if more people knew the true tool value of a high quality knife with high quality serrations the entire knife market would change. And I do hope that Spyderco does more to check out different types of serration patterns too. Because not every serration pattern is good on all jobs. And I don't even see a close second of any other company that does serrated blades nearly as good as Spyderco presently does.

It's funny you mention the Buck as I was just trying to find a decent quality (well, as good of quality as you can get for <$20) serrated linoleum knife on eBay to use for cutting old rotting canvas weed barrier out of rocky clay soil. I saw a few of those bucks, but no new in box ones. I actually have a saved search on eBay so I can buy a new in box one if one pops up! :D

I was thinking how great it would be if Spyderco made a fulled spyderedged fixed blade linoleum knife in their Byrd line for under $30 with a nice molded grip! I also recently picked up the Byrd Hawkbill, a Tasman Salt, and a Dfly Salt Hawkbill. And a Delica Combo Edge. On a major hawkbill and spyderedge binge!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:53 am
Hey Woodpuppy? Was your first Sharpmaker an older 203 unit or did you start out with the newer 204? Because I've talked to a lot of guys in the past 2 years that tell me they still have their 203 Sharpmakers and kept them even when they stepped up and got the newer/better 204 Sharpmaker.

Also was your WORKER model one of the older GIN-1 models? or which blade steel did it have?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:43 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:36 pm
bearrowland wrote:

It's funny you mention the Buck as I was just trying to find a decent quality (well, as good of quality as you can get for <$20) serrated linoleum knife on eBay to use for cutting old rotting canvas weed barrier out of rocky clay soil. I saw a few of those bucks, but no new in box ones. I actually have a saved search on eBay so I can buy a new in box one if one pops up! :D

I was thinking how great it would be if Spyderco made a fulled spyderedged fixed blade linoleum knife in their Byrd line for under $30 with a nice molded grip! I also recently picked up the Byrd Hawkbill, a Tasman Salt, and a Dfly Salt Hawkbill. And a Delica Combo Edge. On a major hawkbill and spyderedge binge!
I got my BUCK linoleum knife in a knife trade I did right after I had just joined BLADEFORUMS back in 2004. And I've kept it and used it ever since. I don't know what steel they used in BUCK's Linoleum knives but it does hold an edge a lot better than the old/ancient one that I got from my late dad's tools. And it's got a great handle on it too. I would love to find an extra one just to keep on hand. Because this BUCK linoleum knife is the best I've ever used and I've used a lot of them over the years. Before I had gotten that one I had no idea that BUCK made stuff like that. And the one I got is really decent quality too.

I would just love to see what kind of Linoleum knife that Spyderco would come up with>> yeah and as usual I would want it to be available in PE & SE both :D
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

👍👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032